Wiring up an SS shifter into a PPV

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Wiring up an SS shifter into a PPV

Post by smwalker »

Should have some good feedback by then. Will be ready for you.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

sounds good
PPVOS

Post by PPVOS »

Totally cool. I'll be looking for a set soon.

Will this wiring work with TUTD shifting?
Any info on how it will work with paddles on the steering wheel?
TTriglia417

Post by TTriglia417 »

Man I have to start off saying this is an amazing thread, the detail you added and how it was presented really helps guys like myself see what all needs to be done to get all these mods we want to do in our PPV’s possible. Figuring out that only a simple tune of the BCM to allow the For manual shift is really cool. I just purchased the SS dash, door panels, center console, gauge cluster, and auto shifter assembly. So I’m very much invested into this modification. Would you be able to make this harness for me? Also is this easily ran with dash in place? I was kinda of confused on the comment that you could only make 2. Just let me know if your able to help. I Appreciate it even if not because the info you provided. Thanks man - Thomas
RM96

Post by RM96 »

Great thread, just saw it. On my 2016 with the SS floor shifter, the only thing I never got to function was the red illumination for currently selected gear on the shift position indicator. Was anybody else successful with this? I The entire gear indicator does light up white though. Current gear is displayed correctly with both the SS and PPV ipc
TTriglia417

Post by TTriglia417 »

jrob56

Post by jrob56 »

TTriglia417 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:03 pm Man I have to start off saying this is an amazing thread, the detail you added and how it was presented really helps guys like myself see what all needs to be done to get all these mods we want to do in our PPV’s possible. Figuring out that only a simple tune of the BCM to allow the For manual shift is really cool. I just purchased the SS dash, door panels, center console, gauge cluster, and auto shifter assembly. So I’m very much invested into this modification. Would you be able to make this harness for me? Also is this easily ran with dash in place? I was kinda of confused on the comment that you could only make 2. Just let me know if your able to help. I Appreciate it even if not because the info you provided. Thanks man - Thomas
Steve had the parts on hand to make 2 as prototypes to verify the measurements I gave him for the wires. I did this in a raw cut wires and butt connectors installation and provided him the lengths of wire I used so that he could make this harness. He wants some feedback on the completed harness lengths before producing more. My install and lengths were with the dash out following the existing dash harness. I think this can be done with the dash in the car, but I have not tried. The hardest part will be getting to the two connectors on the back of the dash shifter which you'll need to unplug and plug into this harness and your routing will kind of be up to you and where you tuck and hide the harness. The dash shifter I think will have to stay bolted in place if you don't have the dash out, getting that out with dash in place would be challenging if even possible, the arm does unbolt from the shifter though so shouldn't be visible after you cover the hole in trim piece.

After installing this harness, the TUTD manual shift at the shifter just needs enabled in the TCM not the BCM. Any tuner can do this, I used HPTuners to turn it on. The paddles on the steering wheel working like factory, however, appears to lie in the BCM configuration and that is where this LIN wire comes into play. BCM programming for this function is not currently available yet.
RM96 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:55 pm Great thread, just saw it. On my 2016 with the SS floor shifter, the only thing I never got to function was the red illumination for currently selected gear on the shift position indicator. Was anybody else successful with this? I The entire gear indicator does light up white though. Current gear is displayed correctly with both the SS and PPV ipc
This is interesting, I have this swap done and mine lights up white, but I dont know if I had the red light up for current gear. I just remember looking at the Caprice IPC and now the SS IPC since I swapped that in. I will double check mine, but this could be another function that lies in the LIN wire if I was to speculate.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

PPVOS wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:35 am
Will this wiring work with TUTD shifting?
Any info on how it will work with paddles on the steering wheel?
Ones wired up and you have the Trans tuner adjustment enabled it will to manual shifting from the shifter.

As Jrob56 mentions the paddle sifters (hooked up in the factory specification) are not active. We are hoping that can be turned on with a BCM reprogram. Now some guys have gotten the paddles to work on thier cars but I believe they are hooking into the spots that the shifter uses on the BCM. So what I and Jrob56 are trying to do here is recreated it as close to factory as possible when using a SS shifter and SS paddles. If you are not interested in that there are ways to make them work and that I think has been covered in other threads.

Also with that being said If I can remember I will also include a wire with the kits that goes from the vehicle side clock spring connector to the BCM spot for the paddle shifter signal. If you are already under there may as well hook up all the wires for when we hopefully have a BCM programming option for it. Then if you ever install a Wheel with paddles it will all be pre wired.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
RM96

Post by RM96 »

Here's a picture of the currently selected gear being illuminated red in an SS.
Shifter.jpg
Shifter.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 6476 times
Also worth noting, my BCM is unmodified. TUTD works from my floor shifter, but currently my wheel paddles are dead. They are pinned to the BCM in the SS location, but that appears to be inactive in the Caprice. I prefer bumping the shifter anyway, so much so that I have been sitting on a TR6060 also from a 2016 SS, just lost interest/motivation for this car right now.
jrob56

Post by jrob56 »

RM96 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:33 pm Here's a picture of the currently selected gear being illuminated red in an SS.
Shifter.jpg

Also worth noting, my BCM is unmodified. TUTD works from my floor shifter, but currently my wheel paddles are dead. They are pinned to the BCM in the SS location, but that appears to be inactive in the Caprice. I prefer bumping the shifter anyway, so much so that I have been sitting on a TR6060 also from a 2016 SS, just lost interest/motivation for this car right now.
Yeah I checked mine and doesn’t light up red either, I’d bet that lies in that LIN pin and BCM, but I can’t say for sure.

The paddles issue lies in the BCM we believe, I wired like factory SS as well. The theory was that shifter LIN network pin tells the BCM, “I’m here” and then when in manual mode allows the paddles to work at pin X3 21. The BCM doesn’t seem to care on our cars though. That pin appears to always be dead. Hoping Chris White can figure it out.