2011 - "Zone" and "Auto" dash lights flickering/dim

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
dorqus

2011 - "Zone" and "Auto" dash lights flickering/dim

Post by dorqus »

So noticed this a few nights ago, that the "Zone" and "Auto" lights were flickering, sometimes going dim, other times working normally - does not seem to be related to engine RPM. I thought it was the battery, so I got a new one today (AC Delco 94R-AGM, manufactured in September 2021 from summitracing.com) so I know it's not the battery. I thought it was maybe due to my Range AFM Disabler, so I shut down the car, removed it, but the lights are still flickering. Here's a photo of what it looks like:
PXL_20211209_232243443.jpg
PXL_20211209_232243443.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 999 times
The "Zone" and "Auto" words should be lit up like everything else is. Any thoughts on what this could be or where to start chasing it down? Thanks! I don't know if those knobs have individual bulbs, or if the whole assembly is lit up by the same light source (or if it's even meant to be user serviceable and replaced/repaired?) The HVAC controls work fine. I could not cause the lights to go dim or bright, tried shutting off the radio, the HVAC controls, revving the engine, having it idle, etc. It's also odd that they flicker/dim together, not separately.
s/c'd cav

Re: 2011 - "Zone" and "Auto" dash lights flickering/dim

Post by s/c'd cav »

its very likely you hvac panel need to be replaced , if it was the whole panels lights doing it , then i would say its something else
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

OK thank you!
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

I have not taken the caprice hvac controls apart but I have taken many apart in other cars. They use surface mount leds to light the controls and usually if they dim it is due to a resistor failing somewhere inside. If you have a little electronic experience you can usually isolate the component by following the low voltage. The components are very cheap if you feel like digging in yourself.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
dorqus

Post by dorqus »

Thanks, I'll probably just replace it if I can find another one (which might be a challenge) Debugging electrical stuff is not my forte.
65 Z-16

Post by 65 Z-16 »

OK, I know I'm rezzing an old post but I just can't help myself...
is there any relation between your flickering "zone" and "auto" lights and your distance from the nearest "Autozone" store? :lol: jk lolz
sorry. I'll shut up and go back to sleep, lol