Smog (California Specific)

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Smog

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Maybe it is, I don't know for sure. The TxDOT (guys in charge of the inspection process) don't seem to state anywhere on their web site what a 'drive cycle' is! The guy at an inspection station told me the 100-mile bit. I find that preposterous, but have zero way of knowing until I drive, plug in the monitor, drive, plug in the monitor, etc. But he recounted story of another customer who had driven to Galveston and back, about a 60-mile round trip, and the damned sensors STILL weren't ready. I'll probably do something like that this weekend. It's getting annoying and taking time away from my brake rebuild on our 92 Camaro so I can get it inspected.

As I mentioned earlier, we have an O2 sensor that trips a light about once a quarter. I had _just_ cleared it, and took the car directly to the station and passed!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Have a blast... around here unless you try it on the highway at around 2am, good luck :lol:

I have never gone through that simply because unless you are on a dyno, it seems not feasible. Just driving around with LESS than a full tank, helped the EVAP go, which took absolutely forever.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah. On the one hand, I'm driving a retired service vehicle, so going through those machinations shouldn't get me shot. Flipped-off, probably, but hopefully not shot.

OTOH, it looks like my old commute to work at 0600 would do pretty much all of that. That and add some 'hypermiling' steps, like rolling up to lights when getting off the freeway, should seal the deal! :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Oh Gene you actually have to do it!!! LOL

Well here is the one for the 2012 Caprice. The other one is a more generic one for GM vehicles. In TX you are allowed to have one monitor not complete so do not stress yourself on getting them all done. In my experience Evap will be the last to go and that takes the cold starts to run (reason for the 17 hour wait at the end).

ANd note on #5 you are not driving just bringing up the idle while in drive.

And #7 you are just revving it in Park.

Not actually driving the car till #8

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

So now that California IS checking for ECM modifications, (https://www.motortrend.com/news/califor ... smog-test/) what can we do about even something as simple as turning off the DOD in the tune? California wants it to be illegal for us to even try to save our cars from a potential disaster. I'm sure a dealer would not turn off DOD in the tune and using the Ranger thing that plugs into the OBDII port would work, but as soon as you unplugged that to do the smog test it would trigger a check engine light. I hate this state soooo much.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Pulling the Range will not trigger the CEL or code. However, it will allow DOD to work while it's out so pull it just before getting tested.

Another way would be to have two ECUs, one tuned, the other not, both with your VIN. Just swap in the stock one a week or so before so I/M readiness is set before the test. And then after, swap the tuned one back in. This will also allow DOD to work with the stock tune in.

I think the Range device is your best option.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Thanks. I agree with you after rereading my post.

I'm talking about doing the DOD delete then trying to pass smog. If I do the DOD delete, the ECM needs to be tuned. Without a tune, I'll get a check engine light and fail the smog test. With a tune to disable the DOD, I'll fail the smog test.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hmmmm..... Just for discussion purposes, wonder if perhaps a class action against GM may now be in order here focusing on the high failure rate & expensive repairs caused by DOD failures - mostly occurring out of warranty. Have GM release an approved & authorized software update to disable DOD as part of the "cure" in the lawsuit. Would that satisfy the CARB gruppenfuhrers I'm wondering in light of this new law and interpretations therein?

Of course the burden here is finding a law firm to carry the water with the class action & also doing it on contingency for a nice large payout from the award at the end... no way individual owners could afford the expense of course (unless you're Jay Leno or better... wonder if he has a Caprice in his collection?). And, there is a much larger pool of owners here then just Caprices, AFM was implemented across multiple platforms. And caused problems in all of them.

Food for thought.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Have GM release an approved & authorized software update to disable DOD as part of the "cure" in the lawsuit.
That will never happen as that would admit defeat. May also have CAFE implications as well as non-compliance with governing bodies.

According to the article, they will be able to detect non-OEM or modified tunes so a complete DOD delete would fail. Your only bet would be, in the case of a failure repair, is to replace with DOD factory parts and disable with the Range device only, keeping the factory tune. If it hasn't failed yet, then this would prevent it from failing as it usually fails when DOD activates to collapse the lifters but one fails to return when commanded.

And even if one fails, it can apparently be brought back without complete disassembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7I5tbXsfw
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

nothing will ever happen about the lifters , GM hasnt done anything for our strut mounts that have been bad since 2004 , and they are even older than that but only in AU