New (to me) wheels and new tires

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
xten57

New (to me) wheels and new tires

Post by xten57 »

I upgraded from my stock steel wheels and wheel covers to a set of Camaro wheels. The tires that came on the wheels had good tread depth, but I noticed some cracking where the sidewall and tread ply meet, so I got some new tires, too.

So far, I'm very happy with the new tires: BF Goodrich Comp-2 A/S, 235/25/ZR 18, 101W.

Now I'll be needing to sell my steelies to free up space! Anyone here need them?
Attachments
Caprice.New.Wheels.Tires.jpg
Caprice.New.Wheels.Tires.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 4063 times
Gerry
2013 9C3, metallic black, L77 with headers/X-pipe, DOD delete, cold-air intake, LS3 cam.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: New (to me) wheels and new tires

Post by elc32955 »

Looking good! There's a number of us here that are running those wheels, my car included. I just stayed with the Eagle Sports that were on the wheels as they had plenty of tread left and had fairly recent date codes.

Figure out a price and put an ad in the for sale section for the steelies, they'll probably sell :)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

xten57 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:54 pm So far, I'm very happy with the new tires: BF Goodrich Comp-2 A/S, 235/25/ZR 18, 101W.
Surely the tires aren't 25 aspect ratio, if it's even available, as they would be very short - why go with anything other than 235/50 unless you're also increasing width - for example, 255/45, which would fit with no issue on the 8.5" Camaro wheels, but COULD rub at the rear with heavy loads or big suspension movements.

Lookup at Tire Rack shows the only BFG A/S tire with 101W load rating is the stock size 235/50-18, so I assume the info you posted is a typo.

These Camaro wheels are +32mm offset, so they stand "out" further than stock steel wheels by 1/2" or more, plus they're wider by 1/2".

And 235/25 would ride like crap - the picture, if it's your new tires, looks to be 45 or 50, possibly 55 aspect ratio.
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

xten57 probably has stock size camaro 245/55-18 that came with the wheels.

That size will absolutely interfere with the fender under compression both front and rear. If he keeps the stock stiff suspension he may never see full compression. But, I wouldn't risk it because the rears might get cut open by the bumper flange. The flange will cut the sidewall/shoulder area. Worst spot possible.

I've got the same wheels but with 235/50-18 General G-max RS (ultra high performance summer) tires on lowering springs that interfered until I rolled the fenders and ground down the bumper/fender flange area. Anyone attempting to roll the fenders should be aware they are double wall and very difficult to bend without distorting the entire fender arch.

I've contemplated facing 1/8" off the wheel flange area to reduce wheel offset and make room for wider tires, but the reduction in material because of the conical shape of lug holes does note inspire confidence. The wheels are OEM V6 camaros AFAIK.

My caprice with a LS3 cam and transmission control off will only slightly chirp/spin tires between gear changes at wot. I really like this setup for a daily driver that never sees freezing temperatures. So much so that I'm on second set of G-max. First set wore perfectly even all around until they were smoothies/slicks with less than 1/32 main channel. They gripped like a bitch and got better with age. They were better at 60k miles than new. Sadly, I've got to consider the rainy season.
2016 Caprice
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Thought the stock V6 2016-2019 Camaro tires (Eagle Sport) were sized P245/50-18, that's what I'm running currently - not 55's. Hmmmm.... And no problem on my tires/wheels so far.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
xten57

Post by xten57 »

NavyLifer is correct, the size on the new tires shown in my original post is a typographical error. They are 235/50/18. And, because of the wheel offset and the tread profile on these tires, they rub LESS than the 245/50/18s that came on the wheels, but they still rub if I roll through a good dip.

However, they look way better than the stock wheels so I'm happy for now.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments, everyone. I'll post a "for sale" ad soon and hopefully get them sold to someone who can use them.
Gerry
2013 9C3, metallic black, L77 with headers/X-pipe, DOD delete, cold-air intake, LS3 cam.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I re-read SpeedRacer's post on the 245 tires & bumper flange interference and I think I may have possibly been a victim of that. I just remembered that I had to replace a left rear tire due to a leak about a month after I put the wheel set on, when we pulled the wheel we found a cut on the inner tire edge right on the junction of the tread and sidewall. At the time I attributed it to road debris, but now I'm wondering if the bumper flange got it perhaps going over a bump. So, looks like with the offset of the Camaro wheels and the 245 size tires mounted, I could be a poster child for that issue. So at what width tire do we mitigate this problem? Will 235's clear or perhaps do 225's need to be considered? Would 225's mount up to these wheels safely?

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :)
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

@elc32955 lol I could refer you to an accurate clearance calculator, but unless you enjoy math as a hobby in your free time, it wouldn't be helpful. So, here's one they calculate for you : https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Turbopowered68

Post by Turbopowered68 »

Navy Lifer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:19 pm

These Camaro wheels are +32mm offset, so they stand "out" further than stock steel wheels by 1/2" or more, plus they're wider by 1/2".

And 235/25 would ride like crap - the picture, if it's your new tires, looks to be 45 or 50, possibly 55 aspect ratio.
What is the stock steel wheel offset?
Thanks for your help
2014 Caprice V8
Elgin E-1840 P, LS9 Head gasket, LS7 Lifters, PAC-1218 springs, Trunion upgrade, Single roller timing set, Melling oil pump, ZL1 torque converter, Camaro Trans pan and filter.
1986 GN
212/212 Roller cam, 1.65 HR Rockers, 60-1 turbo, XFI 2.05, E85, Ebay Front mount IC, Husek Built TH200-4R trans, 3.42 gears 3800# .
1968 Chevelle
LQ4, 4L80, 12 bolt w/3.42 gears