No low speed cooling fans when AC operating - part number needed!

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
s/c'd cav

Re: Part number needed

Post by s/c'd cav »

elc32955 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:46 am OOPSIE! Was trying to do too many things at once last night and typo'd the number I ordered in my last post, sorry about that. I actually did order the 19119299. Should be here in a few days, once it arrives I'll get it in and see what happens.

The good news is that it looks like the fans are working correctly thermostatically. We had some pretty heavy traffic last night coming up from Melbourne I was caught in due to a vehicle fire on I-95 where things were backed up for miles. Was watching the temp creep up slowly whilst doing the Interstate crawl, and after the temp went above 195... WHAM! It took an abrupt dive down to the lower 170's, evened out, and slowly started climbing again after a min or two. So it must just be whatever output is coming out of the AC relay for the low-speed fan activation when the compressor is engaged that went wonky.

Now the $64,000 question is.... how did that substandard relay get installed in the first place? Things that make you go Hmmmm.......

Eric
OK , just wanted to make sure i didnt miss something , which happens from time to time , lol

yeah likely they went to a parts store and got it , or they plucked it from something else sitting around just to get things moving
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

This is rather strange. I'm sure it's all OEM, something wonky that was sourced from a down-under parts provider. Look carefully at my block, pics as earlier promised...
uhblock1.jpeg
uhblock1.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1253 times
uhblock2.jpeg
uhblock2.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1253 times
ALL of the little rectangle relays appear to be made by the "JEM" group, and I don't see any GM part numbers on any of them. And they ALL seem to have that "GF-33" part number on top. At least three are marked "35A" for a heavier current application. I threw the diagram in just so we had a 1 for 1 roadmap. How in the heck are we supposed to have an accurate swap-out quickly in case of failure? I guess Holden had a method behind the madness, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what. Or their own numbering/labeling system. Even the physical block itself is marked with a GM logo, then a "PA-66 GF15" number. Maybe they imitated that little canary in the early morning, the first sound it makes is "CHEEP" :)
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

yeah none of those look like GM's normally used relays , ill have to pop the hood and take a look and pic of mine , nowing its never been touched by anyone other than the selling dealer in FL , and my local dealer and me
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Unraveled a bit of the mystery today based on detective work with the "YHTEC" label. The manufacturer of the accessories junction block is apparently the Younghwa Tech Co Ltd. From an investor company webpage....
YOUNGHWA TECH Co., Ltd. designs, develops, manufactures, and sells automobile electronic parts in South Korea and internationally. The company offers EV and FCEV components; DC converters and on-board chargers; integrated modules; DC filters; intelligent battery sensors; HV/LV SSR; cooling fan controllers; and smart junction, junction, and self-driving car multi function box products. YOUNGHWA TECH Co., Ltd. was founded in 2000 and is based in Asan, South Korea.
Class A #1 example of the far-flung Holden supply chain at work.... Now as to the REST of the parts on the block....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Another part of the mystery is solved. My replacement relay (#19119299) came in today. In the GM bag it's marked "Made in Korea, Republic of", UPC is 08709 23717. The relay contained within is identical to what is currently in my car (including the JEM marking), the only difference is the printed ID of "VG09E" melted into the side of the case. There's also a few other numbers on the bag reading "LC 16 077-21342-1731" and next line reading "GR 9.277". The inner bag had a tag with the repeat part number and other numbers of "21K25" and "0013".

Contrary to what we saw in the order info, it's not a 35A marked relay but 10/20A marked - same as what's in the car. I'll give it a try in a few mins & see if it cures the problem.

Oh, in case anyone is interested in exploring, the home page for the Younghwa company in Korea is as follows... http://www.yhtec.com/index_en.php

Thanks
Eric
--------------------------------------------------
UPDATE - Problem solved!

I plugged the new relay in, started the car with the AC off, verified no fans operational. Engaged the AC control to "on", verified both fans now operating in low speed where they were NOT prior to the relay change. SO..... Since I'm the second owner that has had their low-speed fan problem cured by a simple relay swap, looks like we've possibly found a common point of failure here - at least for the 3.6 cars. Other owners will need to verify for the 6.0 cars the same symptoms and the same cure. I'm updating the parts list now to reflect the part number of the relay so no one else will have to do the parts number hunt as we did. Also I edited the title of the first post to make this problem/symptom/cure easier to find.

Hey s/c'd - Do you have a way to submit this problem and the fix to GM so the dealership service departments & techs can get this info? Might save other owners heartache that don't read the forums - and maybe you'll get a spiff for the write-up? BTW thanks again for all your help!

Eric
FrogDro

Re: No low speed cooling fans when AC operating - part number needed!

Post by FrogDro »

Hear me out I have the complete opposite. 2016 only runs when A/c is on other wise it’ll just boil the coolant out
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Check this thread - it has the info on the 2014 & up cooling fan operation as well as a schematic as the very last posts in the thread. There's a number of things that can go wrong with the system, so for starters have you scanned the car yet and do you have any recurring codes popping up? I know you said you're getting coolant boil, have you checked the coolant mix in the system to make sure it's living within factory spec? Caps all tight & holding good pressure? Also there is a drain & fill callout for the cooling system, 5 years or 150K miles - your car should trigger this on age being a 2016 (if you haven't done this already).

https://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2611

There's a few temperature sensors that enter into the mix as well as the possibility that the fan control module could be glitched on your car. Don't know if you have a LFX or L77 but if both fans kick in when your AC is on at least you've verified the fan motors both engage & turn, albeit at low speed.

There's more knowledgeable people here then me on the working of the fan electronics, so I'll have to defer off to wiser folks at this point.

Good luck!
Eric
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Need to get a good scan tool hooked up to it and see what the coolant temp sensor is showing and see what codes you have. Best to hook it up cold to confirm the sensor is showing close to the ambient temp. What does your temperature gauge show when it burps put the coolant?