Caprice's "Torque on Demand"

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Headhunter1776

Caprice's "Torque on Demand"

Post by Headhunter1776 »

What components in the driveline complete the "torque on demand" that these cars have? Is it only in the Engine, the Transmission or is it in the Differential? What specific components create this Torque on Demand?

I want to transplant the L77 into a 93 RX7 shell using the Samberg LS kit, I want the same performance as if it was still the Caprice, but instead of 4500lbs it only weighs 2300lbs in a sleeker body.

I don't care about the Automatic part, I was considering doing the "paddle shift" box setup with the Caprice Trans if I needed it to keep the T.o.D...
The Samberg Kit also offers a Ford Explorer 8.8 Diff to go under the car, so that's why I am so intent of getting the correct information before I commit to a part I don't necessarily need!

Thanks all!
Mooseman

Re: Caprice's "Torque on Demand"

Post by Mooseman »

What "torque on demand"? Only reference I have found on this is a type of AWD system. The Caprice is a rear wheel drive only.

Unless you're talking about something else?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

The L98 would better suit this project, it doesn't use T.O.D.; Here's a few links concerning tod delete: https://youtu.be/GcuC2FxozE8
_
https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... ete-combos
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

there is better versions and bigger versions that are better than a L77

most all V8s are tq compared to a 6 or a 4
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

The modification of the torque output in the caprice is achieved through monitoring of the wheel speed, then adjusting spark, fuel and throttle plate to lower power until wheel spin ceases. Its pretty standard to most modern traction control systems. I do not know if the wheel speed sensors hit the BCM, stabilitrak module, TCM, or PCM first, you'd have to dig through the wiring diagrams to find that one out.

I've done a lot of playing with the variables of this system through HP tuners, with traction control on I have it dialed in where I like it. On hard turns with acceleration I can get just enough wheel spin to have fun but not enough to cause trouble. I have disabled the computers control of the throttle plate to eliminate the harsh "bog" that usually happens, and I took its control of fuel away during such events because I just don't like the idea of cutting fuel during a WOT. The result is 4-6 wheel turns and then a smooth application of power rather than the stock "bog" that happens. The occasional fireball occurs as well when it cuts spark and not fuel haha.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift