Suspension rebuild: Coilovers or lowering springs?

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
DapperDanMan

Suspension rebuild: Coilovers or lowering springs?

Post by DapperDanMan »

I have a clunk in the front that has to be coming from the strut or mounts, so if I have to take everything out to replace them I might as well replace the struts at the same time since they have 90k on them and judging by the scrapes under the car this PD liked to driver over curbs or they had really big drops off the shoulder of the road.
Also want to lower the car so now would be the time to install lowering springs (Eibach SS I'm thinking) to only have to get it aligned once.
So I'd be looking at;
$437.87 - 4 New Struts From Rockauto
$344.13 - Eibach 3895.140 on Amazon (Those are for an SS, I ssume I need those for a 2015, or do I need 38137.140 for a G8?)
$169.98 - SuperPro front strut mounts from SSonly.com

Total: $951.98

Which puts me only $250 less than Pedders XA coilovers (which appear to include front bushings).

What would be the pros and cons of each? The car will only be driven on the street really so I don't NEED all the adjustability.
2015 Caprice 6.0
JUNKYARD_JACK

Re: Suspension rebuild: Coilovers or lowering springs?

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

I'd carefully check your suspension, I have a clunk in my front end, sounds just like a strut would. However, I have found that my radius arm bushing is GONE. I highly suspect that this is the main issue that I am having and not my strut mounts.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ADO-92159305
Might could fix the clunk for $62 + shipping (That's what I'm hoping to do)

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=20
Here is a thread with some pictures.

BUT

To answer your original question I plan on going with OEM SS springs one day, that and regular struts are what I believe will provide the best ride quality and looks. I believe that would save you about $200 or so over your current parts list but it wouldn't be quite as low. Then you'd potentially be saving $450 over the coil overs and only be losing the adjustability that you already said is not a necessity and you get that OEM type ride.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

I am at a similar point with my car, as junkyard jack said the radius bushings are probably toast. I plan on doing the radius bushings with a pedders setup.

The three cars I have to compare are:
-2014, 86k miles, all stock
-2014, 90k miles, new stock struts with either eibach or H&R lowering springs
-2013, 82k miiles, Pedders XA coilovers

The car with the lowering springs just rides like crap...handles well but is not a treat to drive long distances. Rebound is all wrong and the springs are too stiff.

The completely stock car rides fine and handles fine but is worn out.

We have taken the car with the pedders on several 1k+ mile road trips and it is just awesome, rides very smooth and comfortably, and handles the best.

For me the the extra price of the pedders setup is worth it. One, because it rides and handles better than stock. Two, because my dad and I have a serious wheel addiction and we have sets ranging from 18x8 to 20x11. Being able to adjust to fit the different wheel/tire setups is a must for me.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

My control arm/radius arm bushings don’t look as bad as the pics in that thread from a quick visual inspection, but I will definitely investigate further.
Next question is does anyone have great things to say about the BMR /Super Pro urethane control arm bushings?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmr-spf2858k
2015 Caprice 6.0