R&R help - 2014-17 rear door upper interior window trim moldings

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
elc32955
System Manager

R&R help - 2014-17 rear door upper interior window trim moldings

Post by elc32955 »

OK, I know other people have replaced these moldings so I'm posting to find out what the correct & easiest method is on installing is. My interior upper door moldings (around the sides and top of the rear window) were drilled with 6-7 small screw holes for the window protection bars to be installed. I ordered both new moldings from GM and have them ready to install. I needed to pull the old ones to rustproof/seal the holes in the bare metal at the top of the door anyway as well as to clean up the back seat aesthetics. You don't leave bare metal exposed for too long in Florida or face the long-term consequences.

Now, the FSM is basically almost completely silent on the correct procedure to put these in, the only thing it really says is "start from the top and work down". The moldings have like 6 press-to-fit clips that go into the inside of the track on the front side and the top, not the back side. That's not the problem, what I'm finding is the moldings don't want to lock in at the bottoms and they hang out. And, I'm here to tell you that the fit is incredibly tight. In order to pull the old molding (I'm working on the right side right now, first one) I had to tug with incredible force to get the molding to break loose. The retention clips stayed on the door and I had to manually remove those one at a time.

So, what's the magic trick to install these? I know other people are going to be in this predicament so I thought I'd ask now... especially since my door is still tore apart. Naturally the door panel has to come off to replace the moldings, I'm using the time to put the speaker grill in the door panel as well. I ordered one of the 4-inch grills from EBAY and they fit & work fine. After I get the first door molding knocked out I'll attempt the left side, but I'm currently somewhat stalled until I figure this out.

Thanks!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: R&R help - 2014-17 rear door upper interior window trim moldings

Post by elc32955 »

Well, the new molding is on. I took the car to a friend's body shop with 30+ years of experience and we worked on it over his lunch hour. A few things about those window moldings...

The FSM says start from the top and work down. Well, if they have a technique in mind it wasn't apparent, rather crappy instruction set if you ask me. This is the RIGHT REAR window we're working with for this narrative. The factory obviously put the molding on without window interference as the window sticks up about 2 inches, it's not a flush drop at the bottom. So, since we didn't want to drop the window off the regulator we had to remove the one retainer clip at the bottom of the molding on the left hand side in order to get the molding to go into it's proper place, you don't need this clip at all - trust me! The strip across the bottom with 5 retainer clips that the door panel hangs on has to come off. Work from the front bottom around the door, snapping the clips into place one at a time. You'll have to use a plastic spudger or thin screwdriver (I used a jeweler's screwdriver) to make sure the gasket goes over the top of the molding. As you get closer to the right hand side, you'll need to re-install the bottom strip before you get the last pieces locked in. You'll need to force the right side of the molding where it meets the bottom of the window into it's retaining area, it will eventually set into place. Then you'll work with the bowed-out molding on the lower right so that everything sets in place and pops into track. Flush up/settle in the rest of it as needed.

This may not be the factory procedure but it worked, all went into track, and we didn't screw-up the molding or the car. The same procedure should work on the left side. I'll tackle it when I feel ambitious!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.