Hello everyone!

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
dougstory

Hello everyone!

Post by dougstory »

Just got a 2012 9C3 V6 car on GovDeals. Nice interior, a little rough on the outside. Only disappointment is a mysterious clunk in the rear end on step-off. Might be good excuse to get a LSD installed. Third zeta car after an SS and a G8. They just go down the road so well.
JoeR

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by JoeR »

Welcome!

Joe
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Post some pics. First time I've heard of a 9c3 with a V6.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

dougstory wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:33 am Only disappointment is a mysterious clunk in the rear end on step-off. Might be good excuse to get a LSD installed.
Maybe it's your driveshaft?! U-Joints are cheaper than a rear end. I have a factory 2013 LSD (2.93) with less than 60K miles I'd sell for 100 bucks. I put in a 3.27 from a Camaro. Either way, enjoy! These are great "rides".
Welcome and enjoy the incredibly deep resources available on this forum!
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

The V-6 Caprices use a smaller flange on the pinion than the V-8’s. You will need to measure what have and make sure you are getting the correct differential if it is the culprit. The u-joint is staked in and I don’t think it is replaceable by the average mechanic shop. Should be able to check for slop at the u-joint to eliminate it as the cause.
dougstory

Post by dougstory »

Hey All, Thanks for the replies. It was the carrier bearing on the drive shaft. Mystery solved

d
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Thank you for posting the fix. Folks on Facebook aren’t good about posting the fix.