6.0 engine pull tips/tricks?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Koz71

6.0 engine pull tips/tricks?

Post by Koz71 »

Hi all.. getting ready to pull the 6.0 out of my 2014. Any tips, suggestions etc? Do I need to remove the cowl or will engine come up and out? Oil pan is close to the steering rack, any issues there? Does rack need to be removed or anything? Any help greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
s/c'd cav

Re: 6.0 engine pull tips/tricks?

Post by s/c'd cav »

aint nothing special no different , either yank it out the top , or drop it out the bottom
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

take the cowl off, very easy to remove and gives you a ton more room.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I second the cowl removal. Gives a lot easier access to ground wires and clips on the back of the heads and bell housing bolts.
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

I'm looking for a bit of advice on this.

I just ordered the DOD Delete kit and a Cam. As part of that process, I'm going to replace the Stock Torque Converter with the GM ZL-1/CTS-V Converter that I just got.

Looking at the YouTube videos on dropping the tranny, to me, it looks like if I am going to do engine work, and transmission stuff, just pull the whole thing out as a unit.

Then, once it's out, separate them, and do the cam DOD delete, new motor mounts, and clean the transmission up, swap the converter, put the Camaro Deep Pan on, install the transmission dip stick, then put everything back together.

Thoughts?
I don't have a two post lift, so this will be ramps and floor jacks......Unless I can get my Quick Jack setup......

How much easier to out the top vs out the bottom?

Thanks
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

NO lift , then out the top
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

Is anyone aware of a "tutorial", or a youtube video that goes in depth of what needs to be done to pull the engine and transmission?

Wouldn't have to be specific to the PPV, probably a Camaro, Chevy SS or other LS style car.

Thanks
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I pulled an engine/trans as a unit due to the engine being locked up from digesting water. I didn’t want to pull the torque converter out of the trans while it was still bolted to the flywheel. It is a pain in the rear to pull it as a unit unless you drop it out the bottom. If you are only going to put a cam and stall in it, I would leave the trans in car. Remove the plastic cowl to give you more room, plus it helps getting to wires bolted to the back of the heads and bell housing bolts. YMMV
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I left my motor in and did heads/cam swap in the car. It wasn't too bad. Once you remove the radiator and move the condensor there is plenty of room. After not being happy with the stock converter I rented a transmission jack and dropped the trans out the bottom to swap converters.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....