2014 Caprice

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Lord Vader

2014 Caprice

Post by Lord Vader »

Greetings! I bought a 2014 Caprice last week from an auction. I'm waiting for it to be delivered. No telling when that will happen. So far all I have are a few pictures from the auction. I'm not new to 9C1's, I currently have an 89 and a 95 (LAPD), as well as a 1996 Impala SS. Before those, I had another 95 Caprice (CHP). From what I can tell these new Caprices are totally different animals. My 14 has 98K miles on it and I am already losing sleep over the AFM/DOD issues. I guess I'll have to wait and see how the engine sounds and see if I can get the service records from the PD it came from. I'm sure I will be on here asking a lot of questions, thanks in advance!
GammaFlat

Re: 2014 Caprice

Post by GammaFlat »

Welcome aboard. These beasts are "Zeta Platform". Think 10-15 Camaro and G8..
There's a lot of great information here. If you're intensely worried about the DOD, you can unplug the sensor that's in your vacuum booster for your brakes (shout out to Mooseman.. I think). You'll throw a code but you won't go into 4 cylinder mode. In theory, you eliminate the chance of the DOD wrecking your engine. The problem arises during the transition of the funky lifters that change from normal to collapsed and vice versa. Lifters can, of course, fail at any time but eliminating the "transitions" makes the typical failure less of an issue. Later, you may choose to address the issue another way. There's plenty of write-ups here about DOD deletes.
Good luck and most importantly, enjoy your car.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

One of the great things about these cars is that they come with a built in excuse to do a cam. 8-)
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

GammaFlat wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:20 am If you're intensely worried about the DOD, you can unplug the sensor that's in your vacuum booster for your brakes (shout out to Mooseman.. I think).
Yep, that would be me :D

It does work, used it until I got a Range device and eventually a tune. Only thing is that you get the CEL and the message on the dash you have to cancel at each startup so it does get old after a while. It will prevent the collapsed lifter failure however won't prevent cam or lifter failures caused by high engine hours.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419