Lifter failure cylinder 1

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
nmargrave

Lifter failure cylinder 1

Post by nmargrave »

Had lifter failure on cylinder 1. Damn..... Drove it for about a mile and parked it. This happened months ago and I am just getting around to posting about it. Because I only drove it about a mile, it did not chew up the cam too bad. Had multiple bent push rods too. Damn. It was a big job as I am a weekend warrior when it come to working on stuff. The plastic lifter tray failed and the lifter was able to spin aswell.... glad I parked it or it might have turned into a full DOD delete. Car has 9000 idle miles, I wonder if that had something to do with it?
Nick
Roto fab CAI, kooks to 3in solo performance exhaust DOD tuned out, manual plug for DOD, Livernois remote tuner
2013 9C1 6.0L Kooks to 3in Solo exhaust, Livernois tune, AFM disabled, with a manual oil block off in the oil sensor hole, Rotofab CAI, Viper alarm system with remote start, 8 inch subwoofer, Camaro transmission pan, daily driver.
nmargrave

Re: Lifter failure cylinder 1

Post by nmargrave »

This guy seems very knowledgeable and really help me out fixing the car. Seems like he does a lot of DOD repairs and knows his stuff. Bought his tool and plug tried it.... Tool did not work, but used the plug.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cr ... &FORM=VIRE
2013 9C1 6.0L Kooks to 3in Solo exhaust, Livernois tune, AFM disabled, with a manual oil block off in the oil sensor hole, Rotofab CAI, Viper alarm system with remote start, 8 inch subwoofer, Camaro transmission pan, daily driver.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I've seen his videos and he does have good ideas that seem to work for getting the lifter unstuck. However, I'm not too fussy about his modification to the VLOM except the plug. The plug alone would be enough IMHO or it should be replaced by the non-DOD valley cover to do it right.

BTW, just so you know, 9000 idle hours is equivalent to 900,000 KM (560,000 miles) as the calculation used is 100km/idle hour. It's common for these engines to wipe out the cam with a failed lifter tray with high idle hours.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
nmargrave

Post by nmargrave »

I was definitely lucky that I parked it when I did. I will get a picture of the lifter on her when I can. Put about 2000 miles on it since, the ole girl is running strong.
Nick
Rotofab CAI, kooks to 3in solo performance exhaust DOD tuned out, manual plug for DOD, Livernois remote tuner
Franco802

Post by Franco802 »

You did the same thing I did. I also had number 1 fail. Mine has 6500 idle hours. But I am now in the middle of a full dod delete and a stage 1 cam.
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

Mooseman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 am I've seen his videos and he does have good ideas that seem to work for getting the lifter unstuck. However, I'm not too fussy about his modification to the VLOM except the plug. The plug alone would be enough IMHO or it should be replaced by the non-DOD valley cover to do it right.

BTW, just so you know, 9000 idle hours is equivalent to 900,000 KM (560,000 miles) as the calculation used is 100km/idle hour. It's common for these engines to wipe out the cam with a failed lifter tray with high idle hours.
I had always heard idling is equal to 38mph, so I decided to do some math check on my car. My Caprice has an average of 29.6mph while moving, or 47km/h.
nmargrave

Post by nmargrave »

I will be damned if the lifter tray did not fail on the other side. The lifter tray spot in question was actually a regular lifter. I decided to replace everything on that side and boom she is back on the road. Everything else is tip top for my 500,000 mile car, lmao. I do have a harmonic balancer wobble, but I am keeping an eye on it. Cam, rear end, supercharger next, with any luck, if not supercharger big cam. Just gonna drive it now.