Wierd problem opening Right Front Door

Need custom module programming for your Caprice PPV? Chris White is here to answer your questions.
Forum rules
Please note & respect that Chris has full-time employment. General questions can be posted here, but for specific individual needs please contact him via his website. SPECIAL NOTE - We have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
sardillim

Wierd problem opening Right Front Door

Post by sardillim »

For some reason I can't open my right front door from either the inside or outside handle. I didn't think it would be a big deal to fix until I realized I can't get the trim panel off with the door closed. The only Idea I can come up with is to take off the center pillar trim and try to un bolt the striker from the inside. Anybody have any other ideas?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Wierd problem opening Right Front Door

Post by smwalker »

I do not think you could unbolt the hinge because even if you could turn the bolt it would back up into the closed door.

I would say you need a Slim Jim expert to try and grab the latch arm on the the back of the latch. Not an easy task. But make easier if you can lower the window and they can get a flashlight in there to see whats going on.

I cant imagine both of your rods fell off at the same time. Post some pics of what broke, may have found a weak spot in the PPV!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

The Caprice doesn't have rods on the door for the lock or latch. They are cables with a retention barrel similar to the old throttle cable on an EFI throttle body.

Good Luck!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

This is the even weirder part I can feel both the interior and exterior cables pulling the lever on the latch. I have a feeling something has failed on the latch itself. I'm going to pull one of the bolts out of the drivers striker to get an idea how long it is
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Sure you cant get the door panel off with the door shut? How about if you removed the front seats from out the drivers door? Or does part of the panel rest against another interior piece? Could that be removed with the door shut?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

There are 3 screws across the bottom of the door and two on the front edge of the door panel. None of these are accessible with the door closed. The front two screws are buried behind the dash. Just look at the driver's side as a mirror image. Have you tried to hold the inside door latch open and "pop and/or push " the door open? My passenger door was becoming increasingly more tough to open. I could tell that I had the same pulling tension on both driver's side and passenger side exterior handles, up until the last little bit. Spraying the latch assembly with lubricant eliminated the noticeable, last little bit of force needed. Maybe "popping" the door from the inside will get the latch to release.

Good Luck!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Is your car under 3 year/36,000 mile warranty?
Do you have an account with My Chevrolet to know when all your warranties expire?
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

Tried all of Maurice's suggestions, the car is still under warrenty I just hate bringing it to the dealer ( would rather do it my self) looks more and more like that's the only option if removing the striker from the inside doesn't work.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Good Luck! I hate having the dealerships work on my vehicles also! I enjoy a challenge, but sometimes the aggravation gives way to allowing the warranty do it's job!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

ok car went to the dealer Saturday. they looked at for 10 minute and ordered a latch. when I asked how they are going to open the door the tech who happened to be at the service desk said that he was going to put a pry bar down the window opening and smash the latch until it opens. unbelievable!!!