Steering wheel controls/horn don't work

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
frbtofdth

Steering wheel controls/horn don't work

Post by frbtofdth »

I had to remove my steering wheel a couple times and in doing so caused the controls to stop working. I removed it last night and noticed that the buttons did not light up, but worked. Volume, source, voice command etc all worked fine. I removed it this morning to resolve an issue with clock spring alignment and now, as the title states, nothing on it works including the horn button. I see a spot on the harness where the wire insulation looks damaged so I may have pinched it and broken a wire. Is there a replacement harness?
s/c'd cav

Re: Steering wheel controls/horn don't work

Post by s/c'd cav »

if you had to mess with the clock spring , you likely need a new clock spring , they can only be turned so far before they break internally
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

There is a replacement harness that is not to expensive:
GM 20922890
But confirm its not your clock spring also as that is the more common item to fail.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

As posted above, a clock spring can only go so far one way or the other before there's the potential for damage. To avoid damage, align everything as if your were going straight ahead... straighten your wheels, make your steering wheel straight BEFORE you remove the tab on the new clock spring and attempt to install.

You might even want to put a piece of masking tape on the spinning part and outer shell to prevent movement. You want it to go in exactly as it came to you. In other words, any prior rotation of the center section of the clock spring puts you at risk of "over twisting" the internal wires (that are wound like a clock spring by the way).

If yours worked in the past and the only thing that changed was a disassembly/reassembly, it is possibly "mis-aligned" and broke the coiled wire inside (flat cellophane with very thin conductors embedded. i.e. easy to break).
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Clock Spring and sensor.png
Clock Spring and sensor.png (692.7 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
Above, is a clock spring from a 2009 Vibe/Matrix. Above the clock spring is the steering wheel position sensor (not sure if I have the name correct). It's job is to know where the steering wheel is and is used by the electronic steering system and possibly stability features (2014 and above Caprice).

Below is the two of them assembled. They will "drop in" to your steering column behind the steering wheel (this is obviously not a Caprice part but they are generally the same). The part facing upward goes in first. Part of the assembly (outer) "stands still" with the steering column having wiring harness connectors. The other part "inner", travels with the steering wheel/steering shaft and delivers instructions from the buttons and horn on the steering wheel (it's an array of laddered resistors that your radio can see and make a determination of what you're trying to do.. i.e. increase volume).

It is critical to mark the steering wheel relative to the shaft (Sharpie!) and re-assemble exactly as taken apart. If the splines are not "keyed" and you are off by a tooth or more, your electric steering won't work correctly (fights you) and you could break your clock spring. Re-aligning the steering wheel would be challenging (dis-assemble, adjust, re-assemble, drive to test, repeat). I hope there are better ways to fix mis-alignment than that :shock:, but I'm not aware of any. It's best just to not muck it up :D .
Clock Spring Assembled.png
Clock Spring Assembled.png (550.72 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio