Removing cop wiring

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
Mich2112

Removing cop wiring

Post by Mich2112 »

I am in the process of finding my own PPV. I was wondering what people are finding when they clean these cars up. I’ve heard of cut wires and wondered if that’s true. I am looking at a 2014 and replacing the console with an SS console and covering the shifter hole with a 3d printed tray I have seen.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Removing cop wiring

Post by elc32955 »

Mich,

It varies from agency to agency as to what is done during vehicle decommissioning and prep for sale. If you search & read some of the topics here you'll get a pretty good idea some of the range of things that have been done to these cars. Some are pretty decently done by people that care with the agencies, others are done by prison inmates, others are done by contractors in which the performance is a crapshoot.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

Your trusted repair shop may have an extensive 172-point inspection that should test all components and may reveal upfitter/defitter issues, or hopefully lack thereof. :) https://www.gmcertified.com/content/dam ... k-list.pdf
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

My car was a NJ transit so it did not have a lightbar. It had lights in the back window and strobes in the taillights. They just cut the wires in the console when they removed the radio and cut the wires at the rear shelf when they removed the lights. They left all the wiring and everything in the console. I took apart some of the interior and removed all the extra wiring. I also removed the extra battery mount and wiring to reduce weight.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....