No low speed cooling fans when AC operating - part number needed!

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
elc32955
System Manager

No low speed cooling fans when AC operating - part number needed!

Post by elc32955 »

Hey folks,

Does anyone have the part number for the 2015 3.6 Air Conditioning relay in the engine compartment, number 61 in the fuse block? I'm having issues with the electric fans coming on when the AC is running, the fan towards the passenger side sputters on & off while the driver's side fan doesn't do squat. I read in one of the other threads where a user with the WN 3.6 was having considerable fan issues during AC operation.... until he replaced the AC relay, then all seemed to return to normal. It's a cheap easter egg maneuver before I get into more extensive diagnosis - and the relay has 135K on it anyway. Can't go wrong with a quickie swap. The parts sites on the web don't have a definitive call-out for the PN, and I can't cross-reference it readily to a specific relay with the markings on the case.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Re: Part number needed

Post by s/c'd cav »

id start by swapping that relay with another good known relay , also when you pull it out , there should be a 8-digit number on it , that would be the part# or the number we would need to reference the relay

GM in their infinite wisdom , doesnt label alot of fuses or relays with a name

also , there was a recall for the fan setup
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well, I checked the complete external case for a part number and there wasn't one, that's why I posted the question. What I did find on the relay were the following markings....

PA25C (stamped on one side)

DC12V 10/20A (all on the top)
>PA66-GT-33<
JEM

Other than that the case is just unmarked black plastic. Five external leads, three in a row then two more at a 90 degree angle from the first three.

Nothing turns up on a detailed search for any of those designators. Perhaps this was an after-market swap? This car had AC work around the 50K mile timeframe so maybe the relay was R&R'd as well...

The cooling fan bulletin was a special adjustment/warranty extension to 6 years or 100K miles from the date in-service. There's a copy of Rev B in the file section (understand it went up to Rev C but just don't have the C revision to post).

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

elc32955 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:39 pm Well, I checked the complete external case for a part number and there wasn't one, that's why I posted the question. What I did find on the relay were the following markings....

PA25C (stamped on one side)

DC12V 10/20A (all on the top)
>PA66-GT-33<
JEM

Other than that the case is just unmarked black plastic. Five external leads, three in a row then two more at a 90 degree angle from the first three.

Nothing turns up on a detailed search for any of those designators. Perhaps this was an after-market swap? This car had AC work around the 50K mile timeframe so maybe the relay was R&R'd as well...

The cooling fan bulletin was a special adjustment/warranty extension to 6 years or 100K miles from the date in-service. There's a copy of Rev B in the file section (understand it went up to Rev C but just don't have the C revision to post).

Eric
i missed that you said you didnt see anything on the relay , when i searched ac relay , i got 6 different numbers , and not one said ac

if its the mini relay search GM mini relay , or if its the bigger 1" square relay , then large gm relay , pin count and color often helps as gm used black and gray

if i remember ill check monday to see what the bulletin says
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Relays listed here:

https://chevrolet.catalogs-parts.com/#{ ... 249711-0-0}

only one that is 20 amp is:

Search that number see if it looks the same as the one you are looking for

But then this one has the description: 19116058 - RELAY,A/C CMPR & FAN CONT(BLACK)(35AMP)(5 TERMINAL)(HIGH CURRENT MICRO 280)(2.483)(ACDelco #D1780C)

But 35 amp?? How many prongs you looking for under it?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Steve,

Five prongs. Here's some pictures of the beastie, should have posted these up in the first place.
Fuse61A.jpg
Fuse61A.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 1214 times
Fuse61B.jpg
Fuse61B.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 1214 times
Fuse61C.jpg
Fuse61C.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 1214 times
This is a stock pic of the WN Caprice accessory junction center, it's virtually identical to my 2015. The little relay is the last black rectangle on the lower right. I'll stick a pic of my center up when I can grab pics in the light later today, right now I'm burning the midnight oil.
2015 Caprice underhood fuse.JPG
2015 Caprice underhood fuse.JPG (45.35 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
In looking at pics of the 19116058 it appears to be the wrong size, both in form factor and the size of the prongs on the bottom. The 13500113 seemed to be the same way. I've also tried searching on the JEM letters, various combinations of the listed numbers did reference to micro relays by Tyco which match the identical form factor with correct prong placement and sizes, but there's a number of combos out in the wild apparently.

This is maddening!! I'm going to PM user Odyssey as he was the OP on the other thread who DID successfully replace his relay. He might have a part number or source hopefully.... and the AC relay seemed to be the silver bullet that cured his fan problem. His thread is in the same forum subsection for a quick read. The 4th to the last post is the one I'm going by.

Thanks
Eric
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

here is the part # for the relay you need - 19119299

here is the screen shot of when i search AC relay , so as you can see they dont list one specifically for the AC , and the relay is specifically listed for the WIPER SPEED , i google searched each # to find one that matched your picture , lol

RELAY.jpg
RELAY.jpg (329.74 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just ordered the 92199311. We'll see if it works... You know, if the relay was only rated for 20A that was originally installed, makes you wonder how much current runs through that relay total. If an improper relay was installed, over time and with over-current stress it makes perfect sense that something could break down with it. If it does work I'll add it to the parts database.

Thanks s/c'd and Steve!

Eric
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

elc32955 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:41 pm Just ordered the 92199311. We'll see if it works... You know, if the relay was only rated for 20A that was originally installed, makes you wonder how much current runs through that relay total. If an improper relay was installed, over time and with over-current stress it makes perfect sense that something could break down with it. If it does work I'll add it to the parts database.

Thanks s/c'd and Steve!

Eric
thats not the number i posted , 19119299 when googled look just like the one you posted

the number you posted when google has the small pins , not the fat pins
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

OOPSIE! Was trying to do too many things at once last night and typo'd the number I ordered in my last post, sorry about that. I actually did order the 19119299. Should be here in a few days, once it arrives I'll get it in and see what happens.

The good news is that it looks like the fans are working correctly thermostatically. We had some pretty heavy traffic last night coming up from Melbourne I was caught in due to a vehicle fire on I-95 where things were backed up for miles. Was watching the temp creep up slowly whilst doing the Interstate crawl, and after the temp went above 195... WHAM! It took an abrupt dive down to the lower 170's, evened out, and slowly started climbing again after a min or two. So it must just be whatever output is coming out of the AC relay for the low-speed fan activation when the compressor is engaged that went wonky.

Now the $64,000 question is.... how did that substandard relay get installed in the first place? Things that make you go Hmmmm.......

Eric