Colorado caprice

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Powder11

Colorado caprice

Post by Powder11 »

Hello group. I am a new member. Actually have been reading for months but I officially pulled the trigger and bought a detective full cloth front and rear with full carpet 2014 blue v8 Caprice last week. Already ordered a zl1 steering wheel. Plan on throwing together paddle shift. I am going with full length headers, want to delete cats and mufflers but don't want it deafening. Going to DOD and going with a 230 lift cam of some sort. Want it to be nasty but stay NA. So far love the car. Can't wait to get into this forum more.
Thanks for reading!
Joe

Edit/ added photos. These photos are from the dealer. I will post more in the next couple of weeks.
Attachments
640x480.jpeg
640x480.jpeg (65.31 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
640x480 (6).jpeg
640x480 (6).jpeg (58.24 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
Last edited by Powder11 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mooseman

Re: Colorado caprice

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Post up some pics!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Welcome Joe!
Everyone here loves pictures ;)

I'm a pretty fresh owner and have found this forum extremely valuable.

Keeping it quiet is gonna be a challenge. You may want high flow cats or an expansion chamber or mufflers or some combination. The problem with the mufflers is that the factory ones are very odd - similar to a Camaro or Vette configuration where they're kind of boxy and have weirdly placed inlets and outlets with unique hangers. Replacing them with a high flow unit in the factory location might be challenging. BarryM (on this forum) recently put these in front of the rear axle: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-630860. I currently have Solo Axle backs (all the rest stock) and it is already pretty loud. Headers will exacerbate that problem. I want headers as well but need to get the sound down somehow. Ah, an adventure!

I have not done the DOD yet. There's a lot of discussion here on that topic. You are probably aware, but keep in mind that your cam choice should involve thinking about your torque converter (will you put in a bigger stall?). I'm thinking LS9-ish with less LSA: 211/230 .562/.562 122.5 LSA which is considered pretty mild. Our current (L77) specs: 196/208 duration, .478/.466 lift, 116 LSA.

I'm assuming you have a 9C3. That's great! You get a console and carpet while 9C1 owners are prowling for carpets and consoles. You can determine all your options by downloading a spreadsheet and entering your codes off of your SPIL (Service Parts Identification Label) here: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... 001#p32001
The search capabilities are your friend but if you have questions, fire away!
Regards,
John
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Powder11

Post by Powder11 »

Thank you guys for the warm welcome, advice and tips. I enjoy reading what works and doesn't work. Keep them coming. :)
I do love how this car is the best kept secret in the modern car world.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

I do love how this car is the best kept secret in the modern car world.
Shhhhhh.
Don't tell anyone that.....
  • We've got an LS2 with LS3 heads.
  • We've got a Camaro suspension.
  • We've got a top speed of 158 mph.
  • We have a 13.9 quarter mile time out of the box.
  • These things are so upgrade-able - cams, widely available differentials, wheels, engine parts, etc.
  • These cars pass the sniff test as a family sedan.
All:
Please feel free to add to the "Shhhhhh" list

BTW - I love the color!
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome to the group! Nice find and I like the color also. After the 2013 model year the 9C3 option was dropped. You could order the car with the carpet, full cover hubcaps, etc. But, the "column shifter" is going to be tough to relocate to a center console configuration (If you want to go that route). The 2011, 12 and 13's were a WM configuration and in 2014 they became a WN configuration.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

That is a beautiful colour. Reminds me of the old RCMP cruiser colour with the white door.

Even with the stock cam, with DOD turned off, it can make decent power with a good set of headers and exhaust. Mine was tuned to just shy of 400hp and 436lb/ft.
Powder11

Post by Powder11 »

Thank you guys for the nice words. I love the color. It is exactly what I wanted. And I am so excited to start tinkering!
First on my list is headers and full exhaust. So many contradicting thoughts. :)
I want to run without cats and just have a resonator or mufflers to bring it down a little.
And I want to leave the oil cooler alone. What are you guys thoughts or opinions?
Thanks again for the warm welcome
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

If you get headers for the SS, they fit with the oil cooler in place. On the ones I got (Maximizer), I had to dimple a tube that was touching the steering shaft and bend the A/C compressor muffler away from another tube.

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... =20#p29893

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... e&start=30
ColoCapriceGuy

Post by ColoCapriceGuy »

very jealous. I am in Colorado as well and actively searching to buy one of these cars. we will see what comes up and is available.