G8 seats

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Lentzjj

Re: G8 seats

Post by Lentzjj »

Having troubles getting headrest tubes out....where am i supposed to slide the screwdriver?
Lentzjj

Post by Lentzjj »

Lentzjj wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:38 am Having troubles getting headrest tubes out....where am i supposed to slide the screwdriver?
Nevermind outsides of the metal post :mrgreen:
Bradman29

Post by Bradman29 »

Hello, and thank you for all the info! I just ordered some g8 seats for my 2012 ppv
It looks like you used the caprice base as not to loose all electrical options. Can I used the entire caprice seat and add the padding and leather to it? Im asking because my g8 seats both have only one electrical option(guessing it's to go back and forth). Thanks again, Brad
Brad
2012 Caprice Ppv
Regal GS 20's with holden lion centers,275/35's all the way.
WM spoiler, side markers,
Badges, Door handles,Radio.
Trailer hitch, rolled fenders and exhaust tips.
Stereo 4-5 1/4, 8-tweeters, 2 6.5 mid bass, 2 Massive Hippo 12's
Tint on all 8 windows.
Alarm system
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Lentzjj

Post by Lentzjj »

See page 1 of this post
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Lentzjj wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 am
Lentzjj wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:38 am Having troubles getting headrest tubes out....where am i supposed to slide the screwdriver?
Okay, you guys are smarter than me, when you say slide a thin blade screw driver along the metal tube, and further the "outsides", do you mean from the exterior or with the rest of the seat assembly removed from the interior of the seat? Is there a retainer clip for the plastic inner tube liner? If so, what is it's orientation on the dial? 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock?

Thank you!
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

VintageIron41 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:46 pm
Lentzjj wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 am
Okay, you guys are smarter than me, when you say slide a thin blade screw driver along the metal tube, and further the "outsides", do you mean from the exterior or with the rest of the seat assembly removed from the interior of the seat? Is there a retainer clip for the plastic inner tube liner? If so, what is it's orientation on the dial? 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock?

Thank you!
Got it! My mistake was thinking the locating tab at the top was the one being referred to. To any one else doing this for the first time, working from the exterior of the seat, with the head rest removed, find the locating tab where the plastic insert fits at the top of the metal tube, then going straight down from that position you will find the release tab.
roman1978

Post by roman1978 »

i have a question if the lumbar support is non functional why do we need to cut out for the button for lumbar support
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Because the lumbar does work. The original G8 is manual with the knob on the side of the seat back. However, if you swap the seat back from the Caprice's to the G8 base, the electric lumbar does work. Besides, you pretty much have to swap it because the side airbag is different and will throw an airbag error if you keep the G8's.

One thing you have to do is cut a slot for the fore and aft electric adjustment of the G8 base since the Cap's was manual. The funny thing is that the Cap's switch already has that provision but can't move forward or back because of the lack of that slot. I think I got pics of it in my build thread. The info is also in here somewhere. Look for the one that swaps the seat back.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
ColoCapriceGuy

Post by ColoCapriceGuy »

So, I took care of my swap this weekend and would like to document a few items I have found, which will save future users time.

I printed this guide out to help me but was stuck at a few pieces.

The side trim of the seats pops up by pushing the trim piece forward. The manual lumbar pops off with two flat head screwdrivers prying up on the inner piece.

As for the wiring- the wiring is all held on by a platform with is tabbed onto the seat. There is no reason to take the bottom cover of the seat to get off to the wiring. Simply unclip the plastic wiring tray from the seat, and migrate it to the new seat. Make sure to take a moment to add the new grey wires for forward-backward functionality while in the process. This will speed up your process greatly.

As for the grey wires. This post is very clear for the driver side what to do for the forward-backward wires (what slots to insert them to). On the passenger side, it is vastly different. You have a 50/50 shot at the harness or you'll end up with the seat moving backward when the button is activated forward and vice versa. It's not a big deal, you'll just have to remove the seat to fix it. Anyways, to save you the step, the red gray goes into the left open port and the solid gray goes into the right-most port.

Lastly, a huge question I was stuck on is if I had to swap the Caprice Passenger Presence Sensor to the G8 Passenger seat. The reasoning is as the weight may need to be zeroed out, which would cause an airbag light until a dealer could rezero it. - Way over thinking. The G8 System was fine, no airbag lights were thrown.

This project is time-consuming but is fairly easy, If I had to do it again knowing what I know now, it could probably be done in 2-3 hours. However, if it is your first time allow 7-8 hours for this project.