TPMS reset procedure

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
elc32955
System Manager

TPMS reset procedure

Post by elc32955 »

I had another sensor go south today while my wife was driving the car.... in browsing I found this procedure on the TPMS forum and thought I'd re-post here for member use.
Chevrolet Caprice TPMS Reset Procedure

GM-8

With standard ignition:
1. Turn the ignition to the ON position (engine off)
2. Using keyless entry system: press and hold lock and unlock button simultaneously until horn sound and release INFO button until TIRE LEARN message is indicated on display. Hold down SET/RESET button until horn sounds. LF turn signal is illuminated to indicate learn mode enabled.
3. Starting with LF tire, increase/decrease the pressure until horn sounds.
4. After horn sounds, proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order, RF RR LR.
5. After LR sensor has been learned, turn ignition to OFF position. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.

With Push-Button start:
1. Press and hold the push start button until the vehicle is in accessory mode. Note: on Cadillac models you will know you are in accessory mode when the Cadillac emblem appears on the DIC.
2. Press the MENU button located on the turn signal lever until “VEHICLE INFORMATION MENU” is displayed.
3. Once you are in the VEHICLE INFORMATION MENU, use the arrows on the signal lever until the DIC displays the vehicle’s tire inflation pressures and positions.
4. Press and hold the button located on the end of the turn signal lever until “ Are you sure that you want to relearn? YES or NO” is displayed.
5. Use the arrows on the signal lever to highlight YES. Once YES is highlighted, press the button located on the end of the turn signal lever. The horn will chirp, “Tire Learning Active” will be displayed on the DIC, and the left turn signal will be illuminated.
6. Beginning with the left front tire, use a TPMS activation tool to activate the LF sensor. Once the sensor has been activated, the horn will chirp and the right turn signal will be illuminated. Repeat procedure in the following order. RF, RR, LR. Once the LR has been activated, the horn will chirp twice. You can then turn the vehicle off to exit “learn mode”.
Haven't verified if this works to try a reset yet but it's worth a shot.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
leadfart

Re: TPMS reset procedure

Post by leadfart »

Easier to buy one of those cheapy re-learn tools on fleabay. Works great. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

on my 2011 its easy to do the relearn in a wawa etc that has the free air pump system within 5 min. Just use the DIC relearn function then follow the pattern of flashing the corner turn signal light that goes on to show you which needs to be done, next you let air out for about 30 seconds by pressing the valve stem until the car honks the horn at you to indicate its verified that corner and move to next flashing light. After all 4 are done refill to correct pressure you desire. No tool required
CapriceX2

Post by CapriceX2 »

I've referred to this procedure a couple times when swapping my 2011 back and forth from summer to winter tires. I thought I would update it a bit. What is shown above is definitely close enough to get you through the procedure, but I simplified it a bit. At least I think this is easier to follow:

1. Turn key on
2. Hold lock and unlock buttons on fob at same time until horn sounds and DIC displays TPMS learn. The left front turn signal bulb will light up.
3. Let air out of the front left tire until the horn sounds and the right front signal bulb lights up.
4. Let air out of the right front tire until the horn sounds and the right rear signal bulb lights up.
5. Continue this around the car.
6. After you finish the left rear tire, there will be two horn honks. The learn is complete.
7. Properly inflate the tires.
CapriceX2
2011 Caprice 9C3 - TSP 220R W/ DOD delete, 10.8:1 Compression, Custom Stainless Exhaust
1995 Caprice Classic Wagon
1996 K2500 6.5L diesel
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I am with leadfart on this one. I used to do the relearning by letting the air out on my 11-13’s , but it is a pain if the car happens to be too far for the air hose to reach. A buddy of mine bought one of the cheapy tools off of eBay and it works great. I need to buy one and give his back to him.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

And Just to update this with current info. We have found the deflate method does not work for the 14+ models. You guys are required to get the TPMS reset tool. Good think is they are like $5 on ebay from China.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
grittenhou

Post by grittenhou »

I can't get my car to go into relearn mode by pressing both lock and unlock buttons on remote. Anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you resolve? Thanks.
grittenhou@gmail.com
2014 Caprice 9C1 L77
2006 GTO 6M
2004 Sierra 2500HD
1978 Trans Am WS6
1974 Blazer K5 4M
1968 GTO 400HO 4M
1965 GTO 462 4M
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

grittenhou wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 pm I can't get my car to go into relearn mode by pressing both lock and unlock buttons on remote. Anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you resolve? Thanks.
It appears as ya have a ‘14 and up car, you’ll need the tool. Was there anything in your DIC menu settings about tpms relearn? After glancing at the original owners manual included with my 2012, I found many options available with that little wheel and the button near it.

To add to the original post, I relearned my tpms today and the passenger rear wheel took about 45-one thousands before the horn sounded. I was getting concerned as the rest were within about 10 seconds of letting air out. All is well now, though it’s clear someone rotated the tires, as fronts are near 50 and rears are near 40.

Once they cool I’ll properly deflate the fronts. The rear monitors seem ok with the 39ish in there so I may leave them.

Anyone know what pressure they ask for more psi at?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Willigaf wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:02 pm
Anyone know what pressure they ask for more psi at?
It generally is 5psi below what is stated on the door sticker.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White