SS Sedan door panel electrical interchange to 2014-2017 PPV

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
elc32955
System Manager

SS Sedan door panel electrical interchange to 2014-2017 PPV

Post by elc32955 »

Quick question for the group. I just did a 2014 SS door panel swap to my 15 PPV and guess what... tried the controls and I've lost control of the front window switches and the mirrors. Rear windows function correctly from the drivers door (the rear door switches are non-op, have replacements on-order). I thought about doing a basic switch swap from the PPV to the SS door panels, the mirror connector is the same but not the driver window switches... different connector altogether. Locks are fine both from the inside controls and the remote.

I thought about just swapping the switches and harnesses in entirety between the two door panels as the PPV panel was known working, but thought I'd hold off on that step in case there was a known issue/quick fix that I wasn't aware of. Can't find on the site here where anyone has run into this yet. And, yeah I have not busted open the driver door harness yet as everything was working fine prior to the door panel swap. Too coincidental to have a harness fail at the exact same moment as the swap, my bet is a wiring issue in the panel(s).

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Re: SS Sedan door panel electrical interchange

Post by Mooseman »

Maybe the door modules need to be programmed for your car? Could have been a change between the years. Easy way to avoid this is to swap them out.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Re: SS Sedan door panel electrical interchange

Post by elc32955 »

I found another quirk last night. Noticed the door sensors were not working correctly, stereo and instrument panel lighting staying on with key off & door open. Prior to this they shut down whenever the door was open during the normal exit process. RAP timing was shutting down everything after a few minutes thankfully. Enough oddball stuff happening to where it makes you go Hmmmmm.....

So, like any troubleshooting process I'm going to return to status quo ante. I'll swap the old door panels back in later today and see where that takes me. If it all return to normal, path to least resistance will have to be determined - whether it's a door module reprogram/swap or just swapping the PPV harnesses into the new panels. Those multi-pin lockable connectors attached to the door panels seem to be fastened pretty securely though....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Re: SS Sedan door panel electrical interchange to 2014-2017 PPV

Post by s/c'd cav »

interesting issues
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well, I swapped the PPV door panels back in, connected them up, and everything returned to normal. While everything was apart I took some pics of both panels, the wiring between the PPV and the SS Sedan is radically different as far as pin locations and color codes to the big mating plug. My mind must have turned to jelly during the lockdowns because that's a car 101 - always check the wiring! The only thing I'm using is the switch bezels from the SS door panels right now, everything else is in parking mode for the time being.

I did find out one good thing, the large lever-action connector is held on to the door panel by a latchable slide-on mount. So, it can come off without too much problem, just a flat-blade screwdriver to unlatch the connector and let it slide off the mount. Also in checking the production labels I found out the SS door panels had a mfd date of later 2013, naturally mine is 2015 being a MY 15 car. SO... looks like a few things to note here. I wish I could look at 2015 door panels from an SS for a comparison, this could be a model year specific issue with different wiring. First year of production on the SS panels, yada yada.

Here's a few pics. Comparison of the 2014 SS and 2015 PPV door panel wiring as it goes to the big plug. First pic is the PPV, driver's door panel.
20210424_162405.jpg
20210424_162405.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 5346 times
Now the SS driver's door panel.
20210424_162238.jpg
20210424_162238.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 5346 times
PPV driver's side panel plug
20210424_162251.jpg
20210424_162251.jpg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 5346 times
SS driver's side panel plug
20210424_162226.jpg
20210424_162226.jpg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 5346 times
SS panel, passenger side front plug
20210424_145755.jpg
20210424_145755.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 5346 times
PPV panel, passenger side front plug
20210424_145742.jpg
20210424_145742.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 5346 times
Again, the good news is that a harness swap does seem more possible now since the big plug slides off a clip mount. I was deathly afraid it was hot-melted in place but that's not the case, only the mount is hot-melted.

Thanks
Eric
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Looked into this before and if I recall concretely the feature on the SS that tilts the mirrors down when the car is placed into reverse is handled by logic in the door SS window switch. So there is some extra wires running to it for data and such. The PPV door window switches are DUMB and just move the windows. Imagine that.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Didn't know the SS had mirror down tilt on reverse. Interesting.

Anyway to sum up this thread - unless you want to do a whole bunch of rewiring in the door harnesses to get the limited additional functionality the SS has, if you do a SS door panel swap just swap the PPV electrical harness onto the SS door panel and then put the PPV switches into the SS trim panel, then into the door panel. Problem solved. This just gives people going after me here a bit of good information to run with. I'll just work on one panel at a time over a weekend and eventually harness swap both panels, ending up with my SS panels installed.

Finis'
Eric
jrob56

Post by jrob56 »

elc32955 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:42 pm Didn't know the SS had mirror down tilt on reverse. Interesting.

Anyway to sum up this thread - unless you want to do a whole bunch of rewiring in the door harnesses to get the limited additional functionality the SS has, if you do a SS door panel swap just swap the PPV electrical harness onto the SS door panel and then put the PPV switches into the SS trim panel, then into the door panel. Problem solved. This just gives people going after me here a bit of good information to run with. I'll just work on one panel at a time over a weekend and eventually harness swap both panels, ending up with my SS panels installed.

Finis'
Eric
Yes you are correct, 100% the way to go. I dont get on here as often as I used to(sorry could have answered your question), but that was the way I did it last winter. I tested everything with panel hanging, found issue, swapped harness and switches and voila!

FYI the facebook groups are more active and search works pretty well. PPV Owners and Fans and Caprice PPV Unlimited are the 2 main groups.