DOD options: Whats the best and who to buy from?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Dreaux281

DOD options: Whats the best and who to buy from?

Post by Dreaux281 »

Looking into getting my dod delete out the way as well as a new stage 1 cam. Talked to Texas Speed and this is the kit they sent me. Just wondering if there is anything else I should get while I'm at it/is this the proper kit in the first place. Just looking for some good feedback thank you.
Attachments
CD2FFFA8-0E54-4EAF-A21B-FDC6F3A6213A.png
CD2FFFA8-0E54-4EAF-A21B-FDC6F3A6213A.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 905 times
6C7E38E0-D7A5-41CB-AB65-05E5AFB0C689.png
6C7E38E0-D7A5-41CB-AB65-05E5AFB0C689.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 905 times
Mooseman

Re: DOD options: Whats the best and who to buy from?

Post by Mooseman »

I don't see a chain tensioner/damper. The stock tensioner is prone to failure. Replace it with an LS1/2 style damper.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Fruit and Veggies.jpg
Fruit and Veggies.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 887 times
The picture looks like a standard valley cover. There are a couple of methods of dealing with the "oil pressure leak" if you disable DOD. 1) A valley cover that seals (with an o-ring and shaped cover) the eight volcanoes of oil, 2) tap threads in the eight holes and install allen screws (with loctite), 3) Some sort of rivet that closes off the holes - saw some kit for this purpose with a ginormous rivet gun.

In terms of the cam shaft, you can run the factory cam and change out 8 lifters to non-DOD type. This avoids a lot of tuning headaches and maintains your low end torque - now deploying rain coat and umbrella for the onslaught of rotten fruit and vegetables :lol:
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

GammaFlat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:53 pm In terms of the cam shaft, you can run the factory cam and change out 8 lifters to non-DOD type. This avoids a lot of tuning headaches and maintains your low end torque - now deploying rain coat and umbrella for the onslaught of rotten fruit and vegetables :lol:
That won't work. The stock cam is made to work with the DOD lifters. Some have tried and got misfires. If you swap the lifters, you must swap the cam. You could replace it with a stock non-DOD truck cam, which is basically what our DOD stock cams are. I did that on a 5.3, no tuning required except for turning off DOD in the tune. But who wants to go to all that trouble for a stock cam? ;)
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Mooseman wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:05 pm
GammaFlat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:53 pm In terms of the cam shaft, you can run the factory cam and change out 8 lifters to non-DOD type. This avoids a lot of tuning headaches and maintains your low end torque - now deploying rain coat and umbrella for the onslaught of rotten fruit and vegetables :lol:
That won't work. The stock cam is made to work with the DOD lifters. Some have tried and got misfires. If you swap the lifters, you must swap the cam. You could replace it with a stock non-DOD truck cam, which is basically what our DOD stock cams are. I did that on a 5.3, no tuning required except for turning off DOD in the tune. But who wants to go to all that trouble for a stock cam? ;)
I don't have first hand experience but...I'm willing to argue on a theoretical basis... but as you say, not that many here would want to run a factory cam (especially when there's plenty of Camaro guys giving up their factory LS3 cams for nearly free :) ).
The lift, duration and timing are what they are. Your engine should literally run like the DOD was disabled electronically.

I know folks here have said they had problems but I cannot understand how or why. There was a member on this forum who claimed they ran the L77 cam with all "normal" lifters and pushrods. They disabled DOD electronically and claimed it ran fine. Until someone can articulate the difference in the lobes that correspond to the DOD lifters, I'm suspicious.

On a side note, I'd love to build a device that measured lift, duration, timing and ramp in fractions of degrees. I don't think it would be too technically challenging. Who knows what we'd find when looking at cam mfg's "secret sauce". As you might be aware, cam companies don't give all the specs on their cams and/or fib. Reverse engineering would be fun :).

Having said all that, I respect your views Moose!
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio