New Member looking to build my Caprice

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Notorious

New Member looking to build my Caprice

Post by Notorious »

Hello everyone! Hope ya'll are doing well. I am a new member here and own a 2015 caprice that previously belonged to user @ vetterss which i bought back in April of this year. The car is pretty much stock (well for me sorta) except with a few mods starting with drilled & slotted rotors, carbon ceramic brake pads (which are rusting and making screeching sounds when braking so i'll change em in the future), BTR stage 2 comp cam with slight idle chop, custom cold air intake, magnaflow exhaust, eibach lowering springs with cop struts, minor holden conversion and other little bit work done, here and there.

I absolutely love the car and wish to do alot more to it. But i've so many questions that i will list here but i can and will post later on the forums later for more in depth info. My goal is to achieve 1,000 whp or more out of the L77 engine with alot of cosmetic (exterior work done) along with a chevy ss instrument cluster swap and maybe changing the gear position later. My questions are and range from the following:

1- I've a set of corvette wheels (18F, 19R) and am told that i will need spacers to have to run on the rears and even the front possibly. Is it better to not run these wheels since they require spacers or i can safely drag and roll race with them on? (i was eyeing on other 5x120 wheels but since i've these vette wheels laying the garage, i'd figure might as well put them to use, im not sure if they're from a C5 or C6 but my guess is the C6), i can post pics later.
2- I wish to have more a cam chop and more "roar" from the engine like a really loud cammed car should sound, is there anything that can be done to my current cams and is straight piping a good option for the "roar" and grumble sound of the V8.
3- How easy is it to swap the chevy SS cluster with the caprice (i know it has to be reprogrammed but no idea who and where to do it from)
4- I wish to install JBA long tube headers and "re-tune" the car after installation of the headers and keep running e85 instead of 93, which the previous owner ran and also i wanna see how much whp im pushing on my current setup
5- Any recommendations on "throttle responsiveness" tools or plug and play? i used to have a sprint booster on my toyota corolla and it made a huge difference in throttle response so was wondering if sprint booster is available for the caprice
6- Anywhere i can get a hood cowl or custom cts-v, zl1, hellcat, corvette styled hoods for the caprice? im in North Houston.
7- How much whp can i squeeze out of an LSA supercharger if i bolt it on to the caprice? i've heard anywhere from 7-800 whp depending on pulley and other mods.

These are all the questions i can remember from the top of my head, any advice, info and recommendation would be appreciated and i will be posting these questions on the forums again, just for more visibility and feedback! Thank ya'll and these caprices are no joke, really underrated sleepers!
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: New Member looking to build my Caprice

Post by Pursuit »

Notorious,
Welcome to the group! We have amassed a lot of information here, from a good group of contributors. I would suggest that you pose your questions in the closest related topic. You will probably get better/quicker responses from the individuals that are knowledgeable on each topic.

Good luck!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Pursuit wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:03 am Notorious,
Welcome to the group! We have amassed a lot of information here, from a good group of contributors. I would suggest that you pose your questions in the closest related topic. You will probably get better/quicker responses from the individuals that are knowledgeable on each topic.

Good luck!

Maurice
Thank you, will do that! take care.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome! To follow-up on what Maurice suggested, for some of the topics you request information on there is already considerable material in the sub-forums (the cluster swap is one example). You'll receive more input back if you pose questions one at a time in the appropriate sub-forums and if you do your reading & research before you begin to query the group. We've been at this almost 10 years now and members do grow weary of answering the same type questions repeatedly. The search function is your friend! We have tons of knowledge amassed on these cars, but if we have not already covered something that you're interested in or if you still have questions after reading the posted material - don't hesitate to ask away!

Good luck with your build!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

elc32955 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:43 am Welcome! To follow-up on what Maurice suggested, for some of the topics you request information on there is already considerable material in the sub-forums (the cluster swap is one example). You'll receive more input back if you pose questions one at a time in the appropriate sub-forums and if you do your reading & research before you begin to query the group. We've been at this almost 10 years now and members do grow weary of answering the same type questions repeatedly. The search function is your friend! We have tons of knowledge amassed on these cars, but if we have not already covered something that you're interested in or if you still have questions after reading the posted material - don't hesitate to ask away!

Good luck with your build!
Eric
Thank you sir. I am on it! appreciate all the information, i'll do my research on here and ask on the appropriate sub-forum if needed.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

1. Bolt the rims on and see how they fit. If you need a spacer then order one from https://www.motorsport-tech.com/.
2. You can adjust the idle rpm, timing, and fueling to get more or less cam chop. I have the BTR LS3 Stage 2 N/A cam and it has a loud chop. There is no mistaking it and it turns heads in parking lots. I was trying to go for stealth sleeper and it killed it. Your tuner (or you) can make it chop more by lowering the idle speed and playing around with fuel and timing until the engine lopes with each revolution giving it that shake and chug chug chug, Also need more info on the rest of the exhaust to provide feedback on exhaust sound. I have 2" ARH headers with 3" custom duals.
3. Search the forum for instructions. Need to send to Chris White to have programmed.
4. Do it! Headers and a good flowing exhaust are a must. I am suprised they didn't install headers when they did a cam swap.
5. Please no. Do not use any add-on devices. It is all in the tune. A tune will make the car responsive. If that isn't enough after a tune then you can have the throttle body ported by Vmax or Bo White. It won't really had HP but make the car feel more responsive/touchy on the gas.
6. Never heard of custom hoods for the Caprice.
7. LSA whp is very dependent on the whole setup. Way too many factors to say numbers. Do you stay with the LS2 block or go LS3 block (or more). What head work? What exhaust? What intercooling? What intake? Any porting on LSA? Injectors? E85 or 93? Exhaust? Cam? You have to look at the whole package. If you just bolt on a LSA to a stock setup you might only add 100-200 hp. To get to 700-800 hp on a 1900 LSA verse say a 2300 or Whipple you are going to need all the supporting mods to make the combo work right. If LSA with big power is the direction you want to go then you need to look at everything. Block, heads, cam, intake, exhaust, suspension, rear-end, etc. and put together a matching package. Your budget is probably the limit! LOL. Go to SSForums, CTS-V, Camaro5, and read up on their forums for different builds and their results. Just keep in mind we have a LS2 6.0L block, LS3 style heads that are slightly different, and DOD that needs to go (which you might already have done).
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Notorious wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:31 pm
4- I wish to install JBA long tube headers and "re-tune" the car after installation of the headers and keep running e85 instead of 93, which the previous owner ran and also i wanna see how much whp im pushing on my current setup
Unless you bump the compression beyond using pump gas, or are running lots of boost, running E85 will only cost you horsepower and mileage. In our engines, 87 octane will make more power than E85 will.

Joe
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

bstoner wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:52 am 1. Bolt the rims on and see how they fit. If you need a spacer then order one from https://www.motorsport-tech.com/.
2. You can adjust the idle rpm, timing, and fueling to get more or less cam chop. I have the BTR LS3 Stage 2 N/A cam and it has a loud chop. There is no mistaking it and it turns heads in parking lots. I was trying to go for stealth sleeper and it killed it. Your tuner (or you) can make it chop more by lowering the idle speed and playing around with fuel and timing until the engine lopes with each revolution giving it that shake and chug chug chug, Also need more info on the rest of the exhaust to provide feedback on exhaust sound. I have 2" ARH headers with 3" custom duals.
3. Search the forum for instructions. Need to send to Chris White to have programmed.
4. Do it! Headers and a good flowing exhaust are a must. I am suprised they didn't install headers when they did a cam swap.
5. Please no. Do not use any add-on devices. It is all in the tune. A tune will make the car responsive. If that isn't enough after a tune then you can have the throttle body ported by Vmax or Bo White. It won't really had HP but make the car feel more responsive/touchy on the gas.
6. Never heard of custom hoods for the Caprice.
7. LSA whp is very dependent on the whole setup. Way too many factors to say numbers. Do you stay with the LS2 block or go LS3 block (or more). What head work? What exhaust? What intercooling? What intake? Any porting on LSA? Injectors? E85 or 93? Exhaust? Cam? You have to look at the whole package. If you just bolt on a LSA to a stock setup you might only add 100-200 hp. To get to 700-800 hp on a 1900 LSA verse say a 2300 or Whipple you are going to need all the supporting mods to make the combo work right. If LSA with big power is the direction you want to go then you need to look at everything. Block, heads, cam, intake, exhaust, suspension, rear-end, etc. and put together a matching package. Your budget is probably the limit! LOL. Go to SSForums, CTS-V, Camaro5, and read up on their forums for different builds and their results. Just keep in mind we have a LS2 6.0L block, LS3 style heads that are slightly different, and DOD that needs to go (which you might already have done).
Wow i didn't know a tune could do all that! i am a total newbie when it comes to tuning and modding american/aussie cars (im coming from a toyota and vw bug lol) you reckon its best to go to a professional tuner and get the cam chop/idling done through them because i do want to retune the car and make it to my liking versus what the previous owner had done. I don't have the slightest idea on tuning myself but the tuner said they can tune my L77, do straight pipes and headers etc since they work on camaros, cts v, ss, corvettes and other muscle cars daily.

I don't know much on the exhaust except that its a magnaflow and i just want more of a V8 grumble from the exhaust and engine like i hear from alot of mustangs, chargers etc. Thats why i thought of straight piping, installing headers (the current ones are old and look rusty thats why i assumed they're stock) i definitely want that very loud cam chop on idle, driving etc to match the loud exhaust note once i straight pipe.

I saw on the PPV facebook groups that a few members installed roar peddle which is an add on throttle booster/controller and they say it works like a charm. A lot of people whom have it installed said their 0-60 times were reduced and their car "woke up" having an instant response when the pedal is pressed - isnt this option cheaper $160 vs porting the throttle body? i do know a tune helps but anything that would make this 4,000 lbs car move like a corvette is a blessing for me. Tune im getting done for sure for the cam chop, fuel, power gain and other things but porting i've heard is pricey. I will be getting a better throttle body though in the future.

As for the LSA, im torn on what supercharger to get. My current L77 engine has 120K miles and im thinking just slapping on an LSA or Harrop or Magnuson S/C to achieve 1,000whp but i can be in the 7-800 whp range too for a while until i can do more with the engine. My goal is to SC the stock engine block as compared to getting an LS3, although i would love to swap an LS7 7.0 to the caprice and if thats doable S/C that bad boy. Is an LS7 swap easy and doable on our caprices? id rather wait and put an LS7 in then S/C it than to S/C the L77 but if its alot of work and money involved then ill S/C the L77 and build that to 1,000whp.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

JoeR wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:42 am
Notorious wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:31 pm
Unless you bump the compression beyond using pump gas, or are running lots of boost, running E85 will only cost you horsepower and mileage. In our engines, 87 octane will make more power than E85 will.

Joe
i've never heard from any caprice owner to run 87 neither have i heard that 85 causes power loss but 85 does burn gas way quicker. The previous owner always ran 93 and i assumed since the caprice is flex fuel and built to run e85 and i assumed the previous tune on this car could run 85 and 93, even 92, id do that. Thats why i need to visit a tuner and adjust fuel etc so i can be comfortable running on 85, 92, 93, 100 octane and achieve massive power.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

For starters it doesn't sound like your car was tuned properly. With the vehicle properly tuned you won't have throttle lag. I know with my car it is instant torque pin you to the seat or roast the tires... and I am not even high HP like some of the forced induction guys.

You don't need any add-on devices which are used to offset an air temp sensor or throttle position sensor to 'trick' the ECM (computer). All of that is handled in tuning the computer. A roar pedal just offsets the throttle position sensor so the ECM recieves an altered signal to make it think you want more throttle then what the accelerator pedal actually reads. You are just lower the resolution of the pedal and wasting money. It won't make you go any faster. It can't. That's not how it works. I also would not recommend porting your TB right away either. The TB is not a restriction and you won't gain any HP from it. You only port it to make the car more responsive, i.e. smaller movements in the TB blade result in more airflow.

As for running regular, premium, or E85 it all depends on what it was tuned for. If it was tuned for regular or is a stock tune you gain nothing but switching fuels. If it was tuned for premium you need to run 91/93 or you may get knock. E85 on a naturally aspirated motor you may get around 10 hp if you had the heads milled to bump up compression and run more timing. Not really worth it unless you are talking about possibly saving money in fuel cost vs. fuel economy differences. If you go FI then E85 can get you some big power gains!

Near as I can tell searching the forum you have an unknown mild cam, DOD delete, new mufflers, and cold air intake. Was the car tuned? I would call Twisted Steel and ask if then tuned it. Headers would make a difference and I would add that to your to do list. I would also change the rear end ratio if you want more acceleration. Depending on cam I would consider a torque converter as well.

If it was me I would do headers, rear end, and then get it tuned. Chris Henry, Shane Hinds, Pat G, Mike from New Era, DynoSteve, Ryan at GPI, Ted Jannetty, etc. all are top notch tuners. Then starting saving up for forced induction.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....