Surveillance mode switch sends clock on WN radio wonky!

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
elc32955
System Manager

Surveillance mode switch sends clock on WN radio wonky!

Post by elc32955 »

This is more of a curiosity then anything, but I thought I'd mention it here to see if it's a common bug or not. I've had the surveillance mode switch in my 2015 installed since I've had the car, but never had the opportunity or desire to try it until recently (I installed it because of the geebers running Daytona Spring Fling years ago - where my 2011 9C3 was tossed out of the car show for not being a "unique" car, didn't have a siren like they wanted!). Fine, here's a genuine piece of police-option equipment!

I was watching a SpaceX launch from Titusville and whilst waiting for the launch I thought I'd dim down the lighting - was running the heater & idling since it was in the 40's out. Well I threw the switch on and it killed most of the interior lighting including 100% of the radio screen illumination. Kicked it off after the launch (was only sitting like 20 minutes or so) and the radio came back on, except the displayed time was off about 5 hours. Reset the time then after I drove home I toggled the switch one more time just to check tightness in the dash (used the blank left seat heater control area for the mini-micro toggle) and went in for the night. Next day my wife was complaining about the time being off when she drove the car. I obligingly showed her how to reset the time on the radio, lo & behold - again off by 5 hours.

Things that make you go Hmmmm..... Anyone else see or duplicate this? Now I have a '16 SS radio in the car as opposed to the 9C1 unit since I wanted Nav, so maybe it's a quirk in the SS MyLink radio code.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Re: Surveillance mode switch sends clock on WN radio wonky!

Post by s/c'd cav »

i never hooked it up , so ive never tried it , its entirely possible that something got left out of programing for all the new stuff , or the SS radios arent equipped for it
maximoxxdi

Re: Surveillance mode switch sends clock on WN radio wonky!

Post by maximoxxdi »

Just recently I installed a few rocker switches for the surveillance mode, flashing lights, and manual shifting. I haven't really had a reason to use surveillance mode for an extended period of time yet, but the few times if turned it on just to show it off, I've never had to reset the clock. So that must be a strange bug with the SS radio if I had to guess.
M. Diaz

2014 PPV Phantom Black L77
- 2019 Camaro SS wheels