New Member looking to build my Caprice

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Notorious

Re: New Member looking to build my Caprice

Post by Notorious »

kevink wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:15 pm
bstoner wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:24 pm If you want to get an idea of what it takes to make big power I would go to G8, SS, Camaro5, CTSV boards and read up. Many guys over there have made big HP. The Caprice community is such a small group and there are not many big power Caprices out there. Off the top of my head you are going to need engine work, forced induction, driveshaft (questionable at what hp it will go), upgraded differential, halfshafts, rear suspension work, upgraded trans (again not sure at what hp it will let go) and tires.
1000 tire is a ridiculous number and I kind of think this build is a pipe dream. I mean, that's 1,250hp at the crank. You aren't doing that without a serious amount of money. When OP finds out how much money it takes to make that kind of power, he'll probably change his goal. He's looking at forged internals with possibly increased displacement, a big ass turbo or blower, huge injectors, serious fuel system, a TH400 or 4L80e, one piece driveshaft, aftermarket axles, Camaro diff with a True Trac at a minimum, 15" wheels, all aftermarket rear suspension parts, etc., etc, etc. You could probably do it with a 6L80, but this trans is a piece of shit imo, so why bother.
Not ridiculous at all and you're certainly entitled to your own opinion but to say my goal for my car is a pipe dream is disingenuous as you've no idea what my target is and how much drive i've to achieve this and i'll take my time with this build, not in a rush but definitely my goal is to hit 1k+ whp. Theres a myriad of caprices out there pushing well over 1,000+ whp, forget crank, lets talk wheels. And again not sure by what you define "serious amount of money" but its very doable and i've seen and know people across the ocean who've done it and daily drive it, mostly in gulf countries. And again i'll "probably" not change my goal because i've a set target of goals that i want to achieve, thats why i asked for consultation. No need for increased displacement and all the things you've mentioned is easily doable and can be acquired either here or overseas and pretty sure this trans isn't a piece of shit otherwise no one would run it.
Last edited by Notorious on Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

kevink wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:23 pm
bstoner wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:16 pmRunning DOT slicks everyday or street tires? At some point too much HP is no good if your suspension and tires are not set up to handle it.
I run drag radials on the street exclusively, and with about 500 tire, there is no traction at all. These cars just don't hook on the street even with a 275/60/15 DR. They're heavy as F and the rear suspension is not designed to plant the tire. Can you tell I'm getting bored of this platform? haha.
I've seen a bunch of caprices have excellent grip, all depends on your tire quality, traction and other factors. If an S class and nissan patrol which weigh more than a caprice can launch with excellent grip then so can the caprice; just need the proper mods to do so. Where theres a will, theres a way.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I am slowly building my car to handle big power. My target is a 10 second reliable street car. Here is a rough list of what I am planning on or have already installed. This might help give you an idea of what you need to support your motor build. As I said I am only heads/cam right now while I am upgrading the car to handle a future motor.

Rear end
3.45 Camaro Diff
JRE caps
TrueTrac diff
Speedmaster diff cover
BMR bushings

Rear suspension
Outer trailing arm bushings
Rear trailing arms
Rear toe rods
Solid cradle bushings

Driveline
Rebuilt trans
Circle D triple disc torque converter
1 piece driveshaft
DSS halfshafts

Exhaust
2" headers
3" dual exhaust with your flavor of mufflers/resonators

Intake
A million choices, pick one, I have Rotofab right now

Fuel system
Boost a pump
Injectors to match
Voltage booster
Re-program fuel pump module
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

bstoner wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:41 am I am slowly building my car to handle big power. My target is a 10 second reliable street car. Here is a rough list of what I am planning on or have already installed. This might help give you an idea of what you need to support your motor build. As I said I am only heads/cam right now while I am upgrading the car to handle a future motor.

Rear end
3.45 Camaro Diff
JRE caps
TrueTrac diff
Speedmaster diff cover
BMR bushings

Rear suspension
Outer trailing arm bushings
Rear trailing arms
Rear toe rods
Solid cradle bushings

Driveline
Rebuilt trans
Circle D triple disc torque converter
1 piece driveshaft
DSS halfshafts

Exhaust
2" headers
3" dual exhaust with your flavor of mufflers/resonators

Intake
A million choices, pick one, I have Rotofab right now

Fuel system
Boost a pump
Injectors to match
Voltage booster
Re-program fuel pump module
Im following this, what are your thoughts on putting dual fuel pumps from the cts v? is that beneficiary? thanks for the list and info, this helps with my build as well. Keep me posted! and best wishes on your build journey!
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

As you know we have a ZL1 pump factory. You can program your fuel pump control module (FPCM) to the ZL1 specs as our stock module is programmed to drop pressure as rpms increase. Need 1 HPTuner credit for $50. That gets you to 66 gph and around 500-525 whp setup. Add a Boost a Pump (BAP) for $300-350 and I have heard you are good for 600 whp. If you run a CTS-V with dual dw300c pumps I have heard you are good for around 750 hp or a DSX Aux pump and good for 800 hp. If you need crazy fuel then you are looking at the Fore or Squash which get pricy along with running a return line, having to keep more fuel in the tank, etc.

Our stock pump is 250 lph. The CTV dual pump is dual 190 lph pumps. Some say the stock CTSV dual is not E85 rated but others say they haven't had issues.

Take everything I am saying with caution. All of these are rough numbers based on my research on other forums. It is not exact. No personal knowledge here. Ultimately running 93 or E85, injectors, FPCM programming, volatage, are going to factor in how much fuel pump you need. Datalog your fuel pressure!
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

bstoner wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:08 pm As you know we have a ZL1 pump factory. You can program your fuel pump control module (FPCM) to the ZL1 specs as our stock module is programmed to drop pressure as rpms increase. Need 1 HPTuner credit for $50. That gets you to 66 gph and around 500-525 whp setup. Add a Boost a Pump (BAP) for $300-350 and I have heard you are good for 600 whp. If you run a CTS-V with dual dw300c pumps I have heard you are good for around 750 hp or a DSX Aux pump and good for 800 hp. If you need crazy fuel then you are looking at the Fore or Squash which get pricy along with running a return line, having to keep more fuel in the tank, etc.

Our stock pump is 250 lph. The CTV dual pump is dual 190 lph pumps. Some say the stock CTSV dual is not E85 rated but others say they haven't had issues.

Take everything I am saying with caution. All of these are rough numbers based on my research on other forums. It is not exact. No personal knowledge here. Ultimately running 93 or E85, injectors, FPCM programming, volatage, are going to factor in how much fuel pump you need. Datalog your fuel pressure!
Gotcha, im gonna look deeper into this. Thanks as always for the myriad of info!