Time for new tires

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
storm9c1

Time for new tires

Post by storm9c1 »

Hi all, my 2011 Caprice has original tires. Stock steel rims. I've only put 8K on the car since new. It's now 2020, and they are unsafe due to age... So...

I'm looking for a set of touring tires with good performance. Road noise (or lack thereof) is important to me. I'm used to the BOF B-Bodies and I've always felt the Caprice PPV takes bumps hard with the strut suspension. Granted the PPV also handles WAYYYY better, by a large margin, than my Impala SS or any of my 9C1s. So I get it, there are trade-offs. But... I don't want bumps to go "boom" like they do with the OEM tires. But I also don't want a ton of understeer or terrible performance in the rain. This car will never see snow. And rarely sees rain unless I accidentally get caught in it. The car sits more than it drives, so any super soft tires that are sensitive to flat-spotting are out. In the past, I've lifted the car routinely for winter storage. Unsure if I will be able to continue that practice. At the very least, other cars will compete for the lift each year, I'll probably cycle them.

I prefer getting tires tires online, as I have my own mount and balancing equipment.

I've narrowed my selection down to:
  • Pirelli Cintaurato P7 Plus II
  • Continental PureContact LS
Any advice for or against those two?

Any advice for another brand? I've boycotted Firestone and Bridgestone for life, so don't mention those please.

At 10 years old, I assume I should replace the TPMS sensors as well. No errors so far, but I feel they are ticking bombs at this age, and since I will have the tires off, it's time for replacement. For a 2011, I should be able to do the DIC learn procedure from the keyfob with new sensors, correct? Any recommendation for new TPMS sensors?
  • Get the ones from TireRack?
  • Get Delco ones from RockAuto?
  • Other?
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Nate68c10

Re: Time for new tires

Post by Nate68c10 »

I bought achilles atr sport 2's on a whim and I love them! They do amazing in the rain and are very quiet. They are also much softer on bumps than the rsa's but I wouldn't say they eliminate the harshness completely. I used to be able to burn the old rsa's off effortlessly but with these I feel like I need more power because I cant really spin them off the line in a straight dead launch and that's with an ls3 cam dod deleted, 3.27 gears and solo exhaust. I will be switching back to my steel wheels for the winter with blizzaks. I only got them because money was tight and I was burning through my supply of rsa's like butter but I will definitely use them again for my next set of tires. https://www.amazo
20200617_075032_HDR.jpg
20200617_075032_HDR.jpg (4.49 MiB) Viewed 8298 times
n.com/dp/B00GOXX2B6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_3TUyFb37E7T8F
20200917_000347.jpg
20200917_000347.jpg (5.57 MiB) Viewed 8298 times
2014 Caprice
Tsp LS3 stage 1 cam
3400 circle D converter
3.27 Camaro diff
Jba long tubes solo 2.5 exhaust
Nitrous express proton system with standalone fuel system
Hoosier dr2 drag radials.

11.86 at 117mph
Nate68c10

Post by Nate68c10 »

I forgot to mention drive my car every day and I have literally beat the shit out of them since day one. I dont have a long drive to work so its all in town driving other than on ramp rips to get to the other side of town and I have taken on ramps at crazy speeds with this thing since I replaced the tires and it stays planted. I'm not saying they will last forever but at the rate they are going I will get 2 summers out of them easy.
2014 Caprice
Tsp LS3 stage 1 cam
3400 circle D converter
3.27 Camaro diff
Jba long tubes solo 2.5 exhaust
Nitrous express proton system with standalone fuel system
Hoosier dr2 drag radials.

11.86 at 117mph
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Got your own mounting and balancing equipment? Jealous. :lol:

Can't speak to those two tires you mentioned, but on my wife's car and my crown vic while it was still around, I put General Gmax tires on it (I can get the specific model if you want). They were all seasons, nothing crazy, but I've been pleased.

On my Caprice I have Nitto Motivo tires in the stock size. I have been quite pleased with them. They seem reasonably quiet, have worn well and provide the traction I need.

I can't comment on the TPMS portion of your question.

EDIT: after re-reading your post, specifically the first portion of it where you lay out some background information as to what you are specifically looking for in your next tire, I gotta say that mine has been a daily, hasn't seen snow, has only seen a little rain, and never really sits more than 1 or 2 days depending on the weekend (so in terms of flatspotting, I don't know if that would be long enough to notice). Just wanted to add more input.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom,
Some things here for your consideration....

My own experience has been predominantly with Continental high-performance W & Y rated all-season tires - I did have a set of Michelin AS3 19" tires with one set of wheels I used....the 19's look nice, but I wanted more sidewall to ease up the ride comfort a bit, though that was when the suspension setup was still stock. We are rather far apart on usage, as I'm nearing 94K miles vs your garage queen's 8K - a bit envious, but I've seen lots of country in the PPV over the past (nearly) 8 years. I've also chosen to move up in size from 235/50 to 255/45 (18) and 255/40 (19) - sort of a back-track on searching for ride comfort, but I think I've found a good compromise with the 255/45-18, even with the shorter tire sidewall - I'm also running a wider 9" wheel with these tires, but I sense you will be staying with the OE size, which is completely understandable.

I think either tire you have identified would be fine, considering usage. Tire Rack & Discount Tire Direct have similar pricing, price matching, etc. TR may offer one advantage in that they do provide a 2 year "free" road hazard warranty, and DTD does not - but DTD does sell one that's good for the life of the tire, basically. I like DT/DTD as I use their house credit program, which offers 6 months & more free financing if you'd rather use your cash elsewhere on a monthly basis, and they often have some special rebates/promos. The Pirelli tire currently has a $70 rebate through both TR & DTD....whether that matters or not. Free shipping, and depending on the states where they do business, maybe even no tax. So, it's a wash on the choice, IMO - my only comment is that tire spec is V rated for both, but in a non-service vehicle, that's hardly an issue.

As to the ride issue, you should be aware that the early 2011 front struts (which I suspect your car has) were a significant contributor to the harshness you allude to. At 8K, I'm sure you are not interested in changing out the offending parts, but the real fix is to use the 2nd design/revised (for 2012) struts, and, honestly, to substitute the SS sedan springs, which also reduce harshness considerably vs the OEM PPV springs. The 3/4" drop is almost inconsequential, but it may not suit a purist's preferences as a police vehicle....but doing all of this DOES transform the car's comfort and driving enjoyment.

The last thing - discussed here in the past - is tire pressure settings. The door sticker says 39F & 44R, if I recall. The 2011 Owner's Manual includes a statement that offers non-pursuit/full-load pressure settings of 36 PSI for all 4 wheel positions. I think the statement was removed in later year manuals, but I live by that statement in the OM, and have not run "door label" pressures since nearly forever.

The one issue in doing this is that the TPMS ends up being right at the edge of activation at around 34 PSI with the factory settings (for PPV), and in seasonal temp fluctuations, nuisance alarms can be frustrating. i worked with my local dealer tech to lower TPMS alarm setpoint to 30 PSI or lower, just to avoid nuisance alarms. My point of all this is that running a target pressure of 36 PSI also aided significantly in ride comfort, and (at least in my opinion) has not hurt handling, performance, tire wear, etc.

As to new TPMS sensors, yes, this is the time to do it. Rock Auto identifies current correct parts - be sure to get the service kits, which provide a new stem seal (new sensor may come with one), a new ferrule (in case of any aluminum corrosion) and a new stem cap. At 8K you might say "why do I need to do this", but the years your stems/sensors have been together, number of times car may have been washed or in wet conditions, it's just a good practice to use the new parts all together - correct sensor stem is aluminum, and the ferrule.

I don't attempt to re-set sensors myself, but with all of your service equipment, it's not in your DNA to have someone else lay a hand on the car - understand in this day & age....I don't know if it can be done without the RFID device that is used to "tickle" each sensor position when doing a re-learn - either a dealer action or tire shop action, as most reputable shops today all do this routinely.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Thanks Bill. Awesome reply as usual.

I was mildly aware of the front strut issue on the 2011 versus 2012. I remember seeing the Caprices run at the MSP testing in 2010 (which influenced my desire to purchase one in 2011). And I remember talking to the GM techs. I noticed they changed the front struts in between runs, and I asked why. And they said they were testing a few different types. They may have told me more detail but I've since forgotten. But it stands to believe that even then, the engineers were flapping on which struts to use. Thanks for the reminder. I'll add those to the "maybe someday" list.

I definitely don't want to lower the car using the SS springs. I have a large curb at the end of my driveway to keep runoff water from flooding my house. It's a 5-figure construction job (and a fight with PennDOT) to replace that curb with a buried pipe. So for now, I need all of the ride height I can get to clear that curb. I literally come 1/4" from bottoming out every time I pull out of my driveway. I could never own a Corvette. LOL. Not without redoing the driveway first.

While the car is a bit of a garage queen, I have taken it on some tri-state trips here and there. I usually try to do one trip like that per year just to stretch her legs. If you remember my really early threads, it's not 100% stock either. I installed a trailer hitch from Crazy Paul and towed a small boat on a few of those trips. But now I've relegated the '95 Wagon to towing duty. I made sure the trailer hitch install was reversible and kept all of the parts. I also added the ultra-rare NOS vented rear lower fascia to my collection if I ever take off the hitch. But leaving the hitch there kinda adds some interesting history to the car, considering it's a GM/Holden hitch. If I sold the car now, I'd include the original fascia and the vented fascia as well.

I am aware of the tire pressure issue (but good for new-comers to read). I run my car around 36 psi on all 4 corners, and that seriously helps with the harshness. I learned this right away... and may have commented on the forum here about it back in the day. My TPMS will not complain until my tires get down to 32 psi. So I just keep them topped off.

Good tip on the TPMS service kits. I try not to reuse stuff like that... if I don't have to. But... looking at this listing:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 19&jsn=419

It appears to come with everything I need?
"Includes sensor body, snap in rubber valve or aluminum valve stem, plastic cap, electroless nickel-plated valve core"

So I assume I do not need the service kit with the Delco ones?

On my older B-Bodies, I always replace the valve stems too no matter what condition they are in, when I mount tires. So if I'm supposed to replace something, I have no problem doing so... I don't like to cut corners.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Yes, I certainly recall the trailer hitch pursuit and your mention of boat towing....sure do miss CP. I don't know if we drove him over the edge, but he was such a great guy to work with, we really benefitted from his assistance.

Fully understand all of the other reasons for keeping PPV ride height. Some day you should catch a ride in one that's using the setup I described just so you understand what the difference is.

that sensor will work, for sure - the Buyer's Guide is quite vague as to vehicle applications, but I think it would be a non-issue. The original 2011 sensors have metal caps with gaskets inside, and this replacement uses a plastic cap - also with a gasket, I recall. I like the metal caps myself. It does appear this kit is complete, and includes everything needed - and the prices seem to have dropped...and don't forget the 5% discount code, unless you find them for less somewhere else it seems to be a pretty good deal.

The Schrader 20158 actually looks like the best deal - quite a bit lower cost vs the ACD sensor above, and the Buyers Guide actually shows specific vehicle applicability.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 73&jsn=422

The application-specific OEM sensor is always pricier - again, the Buyers Guide app list is specific and extensive.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 73&jsn=427
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Thanks Bill.

There's a good chance that I will just transfer over the original metal caps. They are still perfect, and I like the look with the stock silver hubcaps. Oddly the RockAuto picture shows metal caps.

I was looking at the Schrader brand sensors as well. Getting Delco ones seems like a no-brainer though, especially if I have trouble programming them and need to go to a dealer. That way they can't give me grief about aftermarket ones.

I thought that CP was having some health problems at one point. Not only did he disappear from here, but from the other forums as well (G8, SS, etc). I hope he is still alive? I wish him all the best. Considering the state of Holden, the fun is over anyways.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Adding Kumho TA91 to the list. They are 101W rated which is a closer match to the stock tire ratings. So far I have found no tires to match the stock 99 load rating. I either find 97 or 101(XL), which is interesting.

I had a PM side discussion going with an ISS member. When the subject of tires came up, he highly recommended them. He likes the price and said he hates noisy tires. He runs Kumho on all of his cars for years and thinks the TA91 improved on road noise significantly. So far it has no ratings on Tire Rack, which makes me dubious. It was hard to find ratings anywhere online for these tires. Except a YouYube ratings video from Tire Rack which they gave it somewhat impressive scores. Other tires like the TA71 have just so-so rating. Anybody here have any opinion for/against Kumho tires?
  • Pirelli Cintaurato P7 Plus II
  • Continental PureContact LS
  • Achilles ATR Sport (recommended in this thread; having trouble finding 235/50s; I don't buy tires from Amazon)
  • Kumho Solus TA91
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Had Kumhos on my wife's car before the Generals. Was pleased, as was she. Ecsta Supras I believe but still, no complaints with the brand.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...