Fuel tank removal snaffu

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
CommanderAdama

Fuel tank removal snaffu

Post by CommanderAdama »

Haven’t posted in awhile. Eventually I will post my fun and adventures under the my build area. But the long story…..in its condensed edition is that : in my 2014 PPV
I discovered a fuel leak from the driver’s side of the fuel tank when I fill the tank. After assembling all the potentially needed parts (including a used tank…just in case), I went through the totally ridiculous process of removing the exhaust pipes….removing the driveshaft…..dropping the rear cradle (about 3-4 inches rather than the required 2) and disconnecting all the lines and wires from the tank itself………….except O N E.
My remaining bain is the fitting that connects what I believe is a vent port at the top rear ridge of the tank to the vapor canister mounted posterior to the tank. There are two tubes for attachment, the upper is smaller, and I managed to get it off (it’s fitting is like that of a fuel line)……the lower tube is bigger (close to a 1/2 inch), but the fitting type is different. It has a big retention clip that I was able to slide to the unlocking position and was able to wiggle it about half way off……..but now can’t get it any further.
The service manual references a tool (J-41623-B) which is primarily a cooler line disconnect tool. It is supposed to fit around the tube and connector and be turned to release the fitting, but I don’t visualize any clearance to fit this thing in place (even if I had it)……let alone turn it. Has anyone else released this fitting peacefully ? I am also entertaining dropping the vapor canister along with the tank…..or cutting the line and then replacing the hose (it’s a pvc hose) later. Anyone with thoughts on this ? Thanks, Bill
Bill
2014 Caprice PPV, 9C1, 6.0L
2011 Crown Victoria PI, 4.6L
1959 Thunderbird (modified) 390ci
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Fuel tank removal snaffu

Post by smwalker »

I had the rear end out of the way when I did it and still had a tough time with it. I remember saying there is no way people can remove this with the rear end in the way. A chop and hose section might be the better option even if for future serviceability.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CommanderAdama

Post by CommanderAdama »

Thanks Steve for the reply. I agree, that fitting is not meant for mortal men to mess with. Since I am a driveway mechanic, my arrangement is interesting. Front of the car is up about an extra 18 inches at the frame (on blocks and 2x6 board. While the back of the car is up on 10 inch ramps…..so when I released the cradle, it is resting on the ramps via the tires with a few jack stands to steady it. Then I jacked up the rear body to raise it away from the cradle. Yeah, it’s rigged, but it works. The PVC hose may get sacrificed. My only other hope is that I found online, what I believe to be the fitting in question, so I ordered it. If it is the correct fitting, I should be able figure out how to work the damn thing…worth a shot anyways. Cheers.
Bill
2014 Caprice PPV, 9C1, 6.0L
2011 Crown Victoria PI, 4.6L
1959 Thunderbird (modified) 390ci
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

On the 11–13’s I just get the cradle out of the way and drop the charcoal canister with the tank. Once you get the exhaust, driveshaft and emergency brake cables out of the way, there is not much left to remove. I pulled the calipers off and hung them from the body so I would not have to bleed the brakes. I would rather remove parts and not have to fight things in my way.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Our '12 had some fuel pump recall done, and our car, which came from Wisconsin, spent more than a week while the dealer worked to get one of the cradel bolts out of the rear cradle to drop the tank for the job. That's the way GM did it.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?