New to me 2014 Caprice PPV 9C1 6.0L L77

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
markf1971

New to me 2014 Caprice PPV 9C1 6.0L L77

Post by markf1971 »

Hi,

I've never owned anything newer than a 2004 until I just bought at auction this 'new to me' 2014 Caprice PPV 9C1 6.0L L77 with 134K miles. The car runs and drives good. I put over 1,500 mile on it in just two weeks.

I've got lots to learn and I'd welcome any suggestion for links or threads to start with. My first thoughts are that I need rear seats as mine had the prisoner ones, then I need to figure out the pros & cons of DOD. I guess the mileage savings is not worth the loss of longevity or folks wouldn't be deleting it?

I'm not big into pics, but here is one before y'all ask.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8pb28ol0jbgb ... 1.jpg?dl=0
JoeR

Re: New to me 2014 Caprice PPV 9C1 6.0L L77

Post by JoeR »

Welcome! If you're happy with the way it drives, I'd keep the DOD until it broke, but that's me. I bought mine with the lifter collapsed and the camshaft pretty beat up, so I did mine. I'm a mechanic though, and it's not the first time I'd been into one, so it wasn't a big deal for me.
The cool thing about doing the DOD delete is that you have to choose a different camshaft, and the LS engines really respond well to cam changes. The 2 things you'll need to know though, is that if you put a really hot cam in there with the stock torque converter, it will take the fun out of daily driving, and that whatever cam you choose, you're going to need to get it tuned afterwards.

Joe
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

You can deactivate it with a tune, which will prevent its eventual failure. Until then, you can stop it by unplugging the vacuum sensor on the brake booster. You'll get CEL but you'll know what it's for.

And no, you won't miss that 5% fuel economy, which is not even noticeable.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
markf1971

Post by markf1971 »

Mooseman wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:41 am You can deactivate it with a tune, which will prevent its eventual failure. Until then, you can stop it by unplugging the vacuum sensor on the brake booster. You'll get CEL but you'll know what it's for.

So, is the mechanical permanent deletion of the DOD really only necessary when the lifter(s) collapse? Doing the tune sounds too good to be true..... Is it really as good as doing the parts swap?
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

markf1971 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:21 pm
Mooseman wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:41 am You can deactivate it with a tune, which will prevent its eventual failure. Until then, you can stop it by unplugging the vacuum sensor on the brake booster. You'll get CEL but you'll know what it's for.

So, is the mechanical permanent deletion of the DOD really only necessary when the lifter(s) collapse? Doing the tune sounds too good to be true..... Is it really as good as doing the parts swap?
There's a lot of guys out there that modify their truck exhausts and then don't like the sound of the engine in 4 cyl mode. I'd say 99% of those guys just want the DOD mode eliminated. HPTuners can make that change. Of the trucks I have seen done I have never seen a DOD failure afterwards. Not once.
HOWEVER, I have heard from guys that I trust that they have seen it. So I'd say there's a really good chance you won't have a DOD lifter failure if you kill it in the tune without the camshaft change. I don't believe it is a guarantee though, but close.

Joe
markf1971

Post by markf1971 »

[/quote]
There's a lot of guys out there that modify their truck exhausts and then don't like the sound of the engine in 4 cyl mode. I'd say 99% of those guys just want the DOD mode eliminated. HPTuners can make that change. Of the trucks I have seen done I have never seen a DOD failure afterwards. Not once.
HOWEVER, I have heard from guys that I trust that they have seen it. So I'd say there's a really good chance you won't have a DOD lifter failure if you kill it in the tune without the camshaft change. I don't believe it is a guarantee though, but close.

Joe
[/quote]

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I just got my 2014 PPV L77 and it has 134K miles. So, I am going to try and see if the municipality that I purchased it from will share the service history with me, but I haven't contacted them yet. I have no idea at this point what if anything has been done to the L77.

Has anyone ever heard of the DOD being deleted on a patrol vehicle that was kept in service by any law enforcement agency?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

markf1971 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:21 pm

Yes unless you WANT to swap it out. These lifters fail when DOD is activated, the lifter is collapsed and doesn't return when commanded back on. By not being collapsed by DOD, it won't fail unless it fails for a "normal" reason like many hours of idling, roller failure, camshaft wear, etc.
markf1971

Post by markf1971 »

So, I am going to try and see if the municipality that I purchased my PPV from will share the service history with me, but I haven't contacted them yet. I have no idea at this point what, if anything, has been done to the L77.

Has anyone ever heard of the DOD being deleted on a patrol vehicle that was kept in service by any law enforcement agency?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Easy to check is to drive it with the fuel economy page up that shows if in 8 or 4 cyl mode. If it never goes to 4 cyl, it's been deleted or at least deactivated. Some PD's may get them tuned. I know the Ontario Provincial Police here does and if they're smart, they get DOD and stop/start deactivated, which technically, is illegal :lol: