DIC steering wheel controls not pulling up DIC display

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
JTRUCKJMC

DIC steering wheel controls not pulling up DIC display

Post by JTRUCKJMC »

I picked up a new to me 2013 9C1 and when I tried exploring my DIC programing options I could not get the DIC display to come up with the steering wheel controls. Maybe I am trying to access it wrong but i tried several ways but no luck. The normal system startup and speed are there but can't get it to switch over. Is there a fuse or ground for this circuit. Could a past dealer that traded this car unhooked it some how.? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
GammaFlat

Re: DIC steering wheel controls not pulling up DIC display

Post by GammaFlat »

My 2 cents: If your steering wheel has been removed and re-installed incorrectly, it may have broken your clockspring (connects your steering wheel buttons to the wiring harness). This can also happen during front end alignment. Your steering wheel controls send signals to the BCM. The BCM decides what to do with them.

My experience is with the Radio. If you look at the harness specs to the radio, you'll find the there is only one "control signal wire" going to the head unit. This single connection manages all of the communication to and from the radio/HVAC controls including volume, radio channel, etc.

My bet is that there is one signal wire from the steering wheel controls offering up any of a number of resistance values to indicate how the BCM should interpret it (the signal).

My first guess is that it is your clockspring. Next would be some bad connection between your steering column (clock spring) and the BCM (literally less than 2 feet away).

Pure speculation: maybe the "de-installer" of police equipment was a bit heavy handed.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
JTRUCKJMC

Post by JTRUCKJMC »

THX for your input Gammaflat, I will dive into this some day soon.
I did not mention that the horn and radio volume do work fine, just can't pull up the DIC.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

That makes it more confusing. It could still be the clockspring but I'm doubting it now. I can get at my "information center" while rolling but maybe some cars disable it (via BCM) unless you are stopped?
So... you can't change the display by hitting the menu button?
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
JTRUCKJMC

Post by JTRUCKJMC »

Only tried access while stopped, in park. Radio acts crazy while trying to dial a channel in on FM, tuning bar goes one way then another or to one end of the scale or another.