2014 keys and fobs

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Lord Vader

2014 keys and fobs

Post by Lord Vader »

I bought a 2014 at an auction. It has the remote start and 6 additional key fob options on the SPID (AMF, AQQ and BTV.) It came with a single brass key that starts the car and unlocks the doors. I went to a dealer and bought a new key fob (part number 13585386) and they cut it to the code they got from the VIN. Since the immobilizer apparently has been disabled, the new key starts the car. I'm fine with that but I want to get the remote keyless entry working. After over $100 for the new fob and cutting the key, the dealer wanted an extra $170 to program the RKE. I told them to get lost and left. I bought a VXDIAG passthrough from Amazon (I saw someone else here that has one and said it work well.) When I got the VXDIAG thing, I set it up and got it to read the car using GDS2. When I get to the part about "Module Diagnostics" there is nothing about the RKE module listed. Does GDS2 read and poll the available modules? Or does it list them based on the VIN? I'm thinking maybe the PD unplugged the receiver under the rear package tray and that's why it's not showing up? I tried to use the new Techline Connect but the program crashes immediately after it connects to the car. If I use TC "Offline" I still don't see where the keyfob programming could be done. I also want to turn the automatic headlights back on and I see how to do that via the BCM, I just can't get there while connected to the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
Lord Vader

Re: 2014 keys and fobs

Post by Lord Vader »

Today I took the rear package tray out to check the fob receiver. It's there and it's plugged in. Looking at the wiring diagram, I see 4 wires going to the BCM and two for the antenna. I'm not sure where it gets its power from. Does anyone know? I've checked fuses and saw two that look like they might be involved in the trunk fuse block (F105 and F125), but those cavities arent populated with receptacles for fuses.

I got the Techline Connect working and tried to update the Keyless Entry Module. It failed, saying it could not connect to the module. Then I updated the BCM so I could get the rear window switches to work. That operation went fine, so it wasn't a communication problem with TC or the VXDIAG passthrough.

My next step is to take it to a locksmith, but I don't want to pay them $75 to tell me the keyless entry module is offline.

Thanks for any suggestions.
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

I have a 2013, so I can't help much. However, there is a transmitter programming procedure a little past halfway, in the "2014 Caprice PPV Technical Guide", available on this site under the Files tab on the Home page. If that's no good, then hopefully a stored code can point you to the right diag chart. You got this! 👊
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Thanks for your reply! I've looked at that Technical Guide. I can't get past step two where it talks about "2. Press the TRIP button until the customization trip page is reached." The only "TRIP button" I can find is the one on the turn signal stalk that shows up in the DIC. When I get there and push the button it resets the trip odometer and nothing else. I'm probably missing something, but I can't get any further with it.

I'm wondering if I need to enable the immobilizer in the BCM?
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

My 2014 also came with a single brass key, no fob. I ordered the fob online, had it cut, and followed this https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/ ... 3-9999.pdf. Everything works including remote start.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Thanks BulesBro, but how did you get past this step?

"Enter the learn mode by first using a key that is already programmed to the vehicle"

I don't have any key already programmed to the car...
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Lord Vader wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:47 pm Thanks BulesBro, but how did you get past this step?

"Enter the learn mode by first using a key that is already programmed to the vehicle"

I don't have any key already programmed to the car...
simply inserting the brass key and going to "run" was all that was required for this step. My brass key does seem to have the RF chip in it. Picture included of my original key.
Key_resize.JPG
Key_resize.JPG (173.74 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Ok, thanks. My brass key does not have a transponder in it. I found out why today. I caved and took the car to a locksmith. They told me they could not get the car to go into program mode because there was a transponder in the car somewhere. I really doubted them because I saw in the BCM programming that a security option was not enabled. They told me PD's will take a transponder and place it in the car to fake the car into thinking a key was in the ignition. They told me there is a key ring that circles the ignition switch and that is the receiver for the transponder. Again, I didn't believe it. On my way home I looked at the plastic around the ignition switch. Sure enough, there were screwdriver marks around it. When I got home I opened the steering column up and found the key ring removed from the ignition switch and a flip key wire tied to it, all laying in the bottom of the column cover.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pCeKjr ... sp=sharing

So now I'm thinking I've got it made. I cut the wire ties, put the ring back on the ignition switch, and buttoned it all back up. Before I got all cocky with what I figured had to be an original flip key that came with the car, I checked the battery in it and found it was good. I tried the door locks and trunk but it doesn't work. I'm afraid to try the procedure BluesBro pointed out because I didn't think the remote would be programmed from an existing key with a FOB that wasn't already working. I'm not sure what my next move will be. Probably back to the locksmith?
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

What a lucky break. The programming procedure may still work, as my original key had no fob and programmed the new fob.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

OK, BluesBro. I took a shot of whiskey and performed the procedure you referred me to on all three of my new FOBs. To my amazement, all three start the car, and the FOB functions work except the panic button, which I expected. The original FOB still does not work but I guess I really don't care.

Thanks for your advice! I still don't understand how I didn't brick the whole car during this process!

Thanks again!