Where is everyone?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
impaladakid

Where is everyone?

Post by impaladakid »

Seems like a handful of people are here, and a lot seemed to have dropped off after 2018. Is there a FB group people moved over to? I can't seem to find one. I prefer it here, but would like to see the group there too.
Phantom Black 2012 9C1 L77

Past cars
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
1995 Caprice 1A2 police wagon
3 1994 caprice 9C1s
4 Buick Roadmaster Wagons
2 1995 Cadillac Fleetwoods
2 1994 Impala SS
1 1996 Impala SS
1 1996 Roadmaster sedan
1 1995 Roadmaster Sedan
1 1992 caprice 9C6
1 1991Caprice
1 1987 Grand National
1 1986 Camaro IROC 5 speed
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by elc32955 »

There's a few Facebook groups that I'm aware of. One is for general PPV info & topics, another is parts & cars for sale. The link to the main Facebook group is in our links section off the main site menu, for the for-sale group the link is in our cars for sale section in the first post with all the links. Like many special interest topics there's Caprice owners on Facebook only, owners on here only, and those that drift between the sites.

We have a lot of users that have been here from the start that are active or semi-active, but the biggest population seems to be folks that sign up, make a few posts on a special interest that they're pursuing, then go back into the shadows. Also as with all cars there is churn in ownership, sometimes people get rid of their Caprices and drop participation, meanwhile the new owners don't know we exist or just find the Facebook groups if they want to search something out. Our original core membership was pretty much derived from B-body owners (I was with GoFaSSt for instance) and we still see people from the old days show up that just drank the PPV kool-aid! :lol: :lol:

Happy hunting!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

A lot of people don't believe in forums or just use them to pull info. Personally, I hate FB and a firm believer in forums and the communities they create (I'm a member of several). Searching for any useful info in FB groups is garbage. Unfortunately, forums in general are on the decline regardless.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
impaladakid

Post by impaladakid »

Mooseman wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:38 pm A lot of people don't believe in forums or just use them to pull info. Personally, I hate FB and a firm believer in forums and the communities they create (I'm a member of several). Searching for any useful info in FB groups is garbage. Unfortunately, forums in general are on the decline regardless.
I am with you. I am not a fan of FB, and still like the forums. As an early member of the National Impala SS forum, going over to FB just lost something.
Phantom Black 2012 9C1 L77

Past cars
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
1995 Caprice 1A2 police wagon
3 1994 caprice 9C1s
4 Buick Roadmaster Wagons
2 1995 Cadillac Fleetwoods
2 1994 Impala SS
1 1996 Impala SS
1 1996 Roadmaster sedan
1 1995 Roadmaster Sedan
1 1992 caprice 9C6
1 1991Caprice
1 1987 Grand National
1 1986 Camaro IROC 5 speed
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

impaladakid wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:39 am Where is everyone?
I'm here

Jim.jpg
Jim.jpg (136.86 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
This forum is an encyclopedia set on the Caprice platform. A lot of time was spent building it and you're right, apparent activity is lower than past years (especially the early ones). There are many reasons for this and we're not alone.

Protocols on forums have changed over time. I belong to a couple. I've found that in "mature" forums, there's less to discuss. ...and activity is discouraged by the male equivalents of "Karens" responding "USE THE SEARCH FEATURE" when hapless victims ask questions. I think folks are more polite around here.

It's true that FB gets a lot of Caprice traffic. FB is similarly evolving and may (hopefully) go the way of AOL. The thing we all need to face is the rate of change. Not just that things are changing. The rate of change is accelerating. That is very difficult to fathom let alone "adapt to". We all have many more and new things to grab our attention. The days of sitting around at a gas station just shooting the breeze with a dozen car enthusiasts are numbered. Why would you do that when you could spend an hour or 3 on your computer every day learning a new skill or language? I spend a ton of time on "university of u tube" :oops: .

Having an "online presence" has trained (and built) many narcissists (about 1 out of 10 people - yup, you know some) who don't need to be accountable for what they say (no threat of a punch in chops for saying something terrible or stupid). It's bad that this happens (not here so much) but worse that people transfer this sentiment to the real world. We have many odd behaviors in the world right now that (in my opinion) are sourced from years of narcissistic "training" online.

I appreciate the hell out of this place - maturity and all. I think many others do as well. People are well behaved (shout out to moderators). Many of the problems/discussions have been hashed out and are now memorialized for anyone to enjoy. Thanks!

Quietly stepping down from soap box,
John
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I check-in here every couple of days or so. FB is the bane of my existance. FB isn't here to provide me with information. It doesn't make finding information easy. It doesn't make searching for parts on Marketplace easy. It ignores keyword searches and radius searches while adding paid ads. To put it frankly it is crap and only designed to make me spend as much time as possible on the website to show me ads. (Well attempt to at least, with Pihole and uBlock Origin taking care of that.) It is a shame to see the slow decline of forums which I don't understand. Forums make finding information I need so quick and easy. I don't see the allure of FB. Same with CL. I miss CL. CL is dead where I live. Everybody is on FB Marketplace now. CL search is awesome. CL email alerts are awesome.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

bstoner wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:01 pm I check-in here every couple of days or so. FB is the bane of my existance. FB isn't here to provide me with information. It doesn't make finding information easy. It doesn't make searching for parts on Marketplace easy. It ignores keyword searches and radius searches while adding paid ads. To put it frankly it is crap and only designed to make me spend as much time as possible on the website to show me ads. (Well attempt to at least, with Pihole and uBlock Origin taking care of that.) It is a shame to see the slow decline of forums which I don't understand. Forums make finding information I need so quick and easy. I don't see the allure of FB. Same with CL. I miss CL. CL is dead where I live. Everybody is on FB Marketplace now. CL search is awesome. CL email alerts are awesome.
But tell us how you really feel!! :lol:

Agreed with all of this, +1 bazillion. But I'm just a crotchety old man so what do I know. ;)

Still check in on occasion. With getting retired, and recovering from shoulder surgery, I don't get out so much, and now that oppressive season has kicked in in southeast Texas, I don't get out to the shop as often, so the 9C1 stays in the garage most of the time. I did get an IPFRacing printed console tray, but it looks like it's going to take a LOT of work to get it right. Just haven't wanted to get out there and get covered in resin dust. That, and other projects are currently taking precedent.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
BJH27

Post by BJH27 »

I still get good info on here. deleted FB awhile back...I still get replies on the couple times I've posted on here. but yea people move on. I've contemplated selling my PPV $$$ pit for awhile now haha.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

Yay forum, boo FB!

I appreciate this forum, good info from knowledgeable owners. I know the only thing that stays the same is that everything changes. But, I hope the change/decline is slow.
Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L
1996 Caprice LT1 B4U - Sold - So long my friend - it was a great 17 years!
2004 Suburban 2500 6.0L 4x4
2023 Silverado 3500 High Country
2013PBML77

Post by 2013PBML77 »

This site has been invaluable as I casually viewed it before buying my 2013 Caprice from Govdeals, thanks to Eric's common links to find Caprice's. I live in Virginia, and it is not often to see a Caprice in use. Maryland on the other hand uses and did use Caprice's. I plan on going to Spring Carlisle if anyone is interested in meeting up.

Mark

2013PBML77
Mark

2013 Black Caprice 9C1 L77
2004 Avalanche
1989 Corvette Convertible