Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to help w Lifter 'tick' on startup?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
markf1971

Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to help w Lifter 'tick' on startup?

Post by markf1971 »

Hey guys!

Has anyone on here tried adding Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to their engine oil to see if it would help with a lifter ticking sound? My 2014 PPV 6.0L L77 has the DOD disabled and it runs very well at 144K miles. However, on startup each day the engine has a slight noise that sounds like it may be lifter related, but it always goes away once the engine warms up. I have heard excellent reviews of how MMO can gently clean an engine. If my noise is from a dirty or gummed up lifter, then I though the MMO might improve my situation. Even if it doesn't help, I figured it couldn't do any harm and it isn't very expensive, so I'd be out a few bucks as a worse case scenario. I was thinking about adding a quart of MMO about 500 miles before an oil change, as their packaging states you can replace up to 20% of the oil capacity with MMO.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this, or have any input or comments regarding my 'theory'/plan? If I end up doing this and it goes well, I'm considering adding a smaller amount (say 16 ounces?) of MMO when I do the next oil change. Any thoughts on that?

I tried searching for information about my question regarding this topic and came up empty on this forum. Any personal experience or constructive input would be appreciated! Thanks!
JoeR

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to help w Lifter 'tick' on startup?

Post by JoeR »

I'm 58 years old, and been a mechanic since I was a teenager. I have never, not once in my life, ever seen MMO cure an audible engine noise. If it's a slight lifter noise, and it goes away once it's warmed up, I'd probably not worry about it. LS engines can be a little noisy. I own 3 of them and the valvetrain in my Caprice sounds like a sewing machine. It happens.
Are you sure you aren't hearing a little piston slap? If it happens only under load, and only for the first minute or two of operation, it's most likely piston slap. Don't worry about that for a second. It's normal, especially if it has been tuned. It's common once you put a little timing in them.
Joe
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

LS engines are known for the lifter tick. I personally would not use MMO.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
markf1971

Post by markf1971 »

JoeR wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:54 am I'm 58 years old, and been a mechanic since I was a teenager. I have never, not once in my life, ever seen MMO cure an audible engine noise. If it's a slight lifter noise, and it goes away once it's warmed up, I'd probably not worry about it. LS engines can be a little noisy. I own 3 of them and the valvetrain in my Caprice sounds like a sewing machine. It happens.
Are you sure you aren't hearing a little piston slap? If it happens only under load, and only for the first minute or two of operation, it's most likely piston slap. Don't worry about that for a second. It's normal, especially if it has been tuned. It's common once you put a little timing in them.
Joe
Joe, mine is completely stock. No tune, mods, CAI, or anything else. I have never observed the noise under load, just on a cold start. It seems to completely go away after the engine warms up. So, you are saying that "piston slap" is normal and nothing to worry about, right?

Also, I hear a lot of people say that these engines have lifter noises, and they make it seem normal. I just don't know if mine falls into that 'normal range' or if I am hearing the beginning of something worse that exists or is developing. Please listen to my video and let me know what you think.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wTTRR8 ... p=drivesdk
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I can't view the video. It says google redirected me too many times.

Piston slap when cold is definitely not a problem, but if you had it you'd notice it while on light acceleration when cold.
When you did your DOD delete what cam did you use? Your noise may be nothing, and it might be that you need different length pushrods, or a bunch of other things too.

Joe
PPVnewbie

Post by PPVnewbie »

I’ve seen the product Hot Shots Secret “Stiction Eliminator” advertised as helping with that issue among others in the valve train. I’d probably give that a shot first.
markf1971

Post by markf1971 »

JoeR wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:53 pm I can't view the video. It says google redirected me too many times.

When you did your DOD delete what cam did you use?

Joe
Joe,

Sorry the video from my Google drive doesn't work. I'm not a tech savvy guy. I have loaded it to You Tube and I'm going to post the link below

I didn't delete the DOD. I just disabled it, so I still have all the DOD parts, but my car's computer no longer asks the DOD to be engaged.

I hear a lot of people say that these engines have lifter noises, and they make it seem normal. I just don't know if mine falls into that 'normal range' or if I am hearing the beginning of something worse that exists or is developing. Please listen to my video and let me know what you think.

[media]
https://youtube.com/shorts/hGT-6xFvoyw?feature=share
[/media]
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Sounds normal to me.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

markf1971 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:33 am
JoeR wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:53 pm I can't view the video. It says google redirected me too many times.

When you did your DOD delete what cam did you use?

Joe
Joe,

Sorry the video from my Google drive doesn't work. I'm not a tech savvy guy. I have loaded it to You Tube and I'm going to post the link below

I didn't delete the DOD. I just disabled it, so I still have all the DOD parts, but my car's computer no longer asks the DOD to be engaged.

I hear a lot of people say that these engines have lifter noises, and they make it seem normal. I just don't know if mine falls into that 'normal range' or if I am hearing the beginning of something worse that exists or is developing. Please listen to my video and let me know what you think.

[media]
https://youtube.com/shorts/hGT-6xFvoyw?feature=share
[/media]
Thanks for the new link. It's always tough to judge noises on a video, but I agree with mooseman. It doesn't sound excessive. I'd just be mindful of it getting worse. If the noise increases, it's definitely worth looking into.
Joe
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Sounds like mine as well.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....