How To - Convert Factory Key to Aftermarket Flip Key

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
smwalker
Administration Staff

How To - Convert Factory Key to Aftermarket Flip Key

Post by smwalker »

So I wanted to see what kind of batteries the remotes took (found out they are CR2032) since one of mine seemed to be getting low. And got a little overzealous and cracked the case of my factory key. DOH! I bought some aftermarket flip key cases from China a few months back ($12.00 each off Ebay, multiple sellers) but never got around to doing the conversion since I figured I would need the assistance of a locksmith to cut the new key. Since I broke the key any way figured I would tear into it and see what could be done. Turned out very nice.

So first I confirmed with the key unlock buttons detached from the key you can still start the car. Which means there is a transponder chip somewhere in the head of the key assembly. I could really only see one area that was thick enough to house it. I scratched a bit at the surface of it thinking the chip would be housed in some silicone or something but all I felt was hard plastic. So started ripping and tearing at the plastic to see what I could remove. Not much is the answer. So I moved to a bench grinder to thin out the plastic walls a bit.

So once the chip was loose I then inserted it into the head of the new flip key case. It goes in the top section where the key pivots. You remove the small Phillips head screw at the back to separate the key pivot section of the case. Then you will see the spot for the chip. Pops right in.

Then I turned my attention to the key shaft. Still had a lot of plastic attached to it after I broke it out of the case. Turned to the bench grinder again to remove the plastic attached to the metal shaft.

Once it was all clear of black plastic I could see the shaft was very similar to the key blank that came with the new case. All except for a pin slot at the top of the key shaft that is used to hold the key in the base by inserting a metal pin to wedge it into the base.

So lining up the shoulders of the new and old key shafts I could see the slot runs right through the middle of the hole that is present on the original key. SO I used a dremmel cut off wheel and made a slot right through the middle of the hole. Went a little too deep on mine so be careful those things cut fast.

Getting the key shaft back into the base was a bit difficult. Seems the factory key is a bit thicker and wider at the top than the China clone. Not much, but enough to cause an issue. Little fineness on the grinder made it slide in. Re secured the pin into the base to lock the shaft in place and it formed a solid unit.

Reassembled the case ( I may need to do a video on how to do that it's a bit involved ) and put a Holden sticker on the back and it is good to go. The case came with a Pontiac and Bow Tie Sticker but I got the Holden ones from the "Badge Man" Gary Whitby. I swapped over my internal circuit board and fresh battery into the new case but you can just transfer over your original buttons and battery if you prefer. They should fit just like factory.

On Ebay a good search term for the item is "3+Panic Key Fob Case caprice"

From what I hear you can get replacement chips and program them to the car. Might be a better option than grinding the old one out? Anyone looked into those?

EDIT: Found out some more info on the Chips: The chips are Philips 2nd Generation Crypto chips. You can get them individually. I see one on ebay now for about $9.00. The Philips Crypto 2nd generation transponder chip is also known as the 46 chip or the Philips Crypto. All the ads I see says you have to take them to the dealer for programming but many of the G8 guys have been programming it themselves successfully using the instructions in the owners manual . Basically you have to have a good working key to do it. Turn the car on with your good key, turn it off and within 5 seconds put in the new programmed key and turn to the run position. Done. May want to buy one in case the grinding gets out of hand! LOL

Second Edit: Although I did not have the key blank cut in the new flip case I bought I noticed something I should bring up in case any of you are planning on getting the new key blank cut. It seems all the sellers on Ebay list our cars and the G8 as compatible with a HU43 key blade. When in reality our cars and the G8 come with a GM45 key blade. Slight difference so maybe they are compatible and will work either way but I am not sure so I just thought I would point it out. Seems the HU43 came factory in the GTO's so not sure if the sellers are just assuming compatibility in later years with all Pontiac's from AU.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
l77

Re: How To - Convert Factory Key to Aftermarket Flip Key

Post by l77 »

Nice write up! Plan to do the same. I am fine with arrowhead key fob though (previous G8 owner).
x-pro1/x-pro2/x-t30
8/12/18/35/60/90mm
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

I just did this mod on mine. My chip did not look anything like the pictures here. I had some sort of ceramic coating or something around my chip. It worried me so I only shaved enough of this coating to get the chip into the new fob. Maybe I just did not grind enough to get to the actual chip but the ceramic stuff was defiantly different then the plastic that I had been shaving off.

SMWALKER, do you have a website for the "Badge Man" I want a Chevy sticker for mine ( or maybe you still have the one you did not use? )
I am very happy with the new Flip Key. Now I just have to keep the Dealer from walking away with it if I have to service the Car.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I managed to get mine done with factory parts before the recall took all the Zeta flip keys away.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57&hilit=flip+key&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still had the original fixed keys and had the recall done with them, but I'm keeping the flippers--so far, so good.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

mercialogo wrote:I just did this mod on mine. My chip did not look anything like the pictures here. I had some sort of ceramic coating or something around my chip.
Was yours the new after recall key? THe one I chopped up was the factory key, wonder if they updated the recall ones?

PM me you address, think I have 2 of the Chevy Logos, let me know if you want both of them. I think Gary only has the Holden Logos. He is only on Facebook as far as I know. a closed group. See if I can get an email for him.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Yes, mine are the after recall keys.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Bringing this one from the dead. Just to add that I just did it to both of my keys but used the blank keys that came with them. They were exactly the same and had no issues getting them cut by the locksmith (other than cost of $60!). Now I don't have a key stabbing me in the thigh anymore!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Mooseman wrote:Bringing this one from the dead. Just to add that I just did it to both of my keys but used the blank keys that came with them. They were exactly the same and had no issues getting them cut by the locksmith (other than cost of $60!). Now I don't have a key stabbing me in the thigh anymore!
Hey Moose provide a link to where you got your case and blank key blade. Did they specifically say it was a GM45 blank?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RMLKS-F ... 73668.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't say anything about the blade type but just went on a hunch about getting it specifically for the Holden. Funny thing is that they included Pontiac emblems instead of Holden. Anyway, found some Chevy emblems on fleabay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2pc-Car-Remote-F ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there's also have Holden if anybody is interested.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/272825386070?ssP ... 1436.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
brewerb258

Post by brewerb258 »

Not to bring this back from the dead just wanted to follow up with information that Moose gave.

His links he gave are great. The key is correct however, you'll have to gut the circuit board out of a key set you have. The one they send you is blank and you'll have to buy a Philips crypto 46 transponder to put into the FOB. The hardest part is finding someone to cut the key.
2012 PC3 Caprice
3.6 LFX V6 w/ over 200k miles *SOLD* @250,000 Miles.

2013 9C1 Caprice
3.6 LFX V6 with 80k miles

"Dispatch, show me on a traffic stop."
"Uh you can disregard, I pulled the guy that pays my salary, got to let him go."