3" Quiet Exhaust

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
bstoner

Re: 3" Quiet Exhaust

Post by bstoner »

kevink wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:51 pm I'm surprised that this is as quiet as stock. When you say that it's as quiet as stock, do you mean you can't hear it running at all at idle? Because that's how quiet stock is. At least my '11 was silent in factory form...
In the car it sounds just a hare louder then stock when starting. Has a deeper tone to it. In the car while driving around town at normal speeds I don't hear the exhaust. Engine, wind, and ambient noises are louder. Zero drone which I was worried about! I haven't had a chance to run it up high rpm yet. I noticed it is running leaner above closed loop so I have some tuning to do before I go crazy on the throttle. My son said it sounder louder and deeper when starting while he is standing outside the car. Wife didn't notice difference or say anything. (WAF, wife approval factor is high with this mod!) She is not a car person. I tried to get a video but my phone is acting up and the video app keeps crashing. Annoying. I will try and get a video sometime this week.

I also pulled my wideband from the bike and installed it. Ran through the AC port for HP Tuners. Pretty easy to do if anyone wants me to explain it. Need to do some datalogging tonight for Chris Henry to refine my fueling. (Which btw he does a fantastic job and I highly recommend!) Also need to go back through and check all bolts after a few heat cycles. I don't like the trans dipstick location either. It is touching the #8 wire. May try to heat and bend it more up out of the way.

So next up remodel the kitchen then I get the WAF to build up the car fund to go LSA! Only about 5 more years. LOL
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Here is the car at idle....
YouTube Video
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Trying to pass off your Caprice as an Impala? :lol:
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I had three people ask if it is an Impala because nobody knows what a Caprice is. So I gave up and swapped emblems. Make it a sleeper. Sadly even the dealer asked if it was an Impala. Another guy at the dealer was like, no its a Malibu. Ummm what??? LMAO. Try again guys. LOL. I have never seen another Caprice around here. It is a unicorn. I did add an LS emblem on the other side. Once I figure out if I am going to stay LS2 or go LS3 (or maybe even put LSA) I am going to add the number after it. A subtle easter egg 99% of the population won't notice. The only thing I don't like about the new exhaust is the tips are about a half inch too low. Because the mufflers were so large they couldn't tuck them up any higher without hitting the mount. So the tips are just a little too low in my opinion. But in the big scheme of things its a non-issue.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I wanted to give an update after a cam/heads/torque converter install. The notion of quiet went out the window. LOL. I didn't think a cam would make much difference but it made a huge difference! My wife noticed (complained), my kids noticed, people turn their heads in parking lots, etc. I wasn't exactly expecting it. It is noticeably louder and more deeper. Idle had a more rumpity rumpity sound and a very slight drone around 1,800 rpm. The cam is a BTR Stage 2 LS3 NA. If you want someone to know you have a cam it sounds amazing. Thump, thump, thump... you feel the vibration in your chest when you stand behind the car. But it isn't very stealth anymore sadly.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

bstoner wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:49 am It is noticeably louder and more deeper. Idle had a more rumpity rumpity sound and a very slight drone around 1,800 rpm. The cam is a BTR Stage 2 LS3 NA. If you want someone to know you have a cam it sounds amazing. Thump, thump, thump... you feel the vibration in your chest when you stand behind the car. But it isn't very stealth anymore sadly.
I believe another youtube of it idling is in order.

Joe
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Here is an updated video. After installing the BTR LS3 Stage 2 N/A cam it was too loud for me. I added hemholtz chambers before each muffler which killed the drone at idle. It is still too loud at idle to be a sleeper but the chambers definetely help. I also played around with idle tuning to try and hide the cam. You could lower the idle rpm and tighten up idle control to really let the cam lope if you wanted to. Off idle it is still very quiet driving around town which I am happy with. At idle it still has a low 40HZ bass drum, thump your chest feeling, but the only way I could get rid of that would be to build a very long hemholtz chamber.

https://youtu.be/6-pWqzLR4Nw