TPMS Lower Threshold

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
s/c'd cav

Re: TPMS Lower Threshold

Post by s/c'd cav »

rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

I just completed my video on using the Thinkcar ThinkDiag scan tool to adjust the cold inflation pressure values and tire types on a 2014-2017 Caprice. I was waiting on Thinkcar to release the iOS version of the GM/BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET diagnostic module for the ThinkDiag to include the BCM "Tire Type/Pressure Selection" special function, but it turns out they won't be releasing the iOS update for a long time.

https://youtu.be/dcVQjcyawMM
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I finally did it! I was able to program my TPMS to my settings! Here is how I did it.

1. Buy a VXDIAG VCX Nano. They run a little over a hundred bucks. There are two versions. One USB only and one USB/Wifi. I bought the cheaper USB because I prefer hardwired when programming my car. The VXDiag is an interface that allows you to connect software on your laptop to the car. The devices comes with software but I downloaded the most current software from VXDiag and used it.
2. You need to install the VX Manager which allows the programs to communicate to the car.
3. You need Tech2Win for 2013 and older or GDS2 for 2014 and newer. You download it from VXDiag.

I used GDS2 to program my car (2014) to 36 psi front and rear. So for a little over a hundred bucks you can do everything the dealer can do with GDS2! :D
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

WOW.... Let me clarify something with you, are you referring to just TPMS settings or how much more capability are we talking here? :) :) :)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I can do anything the dealer can do! Yesterday I also did a steering angle sensor reset while I was playing around with changing the TPMS pressures. Its pretty amazing honestly. I wish I would have bought one years ago! A couple things to consider. It took me a while to figure out how to set everything up. It's not super user friendly installing everything and getting it going. There are various instructions out there and some are outdated and incorrect. Tech2Win is old software that runs on 32 bit. So if your computer is 64 bit (like most newer ones) then you need to install VMWare to be able to run it. Also GDS2 technically is suppose to require an expensive subscription to use but the software provided is, ummm, shall we say, "modified" for a non-expiring license. Most people call it the GDS2 patch. I am going to be intentionally ignorant here and presume that is ok. It also comes with SPS. From my understanding SPS is used to completely program a module. For that you would need to pay the $45 2-year subscription from ACDELCOTDS to gain access to the file to upload to the module.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Wow. You cracked the Holy Grail, congrats! No more dealer-only programming!!

I'm going to copy the text out of the last few messages and sticky it in the tuning/programming and electronics threads. I figured that this opened the door to a LOT more then TPMS adjustments but I wanted to be sure before I pounced.

Thanks very much for sharing!!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Hi Bstoner,

Just double checking. Would this set up also allow me to program the interior lights and daytime running lights? Local dealer will not turn on my interior lights without activating the DRL's. I hate having headlights on in the daytime, plus I think it prematurely hazes the lenses, so I have been dragging my feet in getting this done.

Plus, the estimate for doing this is more that i think you paid for the VXDIAG. If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase it from?

Thanks

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

On my 2014 there is no setting in the BCM in GDS that allows me change the lighting configurations. I can only test each lamp and turn on and off. I am not sure if Tech2Win would be able to program it. I don't have an older GM I can connect to and see. I would think you would need to use SPS however I am not very knowledgeable about using SPS. (SPS, GDS,Tech2Win are all software programs that use the VXDiag device to interface with the vehicle.) From my understanding you would need to purchase the 2 year subscription from Tis2Web to be able to create a new BCM settings file that you would then use the SPS software to upload to the BCM. I am far from an expert and have not used SPS so I am speculating.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Plus right now I don't believe SPS has fixed the problem of the BCM program being readily available. In most cases you buy your subscription, and then stream the update into the car. For whatever reason the BCM update isn't there, and you have to call GM Tech Support. They either send the file to you or remote into your computer for you in order to do the BCM Update. Either way it shakes out, it doesn't happen instantly, and makes it a pain in the butt to play with the different settings.
Joe
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Thanks bstoner & JoeR,

I appreciate the additional info. I may just bite the bullet and spend the $$ for a VXDIAG and experiment. Even if I cant program the interior lights, looks like it would be well worth the money just for the other programming options. Thanks for your help!

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National