Howdy

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
impalaplt

Howdy

Post by impalaplt »

I'm looking to buy a New Caprice. I've had a previous generation 9C1 (94 cop car, 95 wagon, 95 Chevy SS).

Currently own a 2016 Chevy SS, and a 2018 CTS-V.

Looking for a "PLAY" car if you will.

So, I'm here, looking for information.

Thanks
Gene
GammaFlat

Re: Howdy

Post by GammaFlat »

Welcome. Here's a place to start: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... =31&t=1279

The first couple links are auctions. Cars are in widely differing "condition". Want one that doesn't run, you'll find it. Want one in running condition with a decent body, it's there too. Retired Police cars generally go for 2K to 8K. Generally they have 60-200K miles but most have very high idle hours. Frequently they are retired because of the DOD failure and are in "ticking" condition. Good luck. Keep us current on your progress.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

So, after a few day's of stumbling around, it appears that there is a significant difference between the 2011-2013 and the 2014+ cars....

IS there a Forum/Thread/Discussion that details these differences in detail????

I've tried looking/searching, but, I can't find it.....

Thanks.
Gene
ColoCapriceGuy

Post by ColoCapriceGuy »

The 11-13 have and share many interior parts with the Pontiac G8. For upgrading the interior you can directly swap most items from the B pillar forward with the G8 such as steering wheel, a pillar, center console with the exception of three distinct parts, sun visors-- you get the point.

The 14-17 have and share many interior parts with the 2014-2017 SS (aka Commodore). The 14-17 also have electronic steering while the 11-13 have power steering. The shifter is on the column on the 14-17.

Its better to think about them as two separate generations with no interchange parts except for of course body panels (but even then there are discrepancies such as the door handles). But everything interior is different between the two (except rear seat).

If you like the traditional aussie interior the 11-13 is the way to go, especially if you already have an SS. If you want an updated interior of course the 14-17 is the way to go.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

ColoCapriceGuy gave a great feature comparison between the two generations. I have "Gen I" if you will ('13). The main reason I wish I would have had a '14 or newer is the stereo. I believe they hafe the ability to do bluetooth without mods. Also, 14+ cars can have Satellite tuners added (go here for details: https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/.

One of the downsides of the 14+ cars is the shifter on the column. Many here have upgraded to floor shifters from SS's. The good floor shifters on the 11-13's (kind of a dual gate) are generally with the 9C3's that also usually had carpet instead of a plastic floor. The 11-13 9C1's generally had a simple floor shifter. Many like to upgrade the steering wheel with "paddle shifters" making the lack of a "sport console shifter" less of a problem.

There aren't nearly as many 14+ cars in this country. They are rare.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a 2015 PPV, that only has 52,000-ish miles on it.

Appears to be in good shape......Clean Car Fax, was serviced at a Chevy Dealership......

I'm excited! Now, to get it home!!!!

Ship it, or fly and drive. I really don't have a big enough window this month to drive it, and the thought of a DOD Failure in the middle of nowhere kinda scares me. Not that there's any indication at all that this is a current problem......

It's just the thought of driving a new to me used car across the country with no support/warranty.....Where as if I ship it, and it shit's the bed locally, I can just get it towed home....

BUT.......STILL EXCITED.......

The "MOD" list is starting now!
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Congrats. I understand the consternation about driving or shipping the car. My brother wants one but since he's kind of bottom feeding, he'll probably have it shipped because it's likely to have an engine problem for the price he's willing to pay. (We feel confident we can straighten out about any problem short of block damage.)

See if you can find out the idle hours. Take that number and multiply by 33 to get the "effective additional miles". In other words, if the car has 52K miles, just add (idle hours x 33) + 52,000 for total "effective" miles on engine. If your number is under a hundred thousand, you likely don't have to worry about a DOD failure. ..that is assuming the oil was changed on schedule or better.

Getting to the "idle hours" is accessible using steering wheel controls to navigate through the screens on your dash (dic).

Enjoy!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Depending on how far the car is from you, I really doubt you can fly and drive almost anywhere cheaper than you can have it shipped. We got two vehicles from Cop Cars Online, and had them shipped from the Tampa area to Houston. Both were around $600 shipped, and arrived in great shape. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and since our '10 Tahoe is starting to get long in tooth, may do it again, soon. Without paying careful attention to airline ticket prices, and selection of lodging mid-trip, it would probably be a wash, at best, and then you have to consider your time.

Still, unless it's already ticking, I wouldn't have any problem driving one of these cars across the country. Our Caprice got a cam and lifters replaced under warranty, and while it still has DOD, seems to run fine. Our Tahoe is still running it's original cam and lifters and now has high-100K miles on the clock. The Tahoe is my wife's DD, and she drives it like it's a rental. :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Chevy-Art

Post by Chevy-Art »

Howdy,

Welcome. I am new here also. I bought my car on an auction site, https://www.jstoutauction.com/. It sold in Washougal, WA. I flew there and drove it back home. I enjoyed it and got to know the car. It ran great. With lots of prayer. I would do it again. Where are you located? There is lots of good information here.
2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV Hugo Blue
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

Well, it’s got 8500 engine hours…..so using the mat that’s 281,700-ish miles, plus the 52,000 actual miles. Total engine miles are 11,400.

Thoughts? Run away? Get it anyway and plan an engine refresh?