Additional Converter Option

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
JoeR

Additional Converter Option

Post by JoeR »

I swapped a BTR Stage 2 Truck Cam into my Caprice, and while that cam can still be tuned for a decent idle, it would still tug on the brakes at a stoplight. I wanted to do something about that. I've got no argument that there are a bunch of great converter companies making replacement converters in the $1400.00 range, and they are great quality. I'm just not sold on the need for it unless your making big HP. I'm not.
I talked to my local converter builder and had my stock one rebuilt with the highest stall possible on a stock converter. It might be in the 2400 RPM range. It is perfect for what I need it for. No more lurching at stoplights. Nice flare when I tag the gas and downshift. All for $250.00.
Again, I'm not taking a shot at the expensive converters. They definitely serve a purpose. I just thought it was severe overkill for my car. I also recommend tuning the trans so the converter locks completely in 5th and 6th gears. 0 RPMs of slip. Maybe even lock it in 4th as well, then kill it in the other gears. There's no good reason to slip that thing like the stock programming does. I don't argue that slipping the converter clutch improves drivability, but it's a known failure point on the 6L80s and 6L90s, and eliminating it is easy, and has a low penalty.

My 2 cents for today.

Joe
JUNKYARD_JACK

Re: Additional Converter Option

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

I am also in central NC and curious about who the torque converter guy is! This is a great option I think for those of us doing the milder builds.
Bill.kurman

Re: Additional Converter Option

Post by Bill.kurman »

If you look up 6l80 converters on eBay theres some re stalls for sale under 400 bucks I think the max is 2400 I saw but honestly with the ctsv converter being 400 with the core form summit racing I’ll just wait for it to ship I’m running the Texas speed pds blower stage 2 it really only pushes if I literally drop it in gear within the first minutes form cold start