RH Spotlight wiring

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
CommanderAdama

RH Spotlight wiring

Post by CommanderAdama »

Howdy, this is a general spotlight wiring question, which I almost put in the general section, but I think it belongs here. I may have missed it, if posted before. In the nutshell, my 2014 Caprice PPV came with no spotlights. Rather, the LH spot had been previously removed. I wanted to restore the left side spot, and figured I would add one to the right side as well. I purchased both lights and mounting hardware. Took a couple days to get them installed (weather permitting).
When I put in the left side I found the original power lead for it, so yay for the left side. Now there was never a right spot on this car, but of course it was an option. There is no power lead for this in the right A pillar. The right spot power would originate from the passenger side front fuse box (#5 to be exact). I could be wrong, but I don’t think GM made a bunch of main wiring harnesses……each having different wiring combinations based on options. Hoping this is true, there would be a power lead for the right spot in the main harness that enters the passenger cabin somewhere…..then teminates at a point where, if there had been a right spot installed, the wire would have continued up the right A pillar to the spot light.
SO………does anyone know if this is true, and if so, where the right spot power lead would pass through the firewall and where it teminates ? I must say that the service manuals are not helpful in this quest.
Or, do I need to uproot the main fuse box to run an independent wire from it, and route it to the right pillar ? I guess I could make a jump wire from the left pillar spot to the right side and share the circuit as well. Ideas ? Thanks, Bill
Bill
2014 Caprice PPV, 9C1, 6.0L
2011 Crown Victoria PI, 4.6L
1959 Thunderbird (modified) 390ci
elc32955
System Manager

Re: RH Spotlight wiring

Post by elc32955 »

Bill,

You might download the police technical guide for your car from our file section if you have not done so already, it'll give you information on the police upfit options including electrical wiring. Info for the RH spotlight "MAY" be in there, don't remember right off hand.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CommanderAdama

Post by CommanderAdama »

Thanks for the info. I have the PDF file for the police guide. It tells me the wire is red/gray originating from the “under the hood electrical center “, but nothing of whether the wire pre exists in one of the main harnesses up to some point….(nor its point of entry into the passenger compartment) to where it could be accessed in order to add a right side spot if so desired. I will probably have to upend the main fuse box to find what harness the wire enters (if it is there)…and try to trace it best I can. It’s a shame the GM books don’t have better illustrations. They are difficult to interpret (eg. detailed illustration of the engine compartment has an arrow pointing to a specific wiring harness, yet the picture is so detailed you can’t actually visualize the harness because it gets lost in the picture). My Ford CVPI books outlines each feature, its connections, and all its respective wiring….the components and wiring stand out in bold, while the rest of the picture is a faded background image……much easier to see. Oh well, sorry for the rambling……. I will move on, once it stops raining and dries up a bit.
Bill
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

HI CommanderAdama,

Welcome. I thought I read somewhere that the wiring for the right hand spot light was pre-existing, whether or not the spotlight was installed. I'll try to look at my parts car later today to see if i can confirm whether or not it is there and where it may be hidden.

On a different note, you mentioned CVPI books. I recently purchased a 2008 CVPI and have been looking for info/manuals for it. Any recommendations on where i may be able to get a copy of the books that you reference in this thread? Sounds like exactly what i am looking for.

Thanks,

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
CommanderAdama

Post by CommanderAdama »

Hey, that would be great if you could find the right hand spot wire hiding on your parts car. ! As for my shop manuals for my 2011 CVPI, mine was a set…..one had everything but the wiring diagrams, and the other was all the electrical stuff. Mine came from Ebay used, but were in great shape. I just searched for 2008 crown victoria police interceptor shop manual on ebay and got lots of hits. Some listings are for both books as a set, some listings are for one book or the other. Prices vary, but look to be pretty decent. Good luck !
Bill
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

HI Bill,

I took a look at my parts car today and unfortunately when it was decommissioned all of the wiring in the A pillars was removed. No drivers or passenger side spotlight or airbag wiring for me to view. Sorry i was unable to verify whether or not the spotlight wiring is pre-run in the passenger side. John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National