Help! My clockspring unwound!

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Blackjack

Help! My clockspring unwound!

Post by Blackjack »

I was installing my ZL1 steering wheel when the clock spring unwound itself. The wheel was stuck on there pretty good, so I gave it hefty yank and it flew off. The airbag plugs yanked the clockspring apart and the ribbon went all over the place. I was able to stuff all of the ribbon back inside and mount the new wheel, but it set a stabilitrack code and now, there's a warning to service it and the wheel rides slightly to the right, maybe 12:15 or 12:20. I know they're not crazy expensive, but I need to drive this thing all week and if there's some secret I'm missing to fix the stabilitrack warning, I'd like to do it. If anyone can help, thanks.
GammaFlat

Re: Help! My clockspring unwound!

Post by GammaFlat »

** more updates **
I've not played with clock spring on my Caprice but I have on other GM cars. *disclaimer
You might be able to get it back into a good spot. The idea is to not break the "film wire". You don't want to wind it too tight and you don't want it to run out of room to "unwind". It might not be that bad because your are going to be off by one or more full turns in one direction, one or more full turns in the other direction, or dead on. If you dare... rotate until it won't any more. Then you know you have the "don't go any further than this spot". Unwind at least one turn. (what is the max rotation of our steering wheels?.. one full turn... more?). The clock spring will "want" to unwind so you'll go the opposite direction to "tighten". Be GENTLE.

The steering wheel is probably easier to fix. Pull it off and make it 12 o'clock when the wheels are straight.
Your code is likely the steering wheel location sensor reporting "not 12 o'clock" while car thinks it's going straight. This is for purposes of traction control. If you have broken your clock spring and if my memory serves, your steering wheel location sensor won't work either. I seem to recall that the sensor is talking through your clock spring as well as all the buttons on your steering wheel.

On the one I had apart, there was a sort of add on module on the clock spring that was the steering wheel "locator". That's the part that's getting you in trouble for the code. If you end up replacing the clock spring, you may have the option of not having to buy the "steering wheel location sensor thing" which likely adds to cost. When I bought mine, I was able to move the steering wheel sensor over to the new clock spring. My clock spring needed to be replaced because I was adding more features (stereo controls) and my original clock spring had less conductors (than the new one). I also ended up adding "steering wheel parts" that had the buttons and connectors for the additional conductors.

Good luck. Hope this helps. Ask more questions if I'm not being clear.

If you have to replace, consider a junk yard but ask if you can remove it yourself so that you can wrap tape around it as you remove it so you don't get into the same spot... also, note the position of the front wheels (probably straight). You may even want to pass on a car that has the steering wheel turned.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
shawnjon82

Post by shawnjon82 »

I have a few clock springs available in Fresno,Ca
Just send me a pm
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Thanks. I wound it up towards the right side until it stopped and then backtracked about 2.5 turns, thinking it would take around two and then the other half to line up the tabs again. I'll check on prodemand and see what they have to say, when I get back to work. Apparently, I chose the wrong spot. A new clock spring ( which doesn't actually "spring" btw) is only around 50 bucks. It's more a matter of time and wanting to fix things that are broken.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Just for a quick update. I think what I did wrong was that I left the steering wheel set upside down, where it has to be to remove the airbag. The book says to wind it until it stops and then back up 2.5 turns and check in the little window to make sure you see the cable u-turn or loop. I did all of that, but with the notch facing down. The book wants the notch up and the car going dead straight. I'm going to try again this morning and see if I can get it re-centered. I'm baffled on the misalignment, because the wheel has clocking notches. It can only go on one way. Maybe I'll have to get an alignment to fix that.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Yeah, that's unfortunate. The wheel I had off most recently was not "keyed" and could go on any position you wanted. That was a Pontiac Vibe. The forums all warned of marking your steering wheel location (before removal) but the assumption was you were putting the one you took off back on. You may need an alignment guy to fix your steering wheel but you need to make sure he does not turn the wheel any more than necessary as you might snap the clockspring (ShawnJon82's got you covered if it does break :)). If the alignment guy doesn't know what a clockspring is, you might need to educate him a little.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Thanks Shawnjon. I ordered a new one. I tried resetting it, this time lining up the backup marks from the camera first, but it didn't help. I mean, at least the b/u lines are normal, but same warning. Steering wheel feels great, at least. Pretty sure the clockspring was crunched previously. It's missing all of the locking tabs and there's no plastic pieces anywhere. I think they lined it up and squished it with the wheel. The old wheel seems new-ish for 100k miles. Still no idea why the wheel is a few degrees off center. BTW, the new C/S was $43.00 plus shipping.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

As mentioned, the wheel sensor is attached to the clock spring. The new one you get won't have one if it was like mine.... Save the parts until you are done.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Yeah, thanks. I'm going to have to drive it, so I put it all back together until I get the new one. The sensor is underneath. Pretty sure it stays with the column when the c/s comes out. Thanks for your help.
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Hi Blackjack,
Where did you find the new clockspring for $43? Every new one i looked at was north of $200. GM part number 92265886.

Thanks
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National