Are My Windshield Wiper Arms OK?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Zeos

Are My Windshield Wiper Arms OK?

Post by Zeos »

I have only had the car about a month and haven't taken it out in any hard rain yet but when I run the washer I noted the wipers were not only worn out and terrible but they didn't seem to wipe in the right spots. The passenger side was so small it hardly wiped anything and the driver side would leave a HUGE 13" area right in front of me un-wiped.

So I went to the store to get new blades.. Just like what was on the car a 26" and 15" but when I installed them and tested outside the car I noticed the driver side goes over the top of the window and the 15" could EASILY be replaced with a 24" and cover way more area without going over anything.

Here are some pictures with a 22" on the drivers side and a 24" on the passenger side..

Do you think someone put the wrong length arm/arms on the car? The measurement I can remember was from the pivot to the end of the arms 17" on the passenger side and 22" on the drivers side..

If I have to I will order a second passenger side and just run two 24" blades as that seems to fit best.

thanks for any help you guys can provide.
indianajoe

Re: Are My Windshield Wiper Arms OK?

Post by indianajoe »

The huge drivers side/tiny passenger side is the OEM configuration. Your picture looks like the lower portion of the driver's side of the windshield won't get wiped
kevink

Post by kevink »

That's not right. Your driver's side arm looks too long. The blades should not overlap when in the parked position; they should be about 1/2" to 1" apart. Can you switch the driver's and passenger side arms to see if that helps? Keep the short blade on the passenger side. If that doesn't work, you might have one or two wrong arms.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

indianajoe wrote:The huge drivers side/tiny passenger side is the OEM configuration. Your picture looks like the lower portion of the driver's side of the windshield won't get wiped
It doesn't wipe the bottom. Even with a 29" blade I put on it wasn't enough and it went WAY over the top of the windshield.
kevink wrote:That's not right. Your driver's side arm looks too long. The blades should not overlap when in the parked position; they should be about 1/2" to 1" apart. Can you switch the driver's and passenger side arms to see if that helps? Keep the short blade on the passenger side. If that doesn't work, you might have one or two wrong arms.
Ive managed to see a few stock pictures of how it is suppose to look and I can't tell if it is just the drivers side that is wrong or both.

Anyone got a tape measure?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea my vote is for the arms got swapped along the way. Thats funky lookin
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
kevink

Post by kevink »

I just looked at my car. The arm that has the curved lower portion, which you have on the passenger side, is supposed to go on the driver's side.
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

kevink wrote:I just looked at my car. The arm that has the curved lower portion, which you have on the passenger side, is supposed to go on the driver's side.
OK thanks, I think I am just going to order another short arm with the curved bottom and put it on the drivers side. So weird.

Anyone want to double check I am ordering the right thing? http://www.newgmparts.com/oe-gm/92191437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kevink

Post by kevink »

Why are you going to do that? Swap your arms left to right and put the correct length blades on them if they are not the right ones and you're all set.