BC Racing Coilovers Install

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Vanguard

BC Racing Coilovers Install

Post by Vanguard »

I have ordered a set of BC Racing Series DS coilovers for my 2013 Caprice PPV. After reading one of the posts here I am a little concerned about the best way to install the damping adjustment extenders that must go through the floor of the trunk. I would appreciate any "tips and tricks" that will help in the installation of the extenders. Pictures of the final install in the trunk would be great. Thanks.
Vanguard
2013, Silver 9C3, DoD Delete, LS3 cam, Rotofab intake, Solo Exhaust, NGK, Eibach, Konig
CrashTestDummy

Re: BC Racing Coilovers Install

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I think I used a 1" hole saw, after locating the place for the hole by marking the underside of the trunk and drilling a pilot hole from the underside. I just missed the right spot on both sides, so had to use my die grinder to extend the hole on one side to clearance the adjuster mount:

The metal back there is hard, so be aware when you start drilling.

You'll want to pull the rear sway bar links so you can push the rear lower control arms down far enough to clear the strut both coming out and going in. Even then, you'll want to use a pry bar and a helper to push down on the LCA while you R&R the strut. I don't remember if I had to pull the anchors for the rear brake hoses and ABS sensors, but make sure you check that before proceeding.

For the front, when you get to the point you are removing the strut spring compressor off the old struts, it may be helpful to insert them into a garbage bag, When you remove the strut nut, there will probably still be a bit of spring tension, and the upper bushing assembly will fly off, spraying bushing bits and bearings across the garage. Make sure you have new upper bushings before you start.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. Are you happy with how the BC coilovers perform?
Vanguard
2013, Silver 9C3, DoD Delete, LS3 cam, Rotofab intake, Solo Exhaust, NGK, Eibach, Konig
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yes, very. I was concerned that two of them were replaced by BC when the PO owned them (one pair was essentially new and unused when I got them), but they're been good so far. The ride may be a bit harsh for some, but my co-driver and I prefer a firmer ride. The car also handles well when we autocross it. It's heavy and tire-limited, but is a real blast to drive.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Thanks again.
Vanguard
joshtex

Post by joshtex »

CrashTestDummy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 am For the front, when you get to the point you are removing the strut spring compressor off the old struts, it may be helpful to insert them into a garbage bag, When you remove the strut nut, there will probably still be a bit of spring tension, and the upper bushing assembly will fly off, spraying bushing bits and bearings across the garage. Make sure you have new upper bushings before you start.
Thanks for the info you provided. I'm getting some BC BR series coils next week. To be clear, I should purchase new upper bushings to install with the new coils?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Since we got ours second-hand, I have no idea if the new set comes with the upper bushing, but after reading several similar posts, I don't think they do. Yes, get new upper mounts while you have everything out. The old ones are probably beat dead by now. White Line is a good set, if they're still available. I was in a hurry to get them installed, so we went with Moog replacements. They've been fine.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?