Cam install and DOD hardware delete

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
xcidmigs

Re: Cam install and DOD hardware delete

Post by xcidmigs »

Dave, why the vette tensioner and do you have pics of the difference? Also wondering if you reused the DOD valley plate or replaced with LSX version?
orgdnr

Post by orgdnr »

CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm noticing that with most of these modded cars, owners are opting for staying with the stock intake manifold. Are none of the aftermarket manifolds (FAST/MSD, etc.) worth it at these mod levels?
The stock manifold we have are pretty good up to 6300 rpm. Unless going to a huge aftermarket design like nelsons alien intake, the power gains don't justify the cost IMO.

I used the ls3 valley plate. It has the seal for the DOD ports. Also a gen 3 , 3bolt cam with out the oil groove for DOD oiling. The corvette tensioner is a wedge and our stock units are a strap spring with plastic guides that can fail more easily. I purchased the DOD delete kit from pace. Get the ARP bolts so you don't have to monkey around with torque to yield. The ARP bolts are also reusable. The a/c will need to be discharged and lines removed. Passenger side p/s cooler hose removed and condenser lifted to get the cam out.
Since we don't have an oil pressure gauge and the factory warnings are set to 3 psi for 3 seconds I adjusted the warning to 20 psi for a 10th of a second at idle and 50 psi at 6k interpolated.
Dave
Chatsworth Ca

2012 9c1 ported LSA kooks 1 7/8 long tubes rotofab cai 575rwhp 570 tq. best repeatable 1/4 mile 11.32
69 Roadrunner 383 A/G 4 sp. bench seat (for sale) no rust
30 model A pickup QMP 383
Built Ford tough with chevy stuff
71 GMC suburban 4X4
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

I was going to use the LS2 valley cover but decided to keep the stock one since all the ports are blocked anyways and I wanted to be able to plug in the harness for a stock look.

Before getting it tuned, it drove fine with no CEL and it did try to go into 4-cyl mode.
orgdnr

Post by orgdnr »

IDLife Caprice wrote:I was going to use the LS2 valley cover but decided to keep the stock one since all the ports are blocked anyways and I wanted to be able to plug in the harness for a stock look.

Before getting it tuned, it drove fine with no CEL and it did try to go into 4-cyl mode.
if I had the motor out I would have saved the $$ on the cover too. I'm surprised it didn't register a fault for the DOD not activating.
Dave
Chatsworth Ca

2012 9c1 ported LSA kooks 1 7/8 long tubes rotofab cai 575rwhp 570 tq. best repeatable 1/4 mile 11.32
71 GMC suburban 4X4
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

so we can just leave the stock valley plate as long as its being tuned off the AFM correct?
SuperDutyDave

Post by SuperDutyDave »

Xcid

The vette tensioner along with all other parts are on recommendation from Livernois It's their 6.0 L77 DOD tuning package.

Cam specs will be a mild Cam. L92 1. L92 1C

Just wondering if I do motor tune or rear swap first.

FYI. Car is 2013 but only has 7600 miles on it
Last edited by SuperDutyDave on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave AKA "SuperDuty"

2013 9C1 Caprice PPV

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500-HD 4X4 ext-cab

2009 Deere 5525 4WD Full Cab Tractor

2010 Harley Davidaon Road Glide

Tax Payer Paid Chevy Pickup and 400 HP Patrol Boat
orgdnr

Post by orgdnr »

You can use the lid but I would cut the plug off in case the dealer decides to update the program and re enables dod. Or make some aluminum plugs out of a rod a few thousand larger than the oil hole and drive them in. I wouldn't drill and tap in the car for fear of getting aluminum filings in the motor.
Dave
Chatsworth Ca

71 GMC suburban 4X4
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

This list appears to be from the Livernois product page here:
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP802105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperDutyDave wrote: ARP Head Bolts
MLS Head Gaskets
Hardened Pushrods
ARP Timing Chain Bolts

GMPP LS7 Lifters
GMPP LS2 Lifter guide kit
GMPP LS2 Valley Cover
GMPP Timing Chain Dampner

GMPP Valve Cover Breather Block-Off
GMPP PCV Hose for Non-DOD applications

GMPP LS7 Camshaft Sprocket (not in my list below)
GMPP Exhaust Gaskets (not in my list below)

Thoughts?

Dave
I wanted to run down this list as I've begun gathering some parts for a DoD delete--I've intentionally edited Dave's list in part to focus mainly on the DoD stuff. Here's the list of GM parts (with PN) I've identified:

Cover, Valley
12599296 - 1 - has breather port & oil separator on underside
12598832 - 1 alternate--much lower cost, no breather tube or separator - plain plate for non-DoD applications

Guide, Lifter (tray)
12595365 - 4

Gasket, Head - 4.00" bore
12589227 - 2
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/head-gaske ... arent=1085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/head-gaske ... arent=1085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kit, Head Bolt
17800568 - 2

Dampener, Timing Chain
12588670 - 1

Gasket, Timing Cover
12633904 - 1

Seal, Timing Cover
12585673 - 1

Gasket, Water Pump
12630223 - 2

Bolt, Harmonic Balancer
12557840 - 1

Lifter Package (16 - LS7)
12499225 - 1

alternate lifter pkg (16 - lightweight)
88958689 - 1

Dave, in your list, the rocker cover breather block-off and PCV hose are LS3 specific (shown above in large type), and work with the LS2/LS3 valley cover--correct? My question is how essential is the LS3 cover (with oil separator) compared to using the plain valley cover and existing breather configuration on L77? Obviously GM had a reason for doing it "that way".....but adding a serviceable separator/catch can would be an option to add to the L77, too--total cost might be more in the end, but it provides a method to see what's going on with oil vapor separation and could offer some advantages over the stock setup as far as intake tract oil contamination.

See related discussion on oil separator/catch can: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=177&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(with new updates/links from SS Forums on this topic--for LS3, not L77)

There are things I didn't include, such as exhaust manifold gaskets, as they weren't directly related to the necessary hardware to delete DoD--I don't assume these gaskets are reusable.

Our Caprice is at 53K, with some cold valve-train noise, and DoD is still active. If I'm going to do this, it's going to be via hardware rather than programming, and probably include a cam change at the same time, which opens up the need for more of the items on Dave's original list, or a kit such as the Livernois item referenced.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'll admit to not having read this entire thread, but why pull the heads for a cam swap?? Or are the ARP head bolts to just get rid of the TTY bolts?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I believe the lifters/guides can't be removed with the heads on--if you're keeping the DoD lifters, the cam can be swapped with the heads still on. But chances are the cam will want a valve spring change, and I'd much rather do that off the engine....imagine dropping a valve keeper down inside the engine!