rear windows don't work

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
jackleg

rear windows don't work

Post by jackleg »

When I got the car the rear doors would not open from the inside and the rear windows wont operate from the back door switches.
I de-trimmed the door panels and found the inside door handles were disconnected from the cables so that was easy. The window switches and wiring all seems to be connected.
The dealer wants $100.00 to "look at it" and needs permission from GM to change the calibration if needed. I worked there about 9 years ago (its all different people there now) and I remember doing a few BCM replacements on other vehicles and all that needed to be done was to go to a "set options" with Tec2 and place an (*) by the options needed. There was no "special calibration" from GM or asking permission..
We went on to talk about the ign key recall and that I wanted an extra key made. (They already ordered the 2 keys and had them there) Was told it would be and extra $50.00 to program an extra key! really? like they don't already have it all set up to do the recall, just add one more. I said I thought all that had to be done if there was already a working key was to start it with the good key, shut it off, start with new key before time out. He says "oh, no it's not that simple" and would not even sell me that spare unless I paid to have it programmed. Guess they'll be sitting on those keys-not like they'll fit anything else.
OK rant over- what I need to know is the rear window inop fixable w/ Tec2 options? (assuming I can get my hands on one for a few min)
The power mirrors also don't work so it may be that the master switch is bad? all 4 windows work from the master switch and the front passenger switch operates the front passenger window- assuming the master wdo lock out is not pressed.
Thanks
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: rear windows don't work

Post by smwalker »

So what you need to do is check your SPID label for option 6N5. that is the rear window inop option. The service manual lists it as a KERR industries code. And as you can see by the list below that is mostly physical stuff. I am not sure they do any BCM programming at Kerr . Although that last one "Calibration Download" sounds like a tech 2 thing so I am not sure.

BUt then another member whos rear windows did not work noted that it felt like the switch did not have any "feedback" in it like a normal switch does and later investigation found the switch was physically modified to not work. Maybe that's how KERR achieves that option?

Discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=949&p=8571&hilit=6n5#p8567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So sorry no solid answer on this one. Tell us what you find!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Huh, Also found a newer TSB (March 2016) that seems to confuse things more. Go full screen for this one: http://i.imgur.com/vCm3Kya.png?1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This listing is Under "available programming options" and under 6N5 it says it is only available for 2014 and up.

So does that mean in 11-13 6N5 was done physically and 14 and up it was done by programming? Or just a misprint?

Huh.

Then here is the old TSB the new one above replaced it does not seem to specify any year coverage under 6N5 option:

http://i.imgur.com/Au6yca1.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mess.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

OK, it does have "6N5"
The switches do feel normal- can hear a click in each direction and they spring return to neutral.
A wiring diagram would be helpful.
Sometimes I miss having access to GM Service Information and a tech2.
I'll contact Kerr Industries and ask- could be that simple.
Any other thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks- Ill post up what comes of it.
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Looked at the 11 and 14 wiring diagrams. 11 does not seem to show any interaction with the BCM while 14 does. SO I would say something is physically cut somewhere.

Here is the 11 diagram:

GM Diagram 9C1 here: https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 662596.pdf

GM Diagram 9C3 here: https://www.chiltonlibrary.com/content/ ... 717212.pdf

Motor Diagram Full Screen: http://i.imgur.com/1zFGSEu.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Maybe I'm confusing our 9C1 with our Tahoe PPV, but I seem to remember someone replacing the rear door switches with replacements from ebay, and getting working rear windows by working them with te rear door switches. It seemed that everything was wired up, but the door switch was a dummy.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Maybe I'm confusing our 9C1 with our Tahoe PPV, but I seem to remember someone replacing the rear door switches with replacements from ebay, and getting working rear windows by working them with te rear door switches. It seemed that everything was wired up, but the door switch was a dummy.
No you are right Gene another member found that the switches were internally broken because they felt like they were not making contact with anything inside the switch. OP here stated his feel like they are making contact and feel like normal switches. So the broken switch theory is out on this one. Maybe. With the diagram he can back probe them and confirm they are actually working and have continuity.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

Thanks for the diagram! I'll be able to figure it out with that.
looking at the diagram, "X276" on the window lock ckt between the master switch and the rear switches would be an ideal place to disable the rear switches.
I'll report back in a few days when I have time to play with it again
2011 9C1 6.0
Flex fuel tune
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

smwalker wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:Maybe I'm confusing our 9C1 with our Tahoe PPV, but I seem to remember someone replacing the rear door switches with replacements from ebay, and getting working rear windows by working them with te rear door switches. It seemed that everything was wired up, but the door switch was a dummy.
No you are right Gene another member found that the switches were internally broken because they felt like they were not making contact with anything inside the switch. OP here stated his feel like they are making contact and feel like normal switches. So the broken switch theory is out on this one. Maybe. With the diagram he can back probe them and confirm they are actually working and have continuity.
Thanks, Steve for verification. I think the Tahoe may be the same thing, but haven't tested that yet. I HATE pulling door panels off. That's always such an opportunity to break one.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

jackleg wrote:Thanks for the diagram! I'll be able to figure it out with that.
looking at the diagram, "X276" on the window lock ckt between the master switch and the rear switches would be an ideal place to disable the rear switches.
I'll report back in a few days when I have time to play with it again
Good eye, that is a likely candidate. It is an 8 cavity plug with only one wire in it. Looks to be like under the back of the passenger seat carpet area? I think.

EDIT: Yea found description in another listing: "In the passenger compartment, on floor behind passenger seat"

http://i.imgur.com/6vpXOiR.jpg?1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White