DOD Delete and Cam Install on 200k motor

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
bstoner

DOD Delete and Cam Install on 200k motor

Post by bstoner »

I am working on removing the DOD and installing a new cam. Car has 200k. 2014 model used as a handicapped taxi in its prior life. I am doing head work, cam, valve springs, oil pump, timing chain, tensioner, trunnion kit, idler pulleys, belts, tensioners, and fan motors) Getting ready to send the heads out in a day or two. They looked ok. There is some carbon deposits in the exhaust side. No visible cracks in the seats or between valves. All the seats looked good. The exhaust valves had moderate pitting and carbon deposits. Intake valves looked perfect. I am replacing the exhaust valves with Manley 11661-8 and the intake valves with stock LS3 upgraded GM 12569427. Haven't decided on head porter yet. I originally wasn't going to have heads done but after seeing all the exhaust valve pitting and carbon deposits I want to get a valve job done and heads cleaned up. Getting estimates right now.

Cylinders walls looked perfect for 200k. Nice cross hatch pattern still. Normal deposits on pistons. No spun lifters. Lifters had mild wear on the rollers. One of them was ticking. No wiped cam lobes so far that I can see. I still need to finish pulling front of motor apart to check cam bearings. I wonder about those. Also need to pull the oil pan to block off the bypass. Oil pressure has always been strong. Radiator fan motors were worn out. Lots of play in the bearing shafts and noisy. Radiator and coolant passages looked good. No deposits. Still undecided on the water pump. Feels ok. Might replace it while I have it apart. Not sure on it. Care to weigh in? All the tensioners and pulleys were pretty worn. Bearings felt terrible so I am replacing them all. One fuel injector ohm'ed out bad and I replaced it. Soaked and flushed the rest with Techron. Spray pattern and fuel quantity sprayed look good now.

Anything else you guys suggest while I have it apart? Need to keep it running for another 5 years when I will pull motor to rebuild lower end to handle boost. So far I am impressed for a 200k motor. I use to think a motor was trash by 200k but man this things looks so good inside. Zero oil deposits or buildup. It looks so clean inside. Checked service records and no internal motor work. Anything I am missing or 'should do' on this high miles roller?
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
SSpeedracer

Re: DOD Delete and Cam Install on 200k motor

Post by SSpeedracer »

I swapped the water pump just because it was convenient time and I'm heavy into preventative maintenance. Some DOD delete kits only include half the lifters whereas I'd opt for the entire set, again because you're there.

One thing I didn't do while deleting the DOD, but had too later, was the valve cover seals and grommets. Silly oversight. Also, a friend noticed a weep in the radiator core while it was out so swapped that, but it sounds like you already inspected yours.

Consider swapping the O2 sensors while the heads are off because the passenger side connector location is retarded. If you're lifting the engine up it might be good time to swap engine mounts.

I'm glad I read your post because I hadn't thought to inspect the fans.
2016 Caprice
bstoner

Re: DOD Delete and Cam Install on 200k motor

Post by bstoner »

I bought LS7 Lifters from BTR to replace all of them. I am leaning towards replacing the water pump because it is high miles and factory original. I got new valve cover seals because mine looked rough and I had a weep. Same with intake. I did the Rod mod and bought new seals. Old ones looked flattened.

Good catch on O2 sensors. I should have mentioned I did new plugs, wires, and O2 sensors from my header install couple months ago.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....