Heated & cooled SS Sedan seats installed in 2014 PPV?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
markf1971

Heated & cooled SS Sedan seats installed in 2014 PPV?

Post by markf1971 »

Hi,

I'm really new to the forum and I've only had my 2014 Caprice PPV L77 for a couple of weeks now. I have done a lot of reading and it sounds like the 2014-2017 SS Sedan front seats can be installed in the PPV with a modification to the rear of the seat rail. There was also mention of jumping a hot wire to supply power to a pin # that needs power:

"You need to combine pins 11 and 29 (PPV has power to 11, but needs that power jumped to pin 29)"

OK, so here is my question:

I could feasibly install a complete front set of SS Sedan seats complete with all wiring, modules, & components in place. I could also obtain and install both of the following:

2014-2017 SS Sedan AM/FM radio touch screen w/ heated & cooled seat controls
GM part # 92272723

Radio assembly-receiver (2014-2017 SS Sedan)
GM part # 92287179
RPO code: &UHQ&UP9-UWG
Radio ID: ZW98K38E

So, would I also need to install a 2014-2017 SS Sedan Body Control Module to make the seats fully functional (heating, cooling, & memory settings)? OR, is there some 'wizardry' that can be done with the existing PPV BCM to 'turn on' the seats?

I would appreciate any help. I would also be willing to document and share whatever it takes to make it all work if this hasn't been done yet. I looked and couldn't find it, if it exists already.

mercedessd1 asked about this, but what I saw didn't show or tell that this has actually been done.

I hear tell that Steve Walker is the guru on this stuff. Again, any help would be appreciated!
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Heated & cooled SS Sedan seats installed in 2014 PPV?

Post by elc32955 »

Mark

There's been some documentation on the SS seat swap into the Caprice in numerous threads. I'd encourage you to review the previous threads if you have not done so already. This includes the numerous radio swap threads. You will need to send any new radio into WAMS for programming as it will not work in your car unless the VIN matches. There is also a difference in the SS radio as it normally uses an external amp, 14-17 Caprice radios are internally amplified within the radio box itself and the speaker count is fewer.

Regarding activating the rest of the controls, there are harness differences in the door panels, additional needed wiring for the heat/cool switches, and definite programming issues. Seek out Chris White with WAMS and he should be able to tell you what would be required programming-wise at least to accomplish this. The project is do-able, but it may take more effort & funding then a superficial look would provide.

Keep us updated on how this comes along!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
markf1971

Post by markf1971 »

Eric,

If the project is too expensive or not feasible to get the 'climate' features of the SS seats functional in my PPV..... Then SS seat swap would be worth it for the seat upgrade alone right?

I read a thread titled "Change caprice seats for 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan seats ???" that started in May of 2016, but it was April 2021 before I saw you declare that yours was "BAM DONE!" So if you know of a better thread that I should check out, then please share it with me.

Are the G8 front seats as nice as the SS ones?

Thanks!

Mark
6172crew

Post by 6172crew »

I’m starting down the same path in a week or so. 2015 PPV and a 2016 SS interior. The 2015 caprice silver box has the CD player and the 2016 SS box doesn’t but it does have the buttons for the heated and cooled seats.
On my SS I’m running a high/low bypass to add 50 watts to the stereo and it somewhat bypasses the Bose amp which isn’t very good. The PPV owner isn’t a audiophile guy so we might go the east route and use a bypass from the 2016 SS radio and run a amp to drive aftermarket speakers. It doesn’t need to be loud, just work right. The only issue is the wiring kit for my pioneer converter came from Australia and it took a few weeks to get here. I think I have $400ish into the conversation. You can find the video online about the system I used. It’s basically the same Plug and play wiring kit the HSV uses for the EDI unit.
I used google for the first search which led me to this forum so I might add links back here if I find more information to help others in the future.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Sorry for the delay in reply, I didn't see your response & query back.

In all reality I personally find the police seats more comfortable then the SS seating. I only put a SS seat in for my wife since she liked it better then the police seat, so my car is a hemraphrodite - police seat on the left for my rotund ex-cop posterior, SS seat on the right for either my wife or a passenger, G8 GT rear leather seating. I keep the passenger police seat in the garage in case I ever need to make the car match again in case I decide to sell it (or sell the SS seat!), I can have the police seat back in there within 30 minutes or less.

I've never owned a G8 so I can't make that determination. The SS seat is full power, the G8 seat uses basically the same style controls as the 14-17 police seats - half power, half manual (11-13 were actually full power for the driver and sometimes the passenger so they're the oddball out).

I've tried to pursue a way to manually work on at least the seat heaters but I haven't made any progress. There are folks here that have done full SS interior and seating conversions, you just have to seek them out to see if they can send some institutional knowledge your way. I'm dangerous at best on any given day, lol.

Good luck!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
6172crew

Post by 6172crew »

It’s slowly coming together. I didn’t see a thread joining together some of the other owners efforts but we ended up finding lots of the information needed.
As others have mentioned; the rear doors are longer, roof is longer, deck lid longer so much of the back seat area except seats need to stay WM. I have a complete wiring harness from the SS but it would mean I’d had to convert to floor shifter and the emergency brake mod that I’m just not willing to do at this time.
Hopefully someone comes up with a HUD wiring kit, and maybe figure out how to rig the start/stop button and get rid of the older ignition setup…although I think the owner likes his column shifter and old school ignition so no harm there.
Attachments
C588A7BB-C607-4B16-8EB1-CD8EA9DD1FD5.jpeg
C588A7BB-C607-4B16-8EB1-CD8EA9DD1FD5.jpeg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 1359 times
Interior
Interior
image.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 1359 times
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I installed a 17 SS radio in my 14 PPV. Sent to Chris White to have it programmed. As you know the SS does not have CD player so I lost that. I haven't used a CD in probably 10 years. LOL. It was plug and play and dropped right in. Everything works same as stock radio. Also I added a GPS antenna to get the maps to work. Its nice but considering you can't update the maps anymore eventually it will be really out of date.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

bstoner wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:33 am I installed a 17 SS radio in my 14 PPV. Sent to Chris White to have it programmed. As you know the SS does not have CD player so I lost that. I haven't used a CD in probably 10 years. LOL. It was plug and play and dropped right in. Everything works same as stock radio. Also I added a GPS antenna to get the maps to work. Its nice but considering you can't update the maps anymore eventually it will be really out of date.
the 16-17 are the 1's with out the CD , the 14-15 have the CD player , i used the 14-15 in mine , and also im putting in the 14-15 into my 16 SS