Touch up paint info (white)

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
RMC

Touch up paint info (white)

Post by RMC »

I took off the front license plate holder (because Ohio just got rid of the front plates). I found out that the bumper cover had been repainted in a different shade of white. I then tried to get some touch up paint. I found my paint number was 679F. I confirmed it with the dealer.

There is no Duplicolor listing for our car. I called Duplicolor and they tried to look it up. They could not find that number. They suggested that I contact automotivetouchup.com. There was no listing for my 2011, but there were listings for later cars. I called them and they said to use a 2011 Pontiac, all cars, and find the number. It was listed there and is called Heron White. They have all types of touch up paint for it.

Now my quandry is whether my car is actually Heron White. I know that it was repainted, likely by the dealer that I bought it from. They said that they always do it in the original color. I remember that my '91 Caprice 9C1 was white (Polar white?) and that it was a more yellow white. This Caprice is a much brighter white (blue tint in it maybe).

I will just order a pen and see if it matches. I thought others might like the info.
Mooseman

Re: Touch up paint info (white)

Post by Mooseman »

Interesting. Good to know, especially for me here where there are NO Caprices at all except mine so it would have been real head scratchers for shops here when I eventually get the little dings and chips fixed.

Thanks.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Bill.kurman

Post by Bill.kurman »

So I’ve bin down this road there is a 2k paint in spray can we get from stahl for touch ups on there bodies that’s a perfect match apparently they call it gm fleet white I did my rear quarter panel and it looks great. Now I went paint my front bumper and we didn’t have any left so I got a gm white from duplicolor and it’s definitely not rite
Bill.kurman

Post by Bill.kurman »

Pics for reverence
Attachments
67B31F37-AF5F-4D60-8893-81667A5D55BE.jpeg
67B31F37-AF5F-4D60-8893-81667A5D55BE.jpeg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 727 times
A6293586-1C60-4B6F-8187-795A6BF271E2.jpeg
A6293586-1C60-4B6F-8187-795A6BF271E2.jpeg (3.75 MiB) Viewed 727 times
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Heron White is Heron White. You may get close substitutes, but that's the original paint applied to these cars running down the assembly line. Now, GM Fleet DID offer some custom paint colors for Impalas for large fleet orders, but to my knowledge these were not available with the Elizabeth plant for Caprice use.

A good body shop will offer computer color matching. Get them to pull up the WA679F Heron White, then give you the 2 or 3 closest color matches so you have an alternative selection. The guys I use can match any paint color, so if you are serious about wanting either the exact factory color or a close sub your car may have ended up with they can do it. And so can many others. I know my guys will do a small quantity for touch-up use, you'd just have to check with your locals to see what the minimum quantity of a color they'd make for you would be.

Just another option to consider. Good luck!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.