Smog (California Specific)

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
amx1pxp

Smog (California Specific)

Post by amx1pxp »

Anyone from CA know how much one these engines can be modified and still pass smog in the Bay area? I have a 2012 L77 and I'm going to do the DOD delete soon. Want to turn the car into a tire shredding beast but still have it pass smog. I've built a few engines over the years but all my experience is with older muscle cars - no smog.

Thanks..

Paul
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Smog

Post by smwalker »

As long as you keep the check engine light off you are good to go. I have not heard of the software detecting a tune or programming. All it looks for is that the monitors are complete and no check engine light requests from any codes.

Now as far as the visual stuff that is what limits you. If I recall, only approved parts is a few intake manifolds and some shorty headers. Neither items from reviews add any HP.

CARB Executive Orders for Aftermarket Parts
Pacesetter Shorty Headers

Jet Performance Powr-Flo throttle body

MSD Atomic Airforce Intake Manifold

Most guys just doing the illegal way, going rate about 3-4 hundred every other year.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

besides the fact you need to have CARB approved/legal parts , and that is slim to none
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

Thanks. In particular I'm wondering about the cam, heads, injectors, etc. Things that aren't readily noticeable. What mods can be done and still pass the sniffer test and not cause a check engine light?

I'm inclined to use a factory setup, I.e. LS3, LS6 cam, heads, etc. in the hopes that it will increase my likelihood of passing. What I don't know though, is the emissions requirements for a 2012 Caprice vs a 2012 Camaro or Corvette. Same sniff test or different acceptable emissions levels depending on the vehicle? Going to the place where I got it smogged last week and ask the guy..
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

that is a thin line in cali , since anything beyond stock for your car becomes not CARB approved

the heads and intake manifold are the same as LS3's , the heads only differ in having different springs and heavier valves

doing a LS3 cam and springs would delete the DOD , and give you some more power , but will require tuning to bypass the DOD functions and codes , and the tuning is tampering with the pcm as some see it , while most will never catch it or notice anything
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

Thanks for the info..
Paul
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

amx1pxp wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:57 pm Thanks. In particular I'm wondering about the cam, heads, injectors, etc. Things that aren't readily noticeable. What mods can be done and still pass the sniffer test and not cause a check engine light?
So just to be clear after model year 2000 there is no "sniffer" test. Meaning emissions are not measured at the tailpipe at all. The CA smog test is entirely OBD based meaning it relies on the vehicle to tell the SMOG computer if everything is all right internally. If everything checks out via communication with the car and the visual test passes you pass.

SO to that end most smog techs cannot spot minor engine changes. Slap some LS3 heads on no one would notice. Slap some heads on that have JEGS engraved on them you are going to fail. That is the level you are dealing with.

There is no audio test meaning if yours comes in sounding like a dragster as long as all the equipment is present and no check engine light you pass.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

Copy that. Now I think I've got a feel for what I can do...
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

smwalker wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:01 pm <SNIP>

There is no audio test meaning if yours comes in sounding like a dragster as long as all the equipment is present and no check engine light you pass.
AND, the sensors need to be in 'ready' state! If you trip any codes, and clear them, you HAVE to drive the car through some mystical 'drive cycle' so the sensors reset to 'ready' state. I've been told that in Texas that driving cycle is like 100 MILES!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Ah you Texas boys do everything big. I can get them monitors ready in 30 miles. I reckon.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White