Pontiac G8 fuel door latch - retrofit possible?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
elc32955
System Manager

Pontiac G8 fuel door latch - retrofit possible?

Post by elc32955 »

Hey all,

Quick question. With gas thefts on the rise and us having no gas door protection, I'm wondering if the Pontiac G8 gas door lock can be retrofitted to our cars. Looks like it's either PN 92287825 or 92216665 depending on which revision you want.

The way I understood the system worked was through the central locking system. I've not played with a G8 assembly, but looks like it either has a striker pin either through the door latch striker or out of the way (unlocked when central locking is unlocked).

Don't know how we'd get to the hole it's supposed to be mounted in but it looks like a major PITA from a 20-second swag.

Anyone play with this before as a mod?

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Re: Pontiac G8 fuel door latch - retrofit possible?

Post by Mooseman »

Might not help as apparently the method to steal gas these days is to drill a hole in the plastic tank.

As of late, I just keep the lights on outside and have cameras. My driveway is lit up like a football field. With LED bulbs, it's cheap insurance.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Some well-equipped people are using that method, not all. The gas door solenoid prevents what we used to call in the L.E. business "a crime of opportunity". I can't stop a drill bit into the tank, but I can deter a casual overnight neighborhood thief with an old-school siphon hose, lol. If things get crazier with gas prices there's no telling what we will see - there was a reason locking gas caps did so well in the late 1970's :)

Anyway, I found a video on YouTube which completely goes through the process on a G8. After watching the video, it looks like it's not too much of a pain labor-wise after all. Here's the linky...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weKjYpKTJZk

Now, the kicker will be to check to see if we have the connection in the trunk to the central locking system wiring, I haven't gotten that far yet. Even if we don't, it wouldn't be too awfully hard to run two conductors to the latch then intercept the lock conductors for the right rear door around the bottom of the B-pillar.

More investigation required.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

AND.... you know it really pays to do a derailed search. I thought we had discussed this before and looked around quite extensively before I posted on this thread, but I must have just missed it. This is a good write-up that NavyLifer did in 2013 right after we got going. Even I can't keep complete track of what we have on here..... So, read this thread...

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 2d&start=0

Apparently the SS guys have the same issues that we do, the G8 is the only model that received the locking gas door. Check out this thread..

https://www.ssforums.com/threads/gas-door-lock.42882/

Anyway, the info is out there for anyone that wants to attempt it. Bill did it years ago on his car and it works. 'nuff said!

Eric
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

youll have to find used parts , they were discontinued long ago

also like most actuators they have issues , and plastic parts break
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I just picked one of these latch assemblies up via EBAY for $40 shipped, guess I'm doing to do the dive into the wiring soon. These palliative price reductions on gas will only last for so long before they revert to their now higher level based on supply and market conditions. When things get crazy again, I want my tank to lock. So, we'll see how the install goes!

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a quick update, looks like too much time has passed. The OEM harness pigtail that plugs into the G8 latch assembly, an AC Delco PT1516 or GM PN# 88953305 is now NLA from all sources except salvage yards. The compatibility shows for 2003-2011 Cadillac CTS, 2004-2009 Cadillac SRX, 2005-2010 Cadillac STS and 2008-2009 Pontiac G8. If there is a replacement number for the pigtail for the newer Chevrolet latch (#92252476) I don't have that PN. So, if you want to use the OEM pigtail you'll have to do a little harness chopping out of a donor car to pick your part. SNIP!

According to the old threads the two wires you want to intercept are located under the seatbelt mechanism for the passenger side B-pillar, they're a brown w/yellow stripe wire and a solid gray wire. The latch works to lock/unlock with positive/negative reversal on each conductor, so there's two potential ways to wire the connection. So, it's vital you check to make sure the way you have the wiring is for latch/door unlock when the unlock command is pressed via central locking, if not just reverse the wires & retest. Attach your own two-conductor wire from the car harness (soldered preferably) back through the rear seat area to the trunk where it will connect with the latch. You'll need to pull the lower B-pillar cover, the C-pillar cover, and the scuff plate for the RR passenger door to run your wiring.

More later when I actually have the time to do the project. Bill, I'm just regurgitating information you developed 9 years ago - thanks again for the legwork!

One other thing - one of the advantages to doing this mod is that it prevents spurious violent opening of your gas door when a car wash blower hits it. My 2011 was very bad about that, go through the Jiffy Wash and BAM! the fuel door was open coming out of the pit. One other owner anecdotally had his door assembly make a dent when it high-speed opened (reminds me of what SpaceX calls an explosion... a "Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly"). So far I can't say I've seen the problem with the 2015.

Thanks
Eric