Roof Hole Fix

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Hayk

Re: Roof Hole Fix

Post by Hayk »

Nice work. I would have definitely gone this route if I have a welder and some welding skills :lol:

What I did instead was remove the headliner to be recovered, and I patched the roof holes with several layers of fiberglass and resin from inside the car. Sanded down the excess resin on the outside of the roof till smooth with roof and wrapped the roof in black gloss vinyl wrap (car itself is black).
'11 White Caprice 9C3
'14 Silver Caprice 9C1
'11 White Caprice 9C1
'13 Silver Tahoe PPV
mburrus

Re: Roof Hole Fix

Post by mburrus »

i only had a single. small hole on my roof (about 3/4") for the light bar. being in the electrical business, i used an "oil tight" knock out seal... stainless is best, but all i had on hand was painted steel.

removed the gasket on the knockout seal, filled the "dished" part with 3m 4200, placed it in the hole and mushed it down, then placed the bottom part and wing nut on the inside, and spread the remaining 4200 around on the inside.

outside appearance is a small "bump" that doesnt match the car, but it is a very good and very quick way to seal the hole, no welding, bondo or paint.
2013 9C1 (former city of Ft. Lauderdale FL), L77
2014 Silverado 2500HD L96, 6L90e, 4.10