correct headliner material?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
xcidmigs

correct headliner material?

Post by xcidmigs »

Has anyone had their headliner recovered in a factory matching fabric or anything else? I bought my car with several tears and stains in the headliner from what i don't know, was never a cage installed inside. I know the whole thing will come out the rear doors and I'm sure i am able to do that plus i want to install sound deading to the roof metal but i have never seen this material before.
bsparks72

Re: correct headliner material?

Post by bsparks72 »

You probably don't want to buy it from GM! http://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-parts ... -roof-scat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Contact these guys: http://midwestfabrics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See if you can find what you want in the "Detroit Book" of OG fabrics:

http://midwestfabrics.com/wp-content/up ... t-Book.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let us know what you get. Thinking this will be a common problem.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Often times stains in the headliner on a police car in random places not just the rear seat area can sometimes indicate water leaking into the roof. This is more common than you think with poorly sealed holes from light bars and or radio antennas. Does your car have any holes in the roof.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

no it has 12k miles and never had any of that outside equipment, the stains are much more on the dirty hands looking stuff like they are on the edge of the sunvisor and the a pillar trim area, I'm starting to wonder if a GM tech bought this car as a leftover to beat on a for a while and just wasn't very clean on a daily basis... the holes aren't clean in the liner material as if someone just decided to stuff a giant coffee table in the back seat and it struck the roof as it was going in or out.
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

That makes sense. I have also noticed that it is very important to have clean hands when working on the interior surfaces near the headliner as it stains easily due to its light color and material. Most of our cars have stains on the headliner near the a pillar from when the upfitters removed and re installed a pillar trim to run wires. Glad you don't have any holes in your car.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

XC you make any progress in IDing a material? Looking at replacing visors and map lights from G8 wondering if it would just be better to go with the G8 black headliner material and get rid of the tan all together. Wonder why they did tan at all in the first place?

Then would just have to the A,B,C pillar covers in black. Not sure if the G8 ones would fit in the A and C areas. Maybe would have to get a part from AU or cover the tan one in some of the black headliner material.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

9C1fanatic wrote:That makes sense. I have also noticed that it is very important to have clean hands when working on the interior surfaces near the headliner as it stains easily due to its light color and material. Most of our cars have stains on the headliner near the a pillar from when the upfitters removed and re installed a pillar trim to run wires. Glad you don't have any holes in your car.
Even if you have what you think are clean hands, you can still get marks on the headliner!! I'm thinking it's probably best to wear NEW work gloves when dealing with the headliner.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I had another car that needed headliner and i finally found the type used in the caprice and other new and high end cars... its called "flat knit" This store sells it to the Audi crowd but its clearly the same and look at all the colors. Its hardly more $$$ than standard stuff. I just did a jeep for $40 and it looks new...

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Headlin ... /239411198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i have to admit after looking at so many versions online i'm tempted to do the caprice in the new style micro faux suade. Has anyone seen that in person I just wonder if it looks as good as it does online.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

My ONE attempt at replacing headliner material was a total and complete FAIL! I never could figure out how to do it. Ended up taking all my headliners to a shop.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?