2014 xm Hookup

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
anwat

Re: 2014 xm Hookup

Post by anwat »

It says that is for vehicles without Mylink, which mine has. But just the same, it lookl like it should work, especially since it says it's for audio in AND usb. Which to me, means audio in is expected to be on the 3.5 mm plug. I'm trying to figure out what signal the XM unit puts out, what format and whehter or not its digital or analog. That might help with the right adapter, also.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

USB is a digital siglal , the 3.5 is audio like head phones

and the adapter part # is from the SS which is a mylink , and no different from ours , just their radio has all the bells and whistles
anwat

Post by anwat »

After reading the article that bstoner posted again, several times, and thinking about it, I don't think what I'm trying to do is possible. If I'm understanding it correctly, the fact that my radio will play something from a thumb drive that's plugged in to the USB port tells me that the port is looking for a digital signal. The output from my satellite is a 3.5mm jack, telling me that it's a analog signal, just looking for amplification. While I can find plenty of things that will turn an analog signal into a digital one, going the other way seems to take a bit more work. I believe that unless I convert the satellite receiver's output into a digital signal, the radio won't play it. If it's converted, it will be just like plugging a thumb drive into the USB port.

IF that reasoning is correct, then I need to buy something that converts the analog signal to a digital one, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Converte ... 09&sr=8-19, otherwise known as an ADC.

I'll call White's on Monday and see if there's anything he can do, but unless he can find a way to get an outside analog signal into the amp portion of the silverbox, I think the ADC is the only option shy of replacing the siverbox with one already equipped with XM.

Does that sound correct to you guys that know about tech stuff?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Anwat, basically the only hope you have of using the stock stereo currently installed is to wire the aux input line from the back of the silverbox which is not currently wired in your radio harness out to a location that you can put an audio jack of your choice to. The 14-15 radios had the aux port enabled in programming, however that does not translate to wires off the harness. That part was omitted. The only reason we had the USB port left intact was for dealership technician use as needed.

So, choice here for you is simple. Either use the wiring diagrams to pin a new cable into the radio harness that will plug into the appropriate vacant holes in the connector, run a lead to where you want and terminate it into whatever jack you want to use the AUX port, or forklift the silverbox to one out of another car and have it programmed (or do it yourself). Our OEM installed radios will not do XM as they have been de-contented.

Check with Steve Walker as I believe he did have a cable made up if you want to use your AUX input on your existing silverbox, then it's up to you to pass whatever analog audio you want through it. External XM radio? Fine, as long as it has an analog output that will match up to your input jack.

Right now the SS-type radios are $150 or less on Ebay, if you get one of those you will get a unit that has both XM and NAV enabled and will work with the appropriate antennas hooked up. As long as you have the unit programmed with your VIN of course. The nav unit has older maps, how old depends if the last owner ever updated them. If you're trying to do this on a budget just hook your existing radio's aux line up then use it as you will.

Like the old ads say, "Some assembly required".

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
anwat

Post by anwat »

OK, that makes sense. I was a little confused there, I was thinking the USB was the AUX input, since there isn't another one showing. I didn't realize it wasn't actually there, the provision was just in the harness. When I plugged the memory stick into the USB, it didn't play on the AUX selection, it played on the USB source. I was assuming the AUX input was there because it wasn't greyed out.
So I need to actually add the AUX input to the harness, meaning I should be able to just wire in a 3.5mm female plug and be good to go. I will contact Steve Walker and see if he has one, if not, I should be able to splice one in. Thanks, I get exactly what's going on now, or at least I think I do. I'll post up when I get it up and running!
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Also, there's a sticky post at the top of the stereo page titled "How to add your own aux in cable to a GM receptacle ". If you go to that post it's for a 11-13 car, HOWEVER there's a link to another thread that Steve wrote a few years back with the pin-out and info for the 2014 & up cars. See if that thread helps you out any.

Have fun!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.